The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:13:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Movie

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Movie  (Read 576 times)
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:06:19 pm »

I rewatched this yesterday for the first time in a few months and so thought I would find out what people's thoughts were. I have to say, initially I pretty much hated it from start to finish, but the more I watch, the more stuff I find in there to watch and now I really like it. There are a few things that still great on me. Looms and half human Doctor's for example. Also Eric Roberts. But there are so many good things about it too. Paul McGann turns in a brilliant performance (which he then outdoes and improves upon in every audio he does, listen to them) and the biggest shame is that he hasn't had another shot on the screen. Some of the plot elements also, although not always brilliantly realised, could be excellent. This one gets a bad rep for the sake of getting a bad rep I think. Its one of those things that people autimatically assume will be dreadful without really giving it a chance, but really isn't so bad.

Incidently, this is showing in the UK on Watch at 2pm today, so if you have never seen it, give it a shot. Then someone can talk to me about it Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:13:38 pm »

I have it on DVD (it's the only non-New Who DVD I have at the mo) & I actually quite like it. As you've pointed out it has it's flaws but there is still much to enjoy. The chief of which is McGann as the Doctor. I have to agree it's a shame that he hasn't had more screen time & I really do hope this gets rectified at some point if the right way to do it can be found. I'm yet to listen to his audios but my Who loving friend & everyone here raves about them so I will at some point  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 04:48:37 pm »

Its better than some people would have you believe, but its not one of my favourites. They made it a bit too American, which I suppose makes sense considering it was a sort of back dood pilot, but there were too many elements of it that veered too far from show that came before it
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:56:38 pm »

I used the movie for my alevel coursework Smiley

I really like this movie, I mean it has huge flaws and a horrible Americanised feel (no offence) it was made for the wrong audience...

But I do enjoy watching it, I love Paul, he ranks very high for me (6th out of the 11 Docs) and his character transfers so well to novels, also love his audios Grin

Favourite scene is the regeneration with interlinking graphic matches/scenes with Frankenstein Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 05:46:15 pm »

I would love to see McGann on screen again, he totally got a raw deal.

BR was telling me recently that apparently there's a fan edit of this out there, similar to the pretty awesom "Phantom Edits" of Episode I & II of Star Wars - takes out THE KISS, the half human garbage, and presumably about 95% of TV's Eric Roberts.

My biggest annoyance when first watching this back in the day was the horribly violent end that Syl received. It was so completely un-Doctor Who that I was appalled.

I will admit that I liked the TARDIS set more than I expected to, and the opening theme by John Debney is a guilty pleasure.
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 05:51:56 pm »

Oh, I forgot the kiss and halfhuman nonsense existed... must be selective memory Evil
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 06:14:28 pm »

I'd agree that McGann was awesome - I just wish he'd had a better story to shine in.  I didn't mind The Kiss all that much, but I thought Eric Roberts' Master was awful (not necessarily in an absolute sense, but that wasn't the Master), the half-human stuff didn't make sense, the "Who am I" scene was absurdly OTT, and the whole thing was skewed to an American viewpoint (some of my favourite shows are American, but it just doesn't suit DW).  The thing that really summed it up for me was the cop's gun.  The Doctor's aversion to weapons is heroic idealism, not an eccentric joke.

Still, there's enough good in it that I've rewatched it a number of times, but it's one of my less favourites.
Report Spam   Logged

Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 05:20:52 am »

A really disliked this the first time I saw it, being too modern to judge by old standards but to old to consider good. But the more I watch the more I appreciate it, even if the absolute American cliche-ness of it pokes me everytime. Most strongly, "WHO. AM. I?!"

But the Doctor and Grace were brilliant, the TARDIS design superb, and ending sweet.
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 01:40:24 pm »

I still find this story extrememly frustrating. Even if you watch it as a stand alone story and try to ignore everything that comes bedore and after, it's still not a strong story. It has it's moments where you can see what they are trying to do and it becomes more frustrating because it doesn't reach the potential it has. When you take the rest of the show and the canon of it into consideration it becomes even more frustrating. The glue of it, and the one good thing to bring from it all, is that McGann is an absolute legend in the role (and even better when you get to the audios). It would have been great to see him get more televised stories, but based on this I think we got off lucky that they didn't take it to series.
Report Spam   Logged

Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 09:04:52 pm »

The lost potential is disappointing, but I think I can live with it. As for the canon issues, I can totally handle that. Even the comic The Forgotten writes off the half-human comment and the "goosnake!"Master is explained in another novel. The Master regenerates into a different species. Which also agrees with the Doctor's comment that TLs can do that. Plus it would explain blueRomana (though there's another easier one). I think the alternate-species regeneration probably has extenuating circumstances attached.

Did you ever hear about the original script for the movie? The canon in that was even more blasphemous than it is now.
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 05:49:44 pm »

I've always found it slightly frustrating (not something I lose sleep over, but frustrating) that the Movie doesn't have a title.  Other people may have done this, but I thought might be fun to suggest what we'd call the story, if we had the power.  Perhaps we could even have a poll, if we get enough.

My suggestion would be Millennium Bug.  Besides the fact that it's about a far bigger "millennium bug" than anyone anticipated, the "bug" could also refer to wossisname being "infected" by the Master's snake-thing.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 06:12:10 pm »

I think that the original title was Doctor Who Returns but 'Returns' was dropped because they wanted to launch a series off the back of it and it sounded more like a continuation than the Americans wanted. That's on the DVD extras, I'm sure. A proposed title was The Enemy Within but that never took off. I like it though. In France it's called The Timelord.

I like Millennium Bug and The Enemy Within.
Report Spam   Logged

Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 03:27:37 am »

Millennium Bug sounds pretty cool, it has just the right amount of clever to sound like a Who title Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: