The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 08:41:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Introducing The Infinite Quest

Poll
Question: Don't vote until you have read the post below!!
Start with An Unearthly Child and work onwards - 6 (30%)
Choose the stories at random to cover a wider selection - 14 (70%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Introducing The Infinite Quest  (Read 2326 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: May 31, 2011, 12:54:28 pm »

The Infinite Quest will be opening soon as an extension of the Classic Section on the forum. The idea for this section was first brought to us by one of the forum members and the moderators liked the idea so much we decided to go with it.

The idea behind The Infinite Quest is to create an area where new fans can be introduced to the classic stories as well as expanding on the current classic section for existing fans of the classics where each story can be discussed in a little more depth, in a similar setup to the current series 6 section.

The way the section will be run will be in a similar fashion to the watchathons that you may have seen taking place throughout the forum, but the main difference will be that this will work more like a book club, so instead of needing to be here to discuss a story at a certain date or a certain time, a new story will be introduced to the section every two weeks, gradually building it up over time like one of those collectors magazines you see in shops Smiley

What we aim to do is get everyone to watch the selected story within the two weeks then come to the forum at their own leisure to discuss it. Each story will be given its own section with similar threads to what you will have seen in the series six section, so you will be able to rate each story, discuss mistakes or inconsistencies etc and then hopefully you as members will create all the further threads to discuss any areas that you wish, be it the companions or plot points or whatever takes your fancy.

This is a huge undertaking for the forum with over 200 stories to get through and we are really hoping that it will take off and that fans old and new alike will join in and take part. We realise that some of the newer fans may not have the DVD's of the stories that are being watched, so where possible we will be putting links to places online where you are able to watch the stories in question. Many sites now offer this free and legally such as MSN, so we will direct you to the best places to view them in each section, or if possible, post the videos onto the actual forum. Obviously watching the story is not a requirement, especially if you have seen it 100 times already, but it is all part of the fun and a great excuse to rewatch some Classic Who.

We are hoping to launch the section this coming Sunday, so the first story will run from then and a new story will be introduced every second Sunday. We really want this to take off and get as many of you involved as possible, so please take part and join in. What we want you to do first though is place your vote in the poll above and tell us how you would like the series to be covered. We have two options and whichever is in the lead by 12pm on Saturday afternoon will be the winner. We can either go in chronological order starting with An Unearthly Child and working through to present day, or we can randomise the order for more variety so that different stories from different Doctors and eras are chosen each fortnight. So vote for which you prefer and the choice will be made on Saturday. If you have any questions or queries, feel free to post them below
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:08:31 pm »

You know what, I'm game. It's about time I watched more anyway. I've seen a total of 5 classic stories and I loved them all but I keep forgetting to go back and watch more so I think this is a great idea.

I voted for a random order by the way
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:21:44 pm »

Ooh this sounds good!  Cheesy About time I watched more of these old ones and with others around to explain some of the stuff which I don't understand this is such a good idea!  Grin Voting for a random order, that way I can explore more of the old Doctors!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:23:31 pm »

Ooh this sounds good!  Cheesy About time I watched more of these old ones and with others around to explain some of the stuff which I don't understand this is such a good idea!  Grin Voting for a random order, that way I can explore more of the old Doctors!  Smiley

Yay!! So glad you're doing it too! Now I won't be the only newb Tongue Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:59:51 pm »

This is an awesome idea! I've been meani,g to watch some of the classics for some time, and now I have a reason to. And there's a great shop near me where I can get the episode on DVD. Failing that I can use the links and hope I can download and play them on my phone

I voted random, btw
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:00:23 pm »

I'll be joining in. I need to catch up on loads of stories. I seem to have gone against the masses though because I voted to watch in order Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:05:51 pm »

Having only watched a handful of classics myself I think this is a great idea & a great way of doing it. I've voted random  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord

Rory FTW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 03:00:43 pm »

Looks like I'm going to be outvoted Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 03:18:27 pm »

I will attempt to do this as well since I need to watch more classics.  I didn't vote though since I am fine with either option (lame, I know!)
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord

Rory FTW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 03:22:24 pm »

Then you should vote to start with An Unearthly Child so that I don't look like such a loner Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 03:23:42 pm »

Then you should vote to start with An Unearthly Child so that I don't look like such a loner Tongue

Ok.  Voted to start with An Unearthly Child to show solidarity with Roranicus Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord

Rory FTW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 03:31:38 pm »

Haha That's the ticket Tongue Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 03:37:15 pm »

I'm definately not going to be the only newb now Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged

Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 04:28:33 pm »

Speaking as a longtime fan of the Classic series, I have a suggestion to make. The vast majority of the First Doctor's stories are either incomplete or missing altogether, as well as a large portion of the Second Doctor's. While some of the early Third Doctor stories exist only in black and white, they are all at least entirely intact.

Instead of starting with Unearthly Child, I suggest starting a few years later, with Spearhead From Space. Include a summary of the first six years of the show, particularly the Second Doctor's last story; but I think avoiding the incomplete stories would make it less frustrating for some of the NuWho fans to get into it.
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 04:50:58 pm »

Speaking as a longtime fan of the Classic series, I have a suggestion to make. The vast majority of the First Doctor's stories are either incomplete or missing altogether, as well as a large portion of the Second Doctor's. While some of the early Third Doctor stories exist only in black and white, they are all at least entirely intact.

Instead of starting with Unearthly Child, I suggest starting a few years later, with Spearhead From Space. Include a summary of the first six years of the show, particularly the Second Doctor's last story; but I think avoiding the incomplete stories would make it less frustrating for some of the NuWho fans to get into it.

This makes sense. I for one would get extremely wound up if I don't get to see the end of an episode, 'cause I'd be forever wondering what happened.

So yeah, starting later and avoiding the incomplete episodes is a great plan
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 04:51:41 pm »

Actually, the majority of the First Doctor stories are still intact and have been released. The Second Doctor was the one which was most badly hit and has the most missing serials. This is something that we have discussed behind the scenes and what options are available to us with the missing stories as none of them are completely gone. There are some brilliant fan made recons and also audios for all the stories are also available.

However, for the time being we will only be looking at stories that are available in their entirety to watch and then later if people wish we will move on to the lost stories in whichever form is the most suitable. There are currently over 20 serials readily available from the first two Doctors so it wouldn't make much sense to skip them completely and move onto the Third Doctor Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 05:01:52 pm »

This makes sense. I for one would get extremely wound up if I don't get to see the end of an episode, 'cause I'd be forever wondering what happened.

So yeah, starting later and avoiding the incomplete episodes is a great plan

As I explained above all the stories are available in some form or another, but for the time being we will only be going through the complete serials. All stories will be covered eventually though whether they are still in existence or not as it's not a case of picking and choosing, its about introducing new people to the classics and giving current classic fans more to talk about and discuss. If the poll continues to lead with random story choices then it won't make much difference if a story is lost anyways, but I can assure you that you won't watch a serial from the classic series and then miss the end of an episode.
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 05:23:57 pm »

I must admit, I've gone with random too.

I like the idea of introducing folk new to the classics to as much variety as possible, and I'm also thinking it's a good way to jump about given the long tenure Tom Baker had.

Totally get what the guys were saying above about missing stories, but think Doc covered that spot on.

I'm really excited about this!!
Report Spam   Logged

Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 05:43:59 pm »

The Doc definitely covered it! Nice going, Doc Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 06:18:38 pm »

I'm always happy for an excuse to rewatch classic Who Cool  I voted for starting from the beginning, but it's not a huge deal.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: