The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 03:13:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Patrick Troughton: Missing Stories - The Power of the Daleks

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patrick Troughton: Missing Stories - The Power of the Daleks  (Read 2308 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:18:49 pm »

In many ways I'm being a bit naughty with this review. It is (for the time being) out of production and is only available second hand (at least on Amazon). It is, however, a wonderful sparkling debut performance by the Second Doctor. So on with the show and the bumpf from the back of the box so we're all on the same page!

The first Doctor becomes the second in this exclusive recording of Doctor Who s original regeneration story, starring Patrick Troughton, with linking narration by Anneke Wills I ve been renewed...without it I couldn t survive. Before the astonished eyes of his companions Ben and Polly, the Doctor s whole body has apparently been transformed. Now they are confronted by a stranger who claims to be their old friend but how can they know whether to trust him? The TARDIS s arrival on the swamp planet of Vulcan brings its own problems; the Doctor is mistaken for an official come to solve the Earth colony s in-fighting, and soon he and his companions are embroiled in political wranglings. However, a far more serious threat lurks within the colony. The scientist Lesterson has discovered a crashed space capsule, within it a group of inert metallic creatures which the Doctor identifies as Daleks. Refusing to heed the Doctor s warnings, Lesterson supplies power to the Daleks and revives them. The awakened Daleks claim to be faithful servants of humanity but could such a thing ever be possible? By covert means they seek an increasing level of energy, but for what? By the time the Doctor and his friends discover the Daleks true plan for the colony, it looks as if it might already be too late to stop them...Anneke Wills, who plays Polly in the story, narrates this debut story for the second Doctor, Patrick Troughton, first broadcast in 1966 and long since missing from the television archives

It is difficult for us who are familiar with (and excited by) the concept of regeneration to contemplate just what a crisis the decision of Bill Hartnell to leave the show was. The show was still popular so they decided to recast - but them came the next question, how to explain the appearance of a new actor. Thus was born the brilliant concept of regeneration. A concept so infused with genius that it kept the show fresh for decades. This story, important alone as a historical curio, gains even more mythical status by remaining impenetrably and entirely missing from the BBC Archives. Some stories (Tomb of the Cybermen etc) have popped up. But this one, remains resolutely lost.

Some things, like urinary tract infections, when they go missing you don't really miss them. Others, like Ice Cream, are very much missed and you welcome them back like an old friend. But some things are so precious, like good nights out or a particularly funny joke, that are magical and mystical and you know they'll never come back. Power of the Daleks is one such thing. It is a wonderful tale - written not (as you might expect) by Terror Nation, but instead penned by former Script Doctor, David Whittaker. Unusually for a Whittaker script, it is based on a relatively straightforward premise - Daleks pretending to be nice to get hooked up to the mains so they can reproduce. Yet it works on so many layers. Instead of trying to hoodwink an audience not used to regeneration, the script actually plays on the discomfort of not knowing this apparent impostor. Added to this, "The Doctor" takes on the identity of "The Examiner" to further obfuscate and mislead.

This story is a triumph for Troughton. He sparkles like a cosmic sprite, the dialogue is (unusually for a BBC script of the time) snappy and witty. Both Michael Craze and Anneke Wills provide good support and the ensemble players all have great fun snarling at each other. The missing recording has two different versions. The early one (only available on cassette tape) has linking narration by Tom Baker (which is frankly bizarre but hugely enjoyable). This one, though, has polished links provided by Anneke Wills and together with some clever knob twiddling by the restoration yoda, Mark Ayres, this recording is about as close as we're going to get to capturing the magic of the very first regeneration story.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:46:21 am »

Terror Nation? Was that intentional or just a very funny typo? Grin Grin

I love this. Not heard the version with TB on narration. Not sure I even knew it existed. You are right though, it is totally tragic that this story is lost because I imagine it would have been brilliant, but the audio alone is superb. It was probably the hardest audio to find but I am glad I didnt give up the search. Any Dalek or Two fan should listen to this!
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:09:38 pm »

Terror Nation? Was that intentional or just a very funny typo? Grin Grin

Would you believe it was actually intended - it was a press nickname for him (even though he started as Tony Hanc0ck's script writer)
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:40:14 pm »

This audio is one of my favourites, and this story is one of the ones I would love to see in full the most. PT totally hits the ground running and is just brilliant from the off. If people listened to me I would urge them to get a copy of this and listen from beginning to end, but they don't so I won't Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Coconut-CocaCola
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: second
Favourite Companion: donna noble

Hello sweetie <3

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 10 Posts
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:12:24 pm »

I didn't get my hand on any audios yet, but I read some of the classic novels, the last one being the target novel of The Power of the Daleks. A very enjoyable story. Cheesy

I think all the suspicion of Polly and Ben around the identity of this "new" Doctor during the entire story, and their conclusion, at the end, to accept this new man as their old doctor made it easier for the audience to also accept this regeneration-concept, and kept the show alive. (This, and the endearing new personnality, Patrick Troughton brought to the character) It made realise how easily the next compinions (and the viewers) would since then accept those same changes, by forgetting how much of a shock it must on the doctor's friends.
In short, it is not a story to miss if you are interested in the classics since it was the turning point on whether or not the show of Doctor Who would live on. 

Such a shame that all of the episodes have been lost Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 02:52:46 pm »

Such a shame that all of the episodes have been lost Cry

Yes! This is one of the stories I want back the most.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: