The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 12:00:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Predicting the future

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Predicting the future  (Read 147 times)
Jamdog
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Richard E Grant
Favourite Companion: Astrid Peth

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Poll Voter Level 3
« on: June 06, 2011, 01:17:21 am »

I thought I'd throw my thoughts and ideas regarding the second half of the series into a post for y'all to ponder on.  I expect that many of these ideas will be wrong, but posting into the MTTU forum, as if my guesses turn out to be right, they could be classed as spoilers.

First, in the very first episode of the series, the Doctor was killed...
[spoiler]
With all the 'ganger' action in the first half of the season, could the 'dead' Doctor be a Ganger?
Pros
  • The Doctor isn't really dead, and there will be another series!
  • The Doctor told his Ganger that he would retain some part of the Doctor when he 'died', why would that line be there in the script unless Moffat wanted to bring him back?
Cons
  • The Doctor began to regenerate, can Timelord Gangers do that?
  • When he died, the Doctor didn't revert to gloopy flesh.  The Doctor has stated that TARDIS travel 'fixes' gangers, so this could be the reason, although Amy's ganger had travelled a lot in the TARDIS and could still be liquidised by a sonic burst.
[/spoiler]

We now know that River Song is Melody Pond, and has Timelord DNA from exposure to the TARDIS when conceived...
[spoiler]
Assuming that River is human, this means humans can become Timelords.  Maybe River's son could become Rassilon, and therefore, Amy is the mother of the Timelord race.
Another option is that somehow River's DNA has some Timelord in it, and that either Rory or Amy are descendants of a Timelord (ignoring Pythia's Curse for a moment), and that this is another manipulation of the Doctor by the Gallifreyans.
[/spoiler]

River Song can regenerate, even though regenerations are controlled by the Loom and the Matrix on Gallifrey.  These rules, however, no longer seem to apply, as the Master ran out of regenerations a while ago (the Daleks apparently took his last one in the Doctor Who movie, but he's regenerated since), and The Doctor has regenerated several times since Gallifrey was time locked.  Does this now mean that there is no limit to the Doctor's (or River's) regenerations?

Anyone have any thoughts on these points, or have other 'predictions' they would like to share?
Report Spam   Logged

Amuro
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: 11th
Favourite Companion: Romana

Space Gandalf

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:40:25 am »

My prediction concerns the question of why the cleric army is fighting against the Doctor, and why they wanted a time child 'weapon'.

The Silence get other people to do their work for them. Are they controlling the Clerics? Do they want a weapon to get back at the Doctor for their defeat?
Report Spam   Logged

"After a while, everything is just stuff! That's the problem, you make the whole of space and time your backyard, and what do you have? A backyard. But you, you can see it. And when you see it, I see it."
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:31:49 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Matrix and the Loom control the number of regenerations, not the regenerations themselves (or else the series would have died with 9)
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:02:20 pm »

The Master's "regenerations" from The Keeper of Traken on weren't actual regenerations, but his own patent way of taking over bodies.  He was then resurrected by the Time Lords for the War, so his regeneration from Yana to Saxon would count as his first.  It does seem, though, that the regenerationation process is natural in Gallifreyans, though it seems to be easier in a TARDIS.

On the second "con", Ganger Amy hadn't stabilised because it was still reliant on real Amy in the harness.  The surviving gangers from the island weren't, and nor was Ganger Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: