The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 02:31:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Making Time Lords

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Time Lords  (Read 227 times)
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« on: June 04, 2011, 08:52:10 pm »

Am I the only one who thought the explanation for how the Baby became a Time Lord was a bit lame? If its that easy to reignite a race surely the Doctor could just get a load of people onboard for a bonk and start things from scratch.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:00:41 pm »

As soon as it was brought into question in the episode it seemed like the conversation turned all fast paced and jumpy as though to confuse us or something, but I aint buying it. If that was possible the Doctor surely would have known about it and it can't be that easy to create a Time Lord. I think this will end up being an incorrect theory and another reason will be given.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:37:03 pm »

While I doubt the Doctor will be instigating orgies in the TARDIS, the possibilities that this could open up could potentially be pretty exciting. At the moment though I am not keen on the whole idea and I am hoping it will be explained further when the show returns
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:38:55 pm »

Well, the Doctor's immediate reaction was that it's impossible, so I suspect there's going to be a bit more to it.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:49:21 pm »

Well, the Doctor's immediate reaction was that it's impossible, so I suspect there's going to be a bit more to it.

I agree. There has to be more to it. This just seemed a bit of a silly explanation
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:20:28 pm »

I really hope that this turns out to be an incorrect theory. I'm all for River being a Time Lady but I really don't like the way it was explained away
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 03:00:35 pm »

The explanation is kind of weak, but I personally don't think we'll be getting a better one.

What kind of explanation would satisfy you?
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 07:38:26 pm »

Am I the only one who thought the explanation for how the Baby became a Time Lord was a bit lame? If its that easy to reignite a race surely the Doctor could just get a load of people onboard for a bonk and start things from scratch. 

LOL  True, but I'd think he'd want to choose the parents of future Time Lords very carefully. 

I thought it was kind of lame too; maybe the TARDIS herself had something to do with it?
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 11:19:20 pm »

OK, having rewatched, this is the actual exchanged about it between the Doctor and Vashtra (I think it's accurate):

"You can't just cook yourself a Time Lord."
"No, but you gave them one hell of a start, and they've been working really hard ever since."

That makes it quite clear that being conceived in the TARDIS isn't enough, and Madame Kovarian has been genetically altering Melody through the pregnancy.  Someone in another thread suggested she could be the Rani, which would actually explain a lot - it would mean she'd have had her own  Time Lord DNA to splice into Melody.  I doubt if that'll be the explanation, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Jamdog
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Richard E Grant
Favourite Companion: Astrid Peth

View Profile
Level 4 Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 08:59:10 am »

Someone in another thread suggested she could be the Rani, which would actually explain a lot

I like this theory, but mostly cuz I'm a bit of a Rani fan, and think she should come back.

If you look at each time the Doctor encountered another Timelord/Timelady though, the general pattern is that he recognises them immediately as being Gallifreyan, possibly even who they are, simply by looking at them even if he's never seen their current face.  This seems especially true for members of The Deca (the group of 10 friends from the Prydon Academy on Gallifrey), which included The Doctor, The Master, The Rani, The Celestial Toymaker, The War Chief and The Monk.

The 2nd Doctor's encounter with the War Chief in War Games is a perfect example, they both recognised each other immediately and the Doctor ran.

The Doctor didn't recognise Professor Yana as The Master because he was using the Chameleon Arch, and The Doctor knew for a fact that he was the only Timelord in the universe, so wasn't expecting it.

If Madame Kovarian was the Rani, wouldn't the Doctor have worked it out by now?
Report Spam   Logged

davecabs
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Sarah-Jane Smith

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 09:57:14 am »

I agree it was a very poor theory and hopefully it is not true - in the same vein that hopefully River Song is not the baby.  There's been no indication in the past that exposure to the time vortex has any effect on an individual, until the new series and Rose ingesting the time vortex (another very silly idea).  There's just no logical reason that I can see why someone conceived in the tardis should automatically become a time lord - so we will see if SM has a few tricks up his sleeve. 
Report Spam   Logged
Jamdog
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Richard E Grant
Favourite Companion: Astrid Peth

View Profile
Level 4 Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 10:15:50 am »

Actually, I have just worked out the Madame Kovarian is an anagram of Rani Make Mad Ova - this could be a clue that it is the Rani, experimenting on human eggs!

Of course, it's also an anagram of Rani me a Vodka, Ma! which has very little meaing in the context of AGMGTW...
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 04:12:47 pm »

Actually, I have just worked out the Madame Kovarian is an anagram of Rani Make Mad Ova - this could be a clue that it is the Rani, experimenting on human eggs!

Of course, it's also an anagram of Rani me a Vodka, Ma! which has very little meaing in the context of AGMGTW...

Cool

Yes, the Time Lord recognition thing is the main argument against the Rani.  Another example is Runcible recognising the Doctor in The Deadly Assassin.  In Planet of the Spiders, Kanp'o clearly has the power to keep himself incognito, yet even so the Doctor keeps thinking he recognises him.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: