The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:21:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Series 5 Unofficially Confirmed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series 5 Unofficially Confirmed  (Read 1152 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:58:28 pm »

Variety have reported that $8m of tax refunds will be given to Bad Wolf productions to go towards making a second series of Torchwood in California. It is part of an incentive scheme to keep production companies from moving their projects, jobs and spending out of the state to places that would normally be cheaper to produce, like Canada. Or Wales.

They have 100 million dollars available for productions, so a lottery is used to decide who gets what. I know nothing official has been confirmed but I am sure that the fact that Torchwood is being given the highest amount of any show means they wouldn't hand it over unless they were sure that another series was on the way.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 03:39:14 pm »

That means they won't be coming back to Wales though. I sort of expected it, but still hoped it would return. I know I will probably feel different once it has all aired, but even now I still feel a little aprehensive about the move to the US. Lets hope though that if it does return and it is in America, they will at least come back to Wales for some filming like they did this year
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:49:45 pm »

$8m is a great boost and will probably go a long way to paying for the episodes. I don't know how much it costs to make them in the US but I think it was around £800,000 per episode in the UK. I'd imagine 8 million is probably around half the total production cost so its a brilliant incentive for S5 to go ahead.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:19:23 pm »

Well its great news, but I won't get too excited until I've seen Series 4.
Report Spam   Logged

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 03:08:03 pm »

Starz said they potentially wanted to do 8 or 9 seasons when this was all first announced.

Do you think Gwens baby will be old enough to wheel around the Face of Boe by then? Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 11:06:58 am »

The ratings seem to be holding up so far so as long as they can sustain that I don't see any reason why it shouldn't go ahead. I think RTD will leave though
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 09:13:31 am »

I saw a RT from someone on twitter about this, can't verify it or anything so pinch of salt time, but...

The CEO at Starz, Chris Albrecht, has said that despite any form of success of Torchwood: Miracle Day, the show may not actually be certain to return next year, regardless of immense popularity. He emphasised – at the TV critics tour event - that much of Torchwood’s future i dependant on writer and showrunner Russell T Davies and whether he can come up with a story for the show that Starz deem good enough.

He said: “Torchwood is not one of the show we went into thinking about a yearly return. It’s about Russell T Davies … he has a lot of things on his plate. If Torchwood is at the top of his list, that will effect the future of Torchwood.”

If you take out the financial aspect & all that gubbins, as purely a fan I doubt I'd renew it on the strength of MD so far, but that's just me.
I want Jack to start being Jack again.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:05:32 pm »

After COE I couldnt wait for the return, but now I think I am at peace with the thought of it going. MD has been great, but it just hasn't totally felt right to me, and it definately doesn't feel like TW at the moment. Though I think the reason for that may be this:

Seasons one and two were episodic. You tuned in to a story, saw a beginning, middle and end then went away until it was on again. Series three was one big story, but it was on every single day, so by the time you started it was all over and the story was done. With this series, it's one long story but we have to wait for what seems like forever to get a new chunk of it and so far nothing has really even happened. Every time I watch I am so engrossed and keep thinking how great it is, but as soon as it's over I get that 'meh' feeling like I just can't be arsed with it again.

So I think for me its perhaps scheduling, and I look forward to when it's done and doing a marathon and seeing how it sits with me then, but for now I think if they say that's it then I will be ok with that
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 06:33:38 pm »

After COE I couldnt wait for the return, but now I think I am at peace with the thought of it going. MD has been great, but it just hasn't totally felt right to me, and it definately doesn't feel like TW at the moment. Though I think the reason for that may be this:

Seasons one and two were episodic. You tuned in to a story, saw a beginning, middle and end then went away until it was on again. Series three was one big story, but it was on every single day, so by the time you started it was all over and the story was done. With this series, it's one long story but we have to wait for what seems like forever to get a new chunk of it and so far nothing has really even happened. Every time I watch I am so engrossed and keep thinking how great it is, but as soon as it's over I get that 'meh' feeling like I just can't be arsed with it again.

So I think for me its perhaps scheduling, and I look forward to when it's done and doing a marathon and seeing how it sits with me then, but for now I think if they say that's it then I will be ok with that

I think this is absolutely spot on.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 04:56:24 pm »

Yup, very well said, Exterminate.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 01:16:32 am »

A few sites are claiming this was shown at the end of Miracle Day in Australia. I don't buy it, but it is apparantly genuine.

January seems way too early unless it is some sort of one off special or something and it sort of looks fake. Thought it worth mentioning anyway though
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 01:10:28 pm »

Yep it's genuine. Though the interesting thing is that it says Jack rather than Torchwood.

It's way too early to have a new series, so if it is Torchwood then I would say it would have to be a special. The other possible answer is that it is Doctor Who related. The Christmas Special is always shown later in Australia, so it could perhaps be a hint that he will be in the Christmas Special, though I don't know why Australian broadcasters would have that information before anyone else. The other possibility is that they just have the wrong date and it should have said something else instead.

I have no idea what it might be, but it is genuine.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 06:38:03 pm »

As long as it isn't more Miracle Day!
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 01:44:48 pm »

Interview with Eve Myles.

"As far as I know at the moment, everything’s still very much on hold. Russell [T Davies] has things happening in his personal life.

"John [Barrowman] is very much on the same page as me, in that if and when they need us, they can just pick the phone up and we will be there before they’ve even put the phone down, because it’s something we love doing.

"Nothing’s going to happen in 2012, I know that much for sure. But who knows what will happen in 2013. Maybe a movie, to kinda draw a line under it.

"That’s the thing about Torchwood, every series we’ve changed our format. We’ve always had a gap in between, so fingers crossed, because we’ve got such an outstanding loyal fan base. They deserve Torchwood to go ahead with something else to draw a line under it, for the fans to have a bit of closure.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 11:08:48 pm »

I don't think any of that is a surprise really. She keeps on about wrapping it up though, so maybe even she thinks its time to call it a day. I'd be happy with another Miracle Day esque story to bring it to a close to be honest. With that in mind though if we got that and it was just as good, I'd want more again. It's an odd one. Perhaps a movie is the way to go. If its a dud it will at least wrap everything up, and if not then there could always be a sequel.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 09:44:34 pm »

I don't see the show coming back, to be honest. It's a shame, and it would be nice to have a story that ties everything together and wraps it all up, but I don't see it happening. Starz didn't seem overly impressed with the results and the BBC seemed less than interested before it even went into production, so I think it's come to an end now.
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 06:42:56 pm »

I'd be very surprised if we got any more new episodes now. Its a shame that it went out on a bit of a whimper, but there just seems so little interest from everyone who makes it that I can't imagine they will make more.
Report Spam   Logged
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 11:16:35 am »

I'd be very surprised if we got any more new episodes now. Its a shame that it went out on a bit of a whimper, but there just seems so little interest from everyone who makes it that I can't imagine they will make more.

These are my thoughts, too. I can't see the BBC being overly keen, what with the last series only managing 3-4 million viewers. There was just such a lack of interest all round.
Report Spam   Logged
Green_Lemons
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 08:46:34 pm »

My interest in Torchwood post series 2 has completely plummeted! Ooops
Report Spam   Logged

Courage