The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 12:14:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

New Site Banner

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Site Banner  (Read 1084 times)
Jamdog
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Richard E Grant
Favourite Companion: Astrid Peth

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Poll Voter Level 3
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:46:04 am »

I love the new site banner, but it could cause problems for some users...

My maximum screen resolution is 1024x768, which is also a standard screen resolution for many computers more modern than mine.

The new banner is 1253x150 pixels in size, and therefore I have to scroll left and right to see it all. When the page loads, I can see Billie Piper in the header, but not Chris Ecclestone, or anything to the right of him.

This has a knock-on effect of widening the actual forums pages, so that the right-side of each page is cut off.  Although I can use the scroll bars to view the missing portion, this can become tedious on a large page.  Luckily in my case, I'm not missing much (missing just the edge 10-15 pixels on the forums), but some people use lower screen resolutions than I do, which must be a nightmare for them.

As I design websites my self as a hobby, it's something I'm aware of in any site I create, and I try to ensure that any page I make is viewable at 800x600 resolution, and have no banner picture wider than 778 pixels (to take into account the vertical scroll bar).  If I need to use a bigger picture, I don't ever go above 1000 pixels wide, and I add a disclaimer to the page, stating that it is optimised for 1024x768 resolution.

This site states that the 'standard' width of modern web pages is 960 pixels (for 1024x768 resolution screens).  As I said, for me it's not too much of a problem, but for others it might be.  

Sorry if it sounds like I'm nit-picking, I'm really not, and I do love the new look.  I just wouldn't want people to avoid the forum because they have to keep scrolling left and right when using it.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:02:14 am »

The banner is the same size as the previous one, and as with the previous one the settings should be in place that it automatically resizes for your screen, so if that isn't working I will look into it. I checked the design on three seperate monitors since launching it and had no problems. Nobody else has mentioned it though so hopefully it is an isolated issue. The main body of the forum itself though should not be hanging over the side of the page as it is over a third smaller than it was with the previous format. I will look into it and see if maybe I knocked some of the settings
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:12:09 am »

It's fine on my computer. Everythings central and fits ok. I'm currently viewing on my iPhone because I'm in town and it even all fits on that unless I zoom in, which is understandable, but when in regular view it fits fine like on a normal
screen, only teeny weeny
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:18:04 am »

I can see it all - though as it turns out my screen res is higher than Jamdog's. I've always thought my screen was tiny in comparison to others as well as being old by computer standards - there's my one thing I've learned today!
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:21:56 am »

The thing with the banner is, this one and the last two were made to a very specific size in order to fit the box where they are at the top, which I cannot change the size of, so I would assume that it wouldn't fit the screen whether the banner was there or not. I've had a looked through the settings and nothing has changed so I don't understand why this one seems to overhang when the others did not
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:18:37 am »

I don't know anyone who has a screen res that small these days. Mine is set to medium and thats 1366-768 and it fits perfectly. I just switched to the smaller one to see how it would look and its tiny. It also makes the forum tiny, but it still fits on the screen. For me anyways
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 12:23:06 pm »

I have to admit that I too have to scroll around to see all of the banner, but I did on the last one too, David and Matt are chopped off at the side for me, and this is right at the edge of the page! But it doesn't bother me, still looks good!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 12:28:49 pm »

I have to admit that I too have to scroll around to see all of the banner, but I did on the last one too, David and Matt are chopped off at the side for me, and this is right at the edge of the page! But it doesn't bother me, still looks good!  Smiley

It might be to do with your res. As the OP said, his mx is quite low, but you may have yours on a lower setting. Just go to your start menu and type 'screen resolution' and click it and it will tell you yours and if it you can make it bigger. You might find its on a low setting and can be increased.
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 12:29:09 pm »

My setting is the same as Roranicus and looks fine
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 12:33:56 pm »

ooh, er can't find it,  Sad Will get my dad to look when he gets back on Tuesday  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Jamdog
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Richard E Grant
Favourite Companion: Astrid Peth

View Profile
Level 4 Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 05:49:09 pm »

I thought maybe it's my setup or a browser incompatibility, so I just tried some other browsers that I have installed for testing my own web sites, with the following results:

Just in case it's relevant, I use Windows 7 Ultimate and Chrome browser on an AMD Athlon 1.8GHz single-core processor and NVidia GeForce MX440 Graphics card and 768Mb RAM - yes my PC is probably below min-spec for Win 7 which won't even recognise my old graphics card, so I have a hacked (designed for XP I think it was, but made to work on Win 7) 3rd party graphics driver.

Internet Explorer 9
Actually slightly worse by a few pixels, as the browser has added a very small border around the page.  Header image still cuts off at Rose Tyler.

Firefox 4.0.1
Looks exactly the same as in Chrome

Opera 11.11

Safari 5.0.5

Personally, I don't like using IE, and Chrome is my main browser, although I occasionally use Firefox or Opera, but I am getting the same problem in all browsers.  The header image isn't resizing itself on my computer at all.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 05:58:56 pm »

Your spec is all over the place, so there's no wonder your are having trouble. Based on the info you have given I think its your graphics card thats the issue for you. I've just checked on Firefox, Chrome and IE and have no issues on any of them, but my laptop is up to total and intended spec, whereas yours is more of a patchwork. The fact that your max res is so low isn't ideal though either
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: