The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 07:17:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

How Long Has It Been?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Long Has It Been?  (Read 205 times)
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 02:53:56 am »

Again, that's probably something that we will only ever be able to speculate about because I don't think they will address it in the series. If I was pushed to answer, I would say no. But on the flipside I guess there isnt really a reason why they shouldnt be able to, unless they were fully cloned without reproductive systems, which I doubt they were
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 03:49:31 am »

I suppose that could just be explained away by the fact that they could have been travelling for any amount of time between stories, which would be the easiest way for the writing team to get around the 9 months thing.

Agreed. We don't know how long it was between episodes 2 and 3, 3 and 4, or 4 and 5. Between the three we could quite easily make up a total of nine months - or even more if the switch happened later than between TIA and DOTM.

Novelists and Big Finish writers have created whole worlds, new companions and years of adventures between classic series stories. Is a gap of nine months at some point in the modern show really so hard to imagine?
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 05:36:01 am »

It's also possible that the pregnancy is accelerated. She could very well only have been pregnant for a few months, but is at full term anyway. I think considering this pregnancy to be of typical length, when absolutely everything else about it has been insane so far, is a tad conceited of us.
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 11:38:18 am »

It's also possible that the pregnancy is accelerated. She could very well only have been pregnant for a few months, but is at full term anyway. I think considering this pregnancy to be of typical length, when absolutely everything else about it has been insane so far, is a tad conceited of us.

It does say on the cover of this months DWM in the UK that she is nine months pregnant, which is where everyone probably got their ideas, so while your theory is completely right, I think she actually has gone to full term
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 12:07:35 pm »

This is my only small concern about the whole business. I am just a little wary of a timey-wimey solution. I think a little bit of timey wimey is inevitable and possibly even desirable. I just really don't want a Deus ex Machina on this one. Moff has set this up brilliantly, I really really hope the pay off is up to the build up!
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 01:24:50 pm »

I like the point that if she was 'cloned' then wouldn't the clone be pregnant as well? My only potential solution to that was if (and apologies if this is too much biology or just icky) the embryo hadn't actually implanted yet when the ganger was made.  When you count pregnancy weeks the first 2 weeks you aren't actually pregnant yet.  Conception is around week 3 and implantation happens around week 4.

So based on that, it IS possible that the ganger was made BEFORE she was technically pregnant but then the real Amy could go on to be pregnant.  You would have about a 1 week time frame but it's possible.  But that means that there had to be a solid 9 months from when she was copied.  But as said above, it's not hard to come up with that time since we don't really know how much time has passed between episodes.

May be stretching it a bit and/or trying to hard for an explanation but it works....sort of Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 01:27:04 pm »

ooh that's good Chrissy!  Smiley It works!  Smiley (well in my head anyway!) Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 02:06:01 pm »

Of course it could also be that she was impregnated after being taken in which case who knows what she is carrying Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 02:14:27 pm »

Maybe the clone just couldnt get pregnant. Perhaps that was the point of having one of the workers get a cold, to show that his Ganger didnt also pick it up. We know Cleaves Ganger suffered headaches, but we don't know that she actually had the clot, same as Ganger Amy having the contraction pain but not the actual pregnancy?

Probably wrong but just a thought
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 02:16:07 pm »

Maybe the clone just couldnt get pregnant. Perhaps that was the point of having one of the workers get a cold, to show that his Ganger didnt also pick it up. We know Cleaves Ganger suffered headaches, but we don't know that she actually had the clot, same as Ganger Amy having the contraction pain but not the actual pregnancy?

That's an excellent thought.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 02:22:47 pm »

Oh good, thanks Smiley

I thought people would think it was silly
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 03:24:01 pm »

I think that this is probably the best idea. Trying to explain away all the seperate plot strands would take way too long, but this is simple and easy to understand without seeming like a copout
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: