The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 11:41:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Did they leave the Nothing?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did they leave the Nothing?  (Read 199 times)
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« on: June 08, 2011, 06:56:42 pm »

This is a question that intrigues me about The Mind Robber.  I suspect all three of them were trapped by the influence of the robots, and the whole escape from the Nothing and the TARDIS exploding only happened in their heads, and the Land of Fiction was similarly not there in any objective sense.  This seems to be backed up by the fact that the White Robots return in the castle.  I think the computer and the robots must be actually there, somewhere in the Nothing, but everything else is put into the minds of the humans.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:36:09 pm »

That was one of the thoughts that I had, that perhaps none of it actually happened outside of their minds, or maybe even it was just in the Doctor's mind. I don't know if it is ever referenced again in a later story, but I think its entirely possible that it was all in their imagination
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 06:49:04 pm »

I was discussing this with my friend the other day when we watched it. I think that it all really happened, but she argued that it was probably all just in the Doctors mind. Neither is stated, but I definately think it was real
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 12:18:56 pm »

It's a good theory, but I think it happened. I've seen it mentioned a few times where people have suggested that this story is all in the mind, but I like to think that if it was the Doctor would have known and said something at the end.
Report Spam   Logged

lastofthejagaroth
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Ace

The centuries that divide me shall be undone!

View Profile
Apple User Level 4 Signature
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 01:54:59 am »

It is a nice theory but I've always disputed it. First of all, there was originally going to be a closing scene in the TARDIS, with the writer being returned home but they cut it for budgetary purposes (It is a pretty slick-looking story, after all). Second of all, the Doctor visits the Land of Fiction twice more, so it seems like that part's real (unless they run into those Robots a lot and they dream about the same place each time.) Thirdly, if the White Robots weren't invented by the Master, then who created them and what were they doing in the white void?  Lastly, if it was all in their heads, they must be pretty heavy sleepers as that's a LONG dream! And of course they'd all have to somehow dream the same dream.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: "You're Mr Thick Thick Thickety Thickface from Thicktown, Thickania. And so's your dad."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: