The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 03:54:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

New Companion/s Expectations

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Companion/s Expectations  (Read 990 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: May 27, 2011, 10:47:08 pm »

Ok, so I think the cat is pretty much out of the bag that the companions, or at the very least Rory, will be packing up and heading out of the TARDIS, so what do we want from the next TARDIS occupants?
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:56:15 pm »

I'd still really like to have just a male companion with the Doctor - we haven't had that since the show returned & I think it would make a nice change.

Canton would be good  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:10:17 pm »

I want River full time, for half a series at least. I wouldnt mind a M/M dynamic in the TARDIS but I don't think they would do it as I think they need a female there. I remember an interview a few years back about how important it is to have a woman in a regular role on the show as a way to draw in more female viewers or something. It might not be the right thing to do but I figure they will stick to that formula
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:19:03 pm »

River would be good too.

I'm personally not of the opinion that they need a woman in it to get women to watch (do they actually ask us ladies what we want?!) - just good & interesting stories & characters is all I ask for. Maybe that's just me though - we've already established elsewhere that I'm odd!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:24:17 pm »

I don't think they need a woman, but I do think its good to have that difference. But thats also why I like having two like Amy and Rory, because then you get to see the difference between how they tackle each adventure from a fresh perspective as the Doctor is probably a little jaded by it all now so doesnt really count
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 11:42:23 pm »

AK full time would make me all sorts of happy!!

Other than her I want someone either from the past or another planet
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 11:42:47 pm »

And preferably female. I dont think the M/M dynamic would work very well
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 11:51:04 pm »

Just me for that then  Tongue

It would have to be the right male companion for it to work anyway.

I guess I'm just irked that someone behind the scenes thinks that you need females to get females to watch. I have nothing against female companions I just hate the assumption - not directed at anyone here at all. And it's probably just a hang over from my annoyance with something Matthew Vaughn said about women & the new X-Men film yesterday - I'm slightly sensitive. Apologies  Smiley

Someone from the past would be great too. Would make a nice change from 21st century Earth  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 11:55:04 pm »

I read the same thing that Exterminate is talking about. It might have been in The Writers Tale or something. I seem to remember RTD saying it anyway. I don't think it was his opinion though, I think it was one of the early stipulations from the BBC. Whether they still feel the same now though is anyones guess.

If they went with a guy only companion it could work I guess. Right now it's not something I want but if it worked I'm sure it would be great, but like you said it needs to be exactly right and if they mess it up then it won't go down well. They would have to try and do it without any of the sort of 'typical blokey' stereotypes attached.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 11:58:00 pm »

I kind of suspected it would have come from the BBC rather than the actual DW team. Can't say I'm surprised in all honesty  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 12:00:56 am »

The BBC are still a bit backwards in their ways I think.

What was the X-Men comment about?
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 12:16:39 am »

He said he asked Take That to do the music as his strategy to get women to go and see it  Roll Eyes

Again probably just me who finds that a smidge insulting cause I was going to go & see it anyway. And if I'm honest, the fact that Take That are doing the music has the opposite effect for me - not what I would have picked for a superhero movie & I'm not keen on the song either.

Still I guess there will be women out there who do go & see it for that reason. And men too I suspect.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 12:32:50 am »

That does sound like some sort of "received media wisdom" thing (is "media wisdom" an oxymoron?) and it's just possible it might have an effect on casual viewers, but I don't think people are nearly as much "men or women" as they seem to assume.

There's never really been just a male companion long term, just a story or so between females (Stephen, Jamie, Adric, Turlough).  I'd be fine with that, if it's the right companion.  I do like the dynamic of having a male and female, though generally I'd rather they were unconnected (I'm fine with Amy and Rory, but I don't want them to repeat it any time soon).  I'd like a non-21st-century-human companion too.  Someone genuinely alien (ie not human-looking) would be interesting, but I'm not sure they'd go for that.  A historical figure would be great too.
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 01:19:57 am »

Canton ♥ Cheesy

I for one, don't want River full time, I love River, completely and utterly, just prefer her, lack of order and alt timeline and think she works better staying wibbly wobbly not constant, by all means, have her in more Eps, but not whole series constant Smiley

I want an alien. I do, I want an alien, I've said it for a long time, I think, even a basic humaniodal alien, with a little difference would do, I mean, it adds a whole new dimension, failing that the classic companion from the past would be fun... Get to play on technology, get someone from, what 1960-70's? Technology is growing, but boom to the future... Reluctant on future kind, could work, but then you'll be working with spoilers half the time, no, they'd stay clear of that...

I do rather hope that they don't stay on track and try and keep the modern link of having a family/background based in Modern England and keep returning to that location, yeah it adds depth and allows an easier connection, but it gets boring!

I think a male companion would be wonderful, be so different and refreshing, doesn't need to be all series, but some of it, very interesting, we are always testing writers abilities with female characters, but I think at the same time, a new angle of man would be interesting...
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 02:39:32 am »

I do rather hope that they don't stay on track and try and keep the modern link of having a family/background based in Modern England and keep returning to that location, yeah it adds depth and allows an easier connection, but it gets boring!

Completely agree with this. I understand entirely why all the companions since the show came back have been from modern-day Earth, but now that it's been back for a while, and Steven Moffat is getting braver and more ambitious in taking it to new and interesting places, I think it's time to branch out a bit. Have an alien companion, or a human one from an entirely different time. I think the show is sufficiently well-established now for people to not need to see things through the eyes of a companion from the same background as themselves, they're ready for all the main characters to be from somewhere entirely different.
In many ways to do this would would be the bravest decision Moffat (and the BBC bosses, who could presumably veto him if they thought he was going too far) has yet taken, and I hope he goes for it!
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 10:31:50 am »

I think the idea of River full time would be good but it does look like they only meet every so often, like popping up now and then so having someone completely different in the TARDIS would be my preference. A male companion would be good to see, just to see how their relationship went, like two best mates having a laugh Smiley would certainly be interesting to watch
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 11:55:22 am »

I'd like someone from the past, but perhaps not too far back, the 60's say. Perhaps something draws the Doctor back to Coal Hill School in 1963 and he ends up taking one of her classmates with him or something Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 03:30:44 pm »

I think a companion from the 60's would be great. Just the fact that when the show began airing that was contemporary and now we are seeing it as 'historical' I think is great. It would probably be a bit too fanwanky to have a companion from Coal Hill School though Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 05:41:44 pm »

I for one, don't want River full time, I love River, completely and utterly, just prefer her, lack of order and alt timeline and think she works better staying wibbly wobbly not constant, by all means, have her in more Eps, but not whole series constant Smiley

I completely agree with this.  River's great as a recurring character (like the Master, though on the other side - presumably) but it would destroy the mystery to have her around all the time.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 02:58:17 pm »

Someone from the past would be awesome. Also, a genuine looking alien would also be great. Would probably limit Earth stories, but I don't mind that. Someone/thing like Chan Tho or something would be cool
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: