The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 03:11:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

New Companion/s Expectations

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Companion/s Expectations  (Read 965 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 02:29:38 pm »

I was sure there was a thread for this already, but I couldn't find it so here we go.

What are your hopes and expectations for the new companion? Matt Smith said this week he would like a full time male companion (guess he forgot about Rory), but what about you?

I've said this before but I would prefer a female or two (I wouldn't mind a male in there as long as its all platonic), but most importantly I want someone who isn't contemporary. I would be happy with anything before, say, 1990 ish. That is if they are human and from Earth though. I'd also be really happy to have someone from another planet or race. I wouldn't mind if they are humanoid as long as they are written 'alien', if that makes sense.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 05:38:34 pm »

There is a thread about this or at least pretty similar because I remember discussing it before. If I find it I'll merge them (EDIT - I found it so I've merged them now)

I'm with Matt - I would like to see a man. I suspect he probably means just a man rather than a couple. I'd just like to see that dynamic played out more - we got to see flashes of it sometimes with Rory, but I'd like to see it explored. Just my preference, though I'd be surprised if it happened.

As for other stuff - if they have to be human I'd like to see someone from the past. I would like to see an alien though.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 09:35:39 pm »

I'd like to see a platonic male/female pair - something like Jamie/Zoe or Sarah/Harry.  And I completely agree with the historic or alien.  Perhaps one of each.  I'd actually love to see someone from way-back trying to cope with the TARDIS and everything.  A bit like Katarina should have been.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 07:37:45 pm »

Cheers PRG. I knew there was another thread around here somewhere.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 07:52:18 pm »

I think I would ideally like a single, female companion - it works well (in my opinion) when the TARDIS isn't too crowded. I loved the way Rose and the Doctor started off and think that was a magical formula (Jo Grant, SJS, Leela, Mel, Ace etc) I think it lends itself to one companion (otherwise the plots either look a bit busy or have one companion not doing a lot).

I like Nyki's idea about the "Intelligent but uneducated.." companion - that might work really well.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 11:55:54 am »

I like having two companions, but I think they should be on equal footing. With Amy and Rory it always felt like Rory was her companion and there was a sort of gap between him and the Doctor. It probably stemmed from them being married and he only being there because of her.

As for the whens and wheres, I would be happy with a contemporary companion but only if we have one that isn't, at the same time. Although not my favourite companion, someone like Polly from the 'swinging sixties' I think could go over well. Modern enough to not be completely oblivious to technology but from a time far enough back to not feel like all the other companions we've had since the show returned.
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 07:57:59 pm »

I'm not bothered about an alien or futuristic companion as much as I want someone from the past. Another Victorian companion would be good. Or perhaps even further back. 16th or 15th century, maybe.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 11:51:03 am »

Era of the companion aside though, I think it's important that the show stays away from love stories. They never work for me. Rose and Mickey, Rose and the Doctor, Martha and the Doctor, Amy and Rory. It makes the show too 'soapy'. Especially when it involves the Doctor, unrequited or not. I thought having a married couple in the TARDIS would be interesting, and it worked at times, but for the most part I think the domestic issues got in the way of the adventures. I don't want to be distracted by silly love stories and personal dramas. I've got Hollyoaks for that. I want good old adventures in space.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 10:26:25 am »

I'd like to see a female companion from the 20's, with all the period dress and personality. Its a fashion era I'm very keen on so that's my main reason behind this. Anyone from before 1990 will do for me though.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 12:34:55 pm »

Era of the companion aside though, I think it's important that the show stays away from love stories. They never work for me. Rose and Mickey, Rose and the Doctor, Martha and the Doctor, Amy and Rory. It makes the show too 'soapy'. Especially when it involves the Doctor, unrequited or not. I thought having a married couple in the TARDIS would be interesting, and it worked at times, but for the most part I think the domestic issues got in the way of the adventures. I don't want to be distracted by silly love stories and personal dramas. I've got Hollyoaks for that. I want good old adventures in space.

I am with you on this. I don't like love stories. They complicate things and take the focus off the adventures. The best pairing we have had since the show returned is Donna and the Doctor because it was all about the adventure and wasn't bogged down with personal feelings.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 12:55:43 pm »

I don't mind the relationship aspect too much. Amy and Rory for example have a lot of focus on them at the moment, but not because they are in a relationship. Well, I suppose that's the big cause of most of it, especially the baby side of things, but if you just look at their general travels their marriage doesn't get in the way of the stories. If anything it does at times strengthen it. They work as a team and have some great banter with each other. They could just as easily be friends but it doesn't make that huge a difference when you take Moffs big arc out of it. I don't think it is worth worrying over though, I can't see Moff doing it twice in a row.

As for the new companion I think we really need to break from the mould. One thing that can be said about the classics is that they mixed it up. The companions didn't always have a lot to do and were usually there for scream value, but each one was different from the last. Each companion since the show returned has been basically the same with a few difference. Martha was Rose only black. Donna was Rose and Martha only older and not attracted to the Doctor. Amy was Martha Rose and Donna, only from a village and not a city. I know their personalities set them apart and perhaps I was being a bit unfairly general there, but why not give us a male lead companion, or someone from space, or the past, or another country. Just something to mix it up and take it away from 'fiesty' modern day English woman.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 08:02:36 pm »

Rumour has it, and this might be a load of rubbish, that the new companion is being lined up to be revealed at the Cardiff Doctor Who Convention, three weeks from today.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »

It would be cool if this is true. Something to look forward to.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 02:10:42 am »

I'm still bitter I'm not going to that. If they reveal the companion there I will be even more so. I imagine we won't miss out though. If that is when they are due to reveal there will probably be a press release at the same time or something. Moff will want a lot of publicity around this and while the fans attending will get it into the forums and whatnot, they won't get it to the wider audience and if the press take the news from forums and news sites then they won't be giving out whatever specific info Moff would want them to let out, if that makes sense. Actually, the more I think on this the more I think it's more likely he will just do it through a press release. Maybe unleashing 2000 fans on them at a convention before they've even been on screen would be a bit unfair. It would also give people too much opportunity to pre-judge.
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 07:32:40 pm »

He seems more the type to do a big press reveal rather than to a room of fans and I can't imagine there will be much press at the convention. I could be wrong though. Either way I think something of interest will come from the convention, whether it be a companion or a story title or the numbers of episodes etc. I'm sure something will come out.
Report Spam   Logged
Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 07:43:17 pm »

I think they could pull off a male companion... bet they'd have to be very careful about it. Pull him from the sixties, like someone farther up mentioned, and you could get some very fun episodes.

Also, I miss the way they would bring in companions in the old DW. Not just a sudden, "I've lost a companion, I need a new one, oh, hey, they should do," but where the Doctor picked them up along with his current companions, then a couple of episode later the old companions end up leaving. It felt like it had more flow to me.
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 09:15:48 pm »

I think they could pull off a male companion... bet they'd have to be very careful about it. Pull him from the sixties, like someone farther up mentioned, and you could get some very fun episodes.

Also, I miss the way they would bring in companions in the old DW. Not just a sudden, "I've lost a companion, I need a new one, oh, hey, they should do," but where the Doctor picked them up along with his current companions, then a couple of episode later the old companions end up leaving. It felt like it had more flow to me.

60's would be cool. Maybe he could pick them up in 1963 near Foremans junk yard as a nod to the first episode. How about when the companion decides to accept the offer for travelling (I'm assuming the Doctor will invite them and evisaging this taking place at the end of an episode) they have the Doctor and him/her outside the junk yard on Totters lane and in the background they could play the AUC soundtrack of Barbara, Ian and the Doctor on the other side of the wall discussing the 'strange humming', like all along there was another incarnation just the other side of the wall, the Doctor knowingly grins, ushers his new companion into the TARDIS and we see/hear both TARDIS's simultaneously taking off, cut to credits, trailer for next ep, etc etc. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 09:19:08 pm »

That may well be one of the greatest things I have ever heard.

*sweeps hat off in a bow*

Kudos to you.
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 09:34:53 pm »

I might tap Moffat up for a job Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 10:20:54 pm »

60's would be cool. Maybe he could pick them up in 1963 near Foremans junk yard as a nod to the first episode. How about when the companion decides to accept the offer for travelling (I'm assuming the Doctor will invite them and evisaging this taking place at the end of an episode) they have the Doctor and him/her outside the junk yard on Totters lane and in the background they could play the AUC soundtrack of Barbara, Ian and the Doctor on the other side of the wall discussing the 'strange humming', like all along there was another incarnation just the other side of the wall, the Doctor knowingly grins, ushers his new companion into the TARDIS and we see/hear both TARDIS's simultaneously taking off, cut to credits, trailer for next ep, etc etc. Smiley

And that could fit in with the "last place he expected", too  Afro
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: