The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 10:15:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Nods To The Past

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nods To The Past  (Read 234 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 12:33:59 am »

After the real enjoyment of the episode I shall pop my Victor Meldrew Crown on at a jaunty angle and just say....

"Would it have killed them to use Billy Hartnell and Jon Pertwee's voices as well?"
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 12:55:36 am »

In all honesty, I think they shouldn't have played the voice clips, I thought it was rather cheap and not played clearly enough

I like the idea, I just think it could have been played better....
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 12:59:14 am »

What do you mean by played better?
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 01:03:04 am »

Well, I thought that it was slightly under emphasised and they've gone to the hassle of digging out old clips for people to blink for half a second and go, "that sounded dodgy, wonder why"
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 01:10:53 am »

Well, I thought that it was slightly under emphasised and they've gone to the hassle of digging out old clips for people to blink for half a second and go, "that sounded dodgy, wonder why"

Oh right, I get you Smiley

I think it was noticeable enough that it was a nice touch for fans of the classics, but subtle enough that if people aren't familiar with them they would just assume it was some sort of Ganger trauma or something. I agree with you though that it was underemphasized. I have seen plenty of people online already mention that they didnt even notice it was related to the classics, just thought it sounded odd. It could of perhaps been a bit more clear
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 01:58:03 pm »

I only heard Four actually speak. I heard lines from the others but assumed it was Matt who said them
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 02:02:35 pm »

Ok I finally got it, I only heard 4 though! It just sounded like Matt imitating 10 though!  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 03:32:15 pm »

I only heard Four, but I didnt know it was him until I came on here. I thought it was just a random voice. Never seen a Four story
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 08:06:29 pm »

I loved this little nod, and it was nicely covered in Confidential.

I agree with Chris (I'm not after your crown, I swear!!) - why not use the actual voices of 1 & 3 instead of just Matt?

As others have mentioned a few times, DT and MS sound a bit similar so the use of his "Hello, I'm The Doctor" was a tad wasted.

And as Moff said on DWC, (roughly) "it's all about hearing Tom Baker, as The Doctor, back on BBC1".

More of this please, much more!
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 01:00:36 am »

Incidentally, Moff's comment on DWC that Pertwee only used his catchphrase once was technically wrong.  It became a catchphrase on the basis of one use, but he used it again in The Five Doctors.

And, of course, he did say just "reverse the polarity" a lot more.
Report Spam   Logged

Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 01:07:00 am »

I think the thing about using Hartnell's voice, and to a lesser extent Pertwee's, is that the sound quality from those stories would have stood out. In my mind, at least. I mean, I know the production team is more than capable lf reducing background buzzing and such, I don't think putting so much effort into a basically throw-away line would have been worth the money. Just my two cents.

What I liked best was just after Tennant's voice said "Hello, I'm the Doctor", Smith said sternly in his own voice "No, we've moved on!". Being more than tired of hearing people still complaining about Tennant retiring and demonising Matt Smith for replacing him, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing that.
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 01:12:11 am »

I think the thing about using Hartnell's voice, and to a lesser extent Pertwee's, is that the sound quality from those stories would have stood out. In my mind, at least. I mean, I know the production team is more than capable lf reducing background buzzing and such, I don't think putting so much effort into a basically throw-away line would have been worth the money. Just my two cents.

What I liked best was just after Tennant's voice said "Hello, I'm the Doctor", Smith said sternly in his own voice "No, we've moved on!". Being more than tired of hearing people still complaining about Tennant retiring and demonising Matt Smith for replacing him, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing that.

Have you listened to the audios for those Doctor's? Most of them are of excellent quality. They would have easily been able to find something to use, I'm sure of it.

Totally agree about the Tennant comment though. If that wasn't a little dig then I don't know what is Grin
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 01:27:52 am »

Have you listened to the audios for those Doctor's? Most of them are of excellent quality. They would have easily been able to find something to use, I'm sure of it.

The audio clips I've heard have been brutal, to be honest. But I'll admit to only have heard them recently online; I haven't seen a First Doctor story in almost a decade now...

Totally agree about the Tennant comment though. If that wasn't a little dig then I don't know what is Grin

Not only a little dig, but a well deserved little dig. As much as I love the Tenth Doctor, Butthurt Tennant fans have been getting obnoxious since Easter 2009.
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 01:35:57 am »

The audio clips I've heard have been brutal, to be honest. But I'll admit to only have heard them recently online; I haven't seen a First Doctor story in almost a decade now...

Not only a little dig, but a well deserved little dig. As much as I love the Tenth Doctor, Butthurt Tennant fans have been getting obnoxious since Easter 2009.

You should indulge. The quality of the DVDs and Audios are brilliant these days. The restoration team have done wonders. Some of the extras even show before and after stuff so you can see how cleaned up and polished the visual and audio is now.

As for tennant fans, probably best in another thread, but I agree. Some of them make it seem cultish
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 01:39:22 am »

I'll have to pick up a few of the First Doctor stories on DVD if I can find them, then, for sure. Thanks for the update. Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: