The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 03:25:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Dislike for Amy Pond

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dislike for Amy Pond  (Read 2011 times)
BlueRose

Badges: (View All)
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:20:20 pm »

She had all of two facial expressions in TEH, one wide eyed and the other blank. She appeared to gain a third in TBB, something akin to a cross between being bored, being bitchy, and possibly needing a laxative. I couldn't tell.

In all seriousness, the total lack of character evolution and development is one of the reasons why I don't like Twilight and I really had hoped for better in the latest reboot of the show. Lots of things happen but the characters never change, they don't grow, they don't improve--they don't really appear to learn anything new. Yet we watched Rose transform from an underachieving retail worker to someone capable of working at Torchwood, an insecure medical student into a bad-assed UNIT employee, and a cynical temp who started looking up at the sky at night in wonder versus watching her favorite soaps.

Whatever happened to the concept of the Doctor making people better? I really would've loved to have seen some genuine depth for this gal who showed up as a kissogram, but I actually found myself liking her better as a child back when she was Amelia.

Am I alone in thinking that merely being bitchy and shouty doesn't make one "feisty" and this was some weird attempt at a very pale version of Donna meets Rose?
Report Spam   Logged
fandamnation
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:25:42 pm »

I said this in another thread, but I have not warmed to Amy at all.

I preferred her as the little girl!

You're so right about character evolvement - I don't want to sit and watch a Mary Sue who can immediately do everything and do it well in a short skirt.

She grew up sheltered and waiting for this 'raggedy doctor' - why don't they show an older girl who is a consequence of that? Someone fearful, and isolated and insecure. Then gradually build her up experiencing all the things she dreamed about? They could have done SO MUCH with that idea.

Part of what makes Donna's story so tragic is that the person she became - the person the Doctor showed her who she could be - was lost to her forever. That person was brought to light slowly, through adventures and experiences.

And just...ugh. The kissogram thing? Really? Is this just an excuse to put her in sexy outfits? WTF.
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:29:59 pm »

She grew up sheltered and waiting for this 'raggedy doctor' - why don't they show an older girl who is a consequence of that? Someone fearful, and isolated and insecure. Then gradually build her up experiencing all the things she dreamed about? They could have done SO MUCH with that idea.

This. I'd say she's second to Martha on wasted, underused potential. But even Martha evolved. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:44:10 pm »

One thing I really don't like about Amy is how she treats the men in her life. First throwing herself at the Doctor on the eve of her wedding (not just that, but carrying on when he's clearly not interested and tried to stop her). Then later with Rory, calling him an idiot and, even after losing him and being lucky to have him back from the dead, what does she do at their wedding reception? Try to kiss the Doctor in front of him. I have a feeling that, were these scenes gender-flipped, there'd have been outrage.
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:48:06 pm »

I dont hate Amy, but I am very much on the fence with her. She had the makings of such a great character, but it seems like Moff wanted to make her as one dimensional as possible. In her defense she had some great moments, but the 'shouty pouty' side that kept coming through became very grating at times and it got to the point where you stopped expecting anything of the character because you got so used to seeing the same thing over and over. I won't knock Karen as an actress because I think that given the right scripts and a satisfactory character development then she would have had more scope to breathe in the role, and make the character better, but when the script continuously calls for 'glares at the Doctor' or 'pouts at Rory' then there is only so much you can do.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:49:50 pm »

I gotta agree. I am not a fan of hers. I am sure she is designed to appeal to a certain demographic but it is not mine. The 'shouty-pouty' routine was tired when she did it in 11th Hour - by the time it got to TBB I was just plain bored of her. I didn't warm to her. I don't blame Karen Gillen - there is only so much you can do with what you're given, but Amy has been the biggest contributing factor to my mixed feelings about s. 5. I want to love it, i really do. But Amy Pond is just dislikable.
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:59 am »

I don't 'hate' her, but I will agree that she pretty much has a one-note performance.  Not sure if that is her fault or the way her character is written but it is what it is.  I think that Rory is a better companion Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
BlueRose

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:52:05 pm »

Supposedly this will be changing:

http://news.whoviannet.co.uk/2010/09/amy-a-completely-different-person-in-series-6/

Cynical me sez, "Yup, I bet she'll get good...right in time for people to actually miss her when she goes."

Le sigh.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 07:48:37 am »

I think she still has time to win people over if she changes but Moff needs to tread carefully with her character next series and work on developing her more
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 11:13:12 pm »

I don't hate the character, but I think the writing for her has been inconsistent.  I liked her in the latter half of the season, but in the earlier episodes she really grated on me.  Whining about being taken to an alien museum?  Really?!  I'd be thrilled to go in her place!
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 11:29:58 pm »

I liked her in the first episode, but it went downhill after that. I do think it picked up again for her towards the end though.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

BlueRose

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 02:32:30 pm »

She had all of two facial expressions in the first ep and I found her as the child Amelia far, far more likable. Then I saw the season finale and found she evolved a *little* bit...to three facial expressions.

I'm not big on the pouty-shouty thing and she seems to be mostly a ploy to get the 18-25 male audience to watch the show.

Am I alone? I really had hoped for far better and I don't know if it was the writing, the actress, or both. But I really think she set back women in scifi a number of decades. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 12:40:20 pm »

Im on the fence with this. The character has the potential for greatness, but I think she has been written dreadfully. I wont call the actress or her acting into question, this isnt the place, but I do think Moff ballsed up with her. Particularly in the early half of the series
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Kazairl
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: 2 and 10

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 12:49:44 pm »

I agree with this! I wish they had kept Amy as a child, she was far more likeable :p
Something that I noticed with Amy was that she said quite often "I can't"... Terrible.
I always dread watching s5 because of her... A pity.
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 02:54:27 pm »

Im on the fence with this. The character has the potential for greatness, but I think she has been written dreadfully. I wont call the actress or her acting into question, this isnt the place, but I do think Moff ballsed up with her. Particularly in the early half of the series

Her background was utterly fascinating, but her character was just 2D for me to really like, and what traits were there weren't very likeable.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 08:26:54 pm »

Wrong thread sorry Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »

Question is, is she redeemable? Or beyond hope at this point?
Report Spam   Logged
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 11:23:06 pm »

Beyond redemption for me, I don't think the actress has the chops to deliver the sort of perfomance required to turn my opinion of the character around.  With River, at least I think Alex Kingston could, but the writers won't deliver that.  Amy has made me like season 2 Rose, I never thoiught I'd type that!  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
BlueRose

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 04:45:08 pm »

Beyond redemption for me, I don't think the actress has the chops to deliver the sort of perfomance required to turn my opinion of the character around.  With River, at least I think Alex Kingston could, but the writers won't deliver that.  Amy has made me like season 2 Rose, I never thoiught I'd type that!  Shocked

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm with you there--on all counts.
Report Spam   Logged
BlueRose

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 05:25:17 pm »

Was going on and on in the Amelia love thread, but I really loved the writing for the child far better than the adult version. A shame, really....
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: