The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:52:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Was it time for Susan to go?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was it time for Susan to go?  (Read 528 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:57:19 am »

I really like Susan and I know Carole Ann Ford left because she felt the character wasn't really developing or going anywhere, but I have always felt that we could have got so much more from the character than we did. I think they made her the damsel too often and she spent a bit too much time screaming but if they had taken the time they would have had so many possible stories for the character and could have really explored her in more depth.

But do you think it was her time to go?
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:16:51 pm »

While generally I quite like Susan, I do think it was time for her to go by this point. None of the companions were being particularly developed I feel, but Susan in particular seemed stuck in a bit of a rut and they obviously had no intention of developing her further, or at least showed no signs of it. And if you are going to leave, this is a great story to do it in
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:35:17 pm »

One of the problems with Susan was that she was written very inconsistently.  In The Sensorites, for instance, she showed clear signs that she was growing up and wanting to spread her wings, as in this one, but then in The Reign of Terror, she was back to beeing a scared little girl.

I agree, though, that this was a great way to go.  Remember, it was the first time one of the regular cast had left, so in a way it was as important to get it right as the first regen.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:51:37 pm »

I think an appropriate analogy here is with Tasha Yar in Star Trek TNG. I think everyone was a little uncertain as to the longevity of the show, the role of the companions and the show was only just starting to find its "voice". Carole Ann Ford herself said that she wanted to grow and develop, but the writing hadn't helped her. I think Nyki's point is a good one; in many ways this was as significant for the show as the regeneration in the Tenth Planet. Up until then, the companions had seemed integral to the show. The moment that Susan left was a critical point in establishing the 'expendable' nature of the companion.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 03:09:15 pm »

Didn't they initially want to replace her with Jenny from this story?
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:57:43 pm »

Did they? Well I am glad they didn't. I don't think she would have worked well. Did they decide against it or did she refuse like Pauline whatsername
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 12:24:23 am »

Apparently, the idea was to make Jenny a younger girl and have her as the new companion, so it wouldn't have been a matter of the actress refusing.  I've never heard any explanation of why they decided against it, but my suspicion has always been it was because Jenny would have basically been coming along with Barbara, and they wanted the new companion to have a more direct link with the Doctor, as Susan had and Vicki did to a slightly lesser extent.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 02:50:23 pm »

I'm glad that Jenny didn't come on board. Well, this version at any rate. I don't like her
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 03:38:47 pm »

Yeah I don't think I would have warmed to her as a companion as she is in this.

Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 06:22:53 pm »

Based on how they used the character, I say yes it was her time to go. However, the character had a lot of unused mileage in it that the writers could have delved into, but ultimately decided against for whatever reason. She had some great moments and was a good character, but possibly one of the most underdeveloped of the classic series.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 11:05:50 pm »

They never quite seemed to know what to do with her. She was intended to be the character that the children watching the show would most identify with, the one most like them (to the extent that they rejected Carole Ann Ford's suggestion that Susan should wear bits of 'alieny' costume that she'd picked up on her travels and liked the look of - they wanted her to look just like a 'normal' kid); BUT, they'd written her as an alien who presumably hadn't been on Earth very long when we first meet her, and has already travelled around in time and space.
Whether or not this was the ideal time for her to leave I'm not sure, but I can understand how they might think the character wasn't really working and decide it was time to write her out.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 11:14:02 am »

But they didnt decide to just write her out though did they? I thought Ford decided it was time to go?
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 05:17:53 pm »

Based on how they used the character, I say yes it was her time to go. However, the character had a lot of unused mileage in it that the writers could have delved into, but ultimately decided against for whatever reason. She had some great moments and was a good character, but possibly one of the most underdeveloped of the classic series.

I think this is absolutely spot on!
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 09:25:46 pm »

But they didnt decide to just write her out though did they? I thought Ford decided it was time to go?

Depends which version of the story you hear.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 09:30:33 pm »

Ooh is there a bit of gossip to be had here? I'd always heard it was CAF's decision to go. Never heard she may have been pushed
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 11:40:04 pm »

Ooh is there a bit of gossip to be had here? I'd always heard it was CAF's decision to go. Never heard she may have been pushed

In the book "The Handbook: The First Doctor" by Howe-Stammers-Walker there is a section called "Production Diary" which quotes a large number of memos and letters sent around the BBC by the people in charge of Doctor Who, and it's fairly clear in that that they decided she should be replaced. On the other hand I'm sure I've seen interviews with her where she has said it was her decision, that she wanted to leave because she didn't think her character was going anywhere.
So who knows?
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 01:38:48 pm »

I had heard a few whispers that she may have been written out but the majority of reports are that she left of her own accord and I have always just assumed it was a fan assumption. I don't suppose it matters much either way but its an interesting spin, for sure
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 02:12:20 pm »

I don't think they wrote her out. Pretty much every companion who has left has had a rumour go around that they were asked to leave. I really do think it was her own choice
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 05:49:11 pm »

I think by this point it was time for her to go. For whatever reason, they decided not to advance her character and I think there was little point in having her there for the sake of it. Barbara and Ian were lucky in that they represented the Historical and Scientific aspects of the show and Susan was a great way of bringing them in, but she didnt really play a role from then on. They could have made more of her character which would have made her stay more worthwhile, but as it was it was best for her to go
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 09:27:29 pm »

The original purpose of her role was supposed to be "a kid to get into trouble", which I suppose she fulfilled, but it can't have been very challenging for her as an actress.  Most of the later young girl characters had a bit more to them.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: