The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 07:23:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Jamie II

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jamie II  (Read 312 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: June 05, 2011, 03:35:31 pm »

Probably the only part of the whole story I didn't quite understand. It fit in well enough I suppose but why? What was the point in changing his face when the original Jamie could have done everything that Jamie II did. I thought at first that perhaps the part had been recast or something because some shows do that and this would have been a great way of getting away with that, but then original Jamie came back so it all just seemed a bit pointless
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 04:33:10 pm »

I think I've read somewhere that Frazer Hines was ill during filming so they wrote this in to cover his absence - feel free to contradict me if I'm wrong about that though.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 04:35:42 pm »

Well the real-life explanation is that Frazer Hines was ill and there wasn't time to rewrite the whole episode without him, but I thought the face-changing scene worked well enough plot-wise. Lucky really that this is one of the very few stories where something like that wouldn't feel out of place!

(although they never quite explained why Jamie's accent suddenly changed from Highlands to Glaswegian while he had a different face  Grin)
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Theta Sigma
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Seventh
Favourite Companion: Tegan

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:09:02 am »

Yeah, poor Frazer got chickenpox, and had to miss the entire week of filming (back then one episode was recorded a week). I think there was minute talk of keeping the replacements, but all was averted. In an interview on the DVD, Wendy Padbury (Zoe), says she preferred the replacement!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"There's something new in you, yet something older than the sky itself. I sense that I can trust you."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:06:29 pm »

I don't think Jamie's normal accent can seriously be described as Highland Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:09:16 pm »

He seemed to pick up various regions throughout what I've seen of him. A bit like how Peri was from a different state in every story Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 06:14:32 pm »

I believe he started with a proper Scottish accent in The Highlanders, when he was supposed to be a one-off character, but it was felt a Highland accent wasn't "Scottish" enough for a regular  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

Theta Sigma
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Seventh
Favourite Companion: Tegan

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 06:28:01 pm »

I believe he started with a proper Scottish accent in The Highlanders, when he was supposed to be a one-off character, but it was felt a Highland accent wasn't "Scottish" enough for a regular  Huh?

Maybe they had to tone it down like Dodo's cockney? And you're right, from what I can tell from the CD of The Highlanders he has a pretty good accent. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"There's something new in you, yet something older than the sky itself. I sense that I can trust you."
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 03:40:18 pm »

What a stroke of luck it was, as Dame Roger says, that it was during this story that he came down ill because recasting the role as to cover for him worked brilliantly and made total sense within the narrative. I liked Jamie II and it's a shame he was never seen again, though I doubt they could have convincingly found a way to bring him back
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 11:30:58 am »

I thought it worked really well - lots of shows bring someone in to cover an absence & hope that no-one will notice (newflash TV people, we're not idiots!) but the way they did it here was pretty much genius esp considering it was done on short notice. And the fact that they didn't ignore it but played up to it made it all the better. It really was the right story to carry it off though which helps I guess  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 12:09:49 pm »

I agree that the substitution worked well with this story.  The writers came up with a great way to explain the switch and I thought it really added to the story of the dangers that they were in while in this strange place and how easily you could be messed with.
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 06:53:22 pm »

Yea it wouldnt have worked very well in another story, but the timing of it for this one is great and it really suited the story
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: