The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 05:12:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Changing Gender

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Gender  (Read 437 times)
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:46:16 pm »

The Doctor mentioned some guy and said he was able to regenerate into men and women, but then implied that he wasn't a Time Lord. Did I mishear something because now I'm not sure if they can or not? Do you think its now certain that they can change gender, and how do you feel about it either way?

I personally hate it. Well I don't hate it, I just never want to see it
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51:34 pm »

It must NEVER happen to the Doctor. Other than that, I don't care
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 09:09:24 pm »

Yes, he definitely said that the Corsair was a Time Lord and had been both sexes.  I definitely hope that's not setting anything up.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:22:44 pm »

No! it just wouldn't be right if the Doctor was a woman!
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:26:48 pm »

Yes, he definitely said that the Corsair was a Time Lord and had been both sexes.  I definitely hope that's not setting anything up.

I'm with Nyki here. I heard that he was a Time Lord - one of the good ones - & had been both genders.

Fine let others be able to regenerate into both but not the Doctor - please, not him.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:30:15 pm »

It did seem there to open the possibility in the audiences mind Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 10:00:21 pm »

Not to sound sexist, but if they made The Doctor a woman, I'd walk away.

It's fine to say it by all means, but having him become a her is a no fly zone for me.
Report Spam   Logged

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 11:31:44 pm »

"Fantastic"

"Allons-y!"

"Geronimo!"

"Hello, Sweetie"

I wouldn't like it either.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 11:35:05 pm »

I'm going to go against the grain here. I actually wouldn't mind. But there are two warnings I would say;

1) If you dare do this thing you absolutely have to get the right actress. I can't think of one but she has got to be beyond sensational

2) If you dare do this thing you have to write it better than anything that has been written before.

I suspect that I have, probably, the most liberal views in fandom on this and I would advise caution and tell them to think very carefully and decide not to do it. 
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 02:02:09 am »

I'm kinda with Vampyros Adric on this. My natural instinct is against it, but if the scripts and the actor were sufficiently awesome, I think I could be persuaded.

There's nothing in the tv scripts (as far as I'm aware - I could well be wrong) continuity-wise that would prevent it, but it would go so much against people's established view of the show and the character that if they were ever to do it they would have to do it so well that any subsequent arguments against it would seem absurd. A very big ask, but not impossible.

So if anyone were ever to take the decision to do it, they would have to truly believe that they were the best scriptwriter that the show had ever had: and not only would they have to believe it, they'd have to be right.

Truly great writing, in Doctor Who and elsewhere, is writing that makes us think that things that had previously seemed impossible, or that we just would never have thought of, are entirely plausible. To convincingly turn the Doctor into a woman would take the best writing in the entire history of the show. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but it would take something truly miraculous to make it work.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 12:41:49 pm »

I've said this time and time again to some of my mates, if a Time Lord can change gender then how can marriage happen?Huh? Surely right if a time lord is born male they stay male or vice versa don't you think?Huh? Wouldn't it be weird if your Time Lord husband suddenly became a women?Huh? No can't happen with the Doctor I'm sorry but if he becomes a women I'm gonna stop watching it cause its not right
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 03:09:27 pm »

I'm with TheFifthDoctor. I will put up with pretty much anything with this show because I love it, but I would give it up if we had a woman Doctor
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 05:39:49 pm »

On one of the classic DVD extras (Time and The Rani i think). They talked about how they might 'save' the show in the mid 1980s. As part of that they actually got the 'creator' of Doctor Who, Sydney Newman back and asked for his suggestions. His first suggestion was to re-cast the part of the Doctor as a woman. So it is not a new thing for this to be suggested - it has been kicking around for well over 20 years.

Just be very very careful would be my advice. I think Who fans would actually give the first episode a go (well perhaps only me and Dame Roger lol) so that first episode would have to be better than anything we have seen before. It is possible - look at how well Sapphire did in Sapphire and Steel - but I wouldn't fancy being the show runner who risked it.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 05:50:32 pm »

The Doctor is a man and should stay that way. If the people upstairs ever made him regenerate into a woman it would be purely because they could and it would be self indulgent crap and not to make the stories better. There is no reason why he should ever become a woman when there will always be a male actor to take the role. Its like on Buffy. Slayers are always women. 'One girl in all the world...' and when a slayer dies another woman is chosen. How lame would it have been if some dude rolled up in town as the new slayer? Why change something so ingrained just for the sake of doing it? The thing is Moffat seems to like being the one who says 'look what I can do, I can change what I like' and while its well within his rights, its wouldnt surprise me at all if he tried it
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Hartnell chronowire
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Matt smith/Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 3 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 06:15:01 pm »

Don't forget spoof or no moff already wrote the doctor as a woman in curse of the fatal death for red nose day
Report Spam   Logged

have you ever wondered what its like to wander in the fourth dimension
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 07:41:00 pm »

No way. I can't think of one single reason why it would be a good idea to make the Doctor a woman. It wouldnt work, no matter how good the actress or how good the writing
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 10:01:24 pm »

I can see what VA & DR are saying, and I'd certainly give it a chance.  I think, although it's never been said in so many words, it's clear that Time Lords are normally single sex - not one single regeneration seen on the show (the Doctor, the Master, Borusa, Romana, Kanpo and probably a few others) have ever been cross-gender, and there seem plenty of reasons why they shouldn't be.  If it happened, it would need to be an anomaly but, as Roranicus said, I can't think of any reason to do it other than "because we can".

If it happened, though, I'd hope to be proved wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 11:25:42 am »

I have to say, I am with the majority. I don't want to see the Doctor (or any other Time Lord, really) changing sex. I can't think of a single reason why it would benefit the show or story and I don't think it would ever really work. As Roranicus said, it would just be a case of people doing it because they could
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Kazairl
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: 2 and 10

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 07:08:32 pm »

I'd be against it too, but here are some arguments that I don't know what for but post them anyway:

- In the War Games, the Doctor has choice between several regenerations, which means that (with help?), Time Lords can choose their own new body. Maybe the Corsair consciously chose to be a woman.

- The Doctor himself doesn't seem to be the best at creating his own new body as he is always surprised when he sees himself the first time.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 10:36:53 pm »

- The Doctor himself doesn't seem to be the best at creating his own new body as he is always surprised when he sees himself the first time.

My interpretation has always been that the Doctor's regenerations are always "traumatic", so he doesn't get a choice.  Certainly the 2nd Doctor, K'anpo and Romana all seem to suggest that ideally Time Lords can choose their new bodies (although I can't believe in the try-out system Romana uses).  That doesn't mean the choice doesn't have limitations, though.  Then again, the new body might have to "match" the Time Lord in some way, and there could be situations where the opposite gender is a better match.  I can't see that being true of the Doctor, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: