The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 12:19:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Dislike for Amy Pond

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dislike for Amy Pond  (Read 2036 times)
Team Hotch
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten!
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 09:16:30 pm »

I never warmed to her either. Liked her at first but there was just nothing much after that. Agree with one of the above posters that i dont like the fact she can do everything first time.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotch: "I'm the only thing standing between you and a bullet."
==

Hotch: "I'm Aaron Hotchner, Unit Chief... Get off my Crime scene!"
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 11:25:17 am »

I don't normally indulge in the 'loathing' side of fandom but this woman is really winding me up Angry

I keep expecting - hoping even - that something will happen to redeem her but after the albeit lightweight but nevertheless infuriating comic relief mini episodes I am officially calling it.

Amy has to be the worst companion of anyone let alone the Doctor Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
BlueRose

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 12:43:27 pm »

Yeah, that was my last straw too. If they were even TRYING to make her into anything other than an obvious ploy for **** 18-25 year old males, they've failed...on top of which, they've set back women in scifi at least two decades.
Report Spam   Logged
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 01:25:38 pm »

Karen is an attractive woman - just her presence in the show should be enough to satisfy any 'cravings' shall we say for the dads etc but this INSISTENCE on using the character to point out the obvious is really growing very tired.  Angry

Considering what the character has gone through/experienced she doesn't appear to be showing ANY signs of wisdom or dare I say it of developing a character. In fact she had more as Amelia. Huh?

What is more galling is that kids/young women are looking up to the character because of her association with the Doctor. A generation that believe the likes of Amy Pond is COOL/worthy of emulation.

Dear God Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 02:06:44 pm »

I don't hate Amy per se, but I will say that having a daughter makes you look at things a different way.  As in, not just entertainment as Mandy said above.  There is the ability to be a role model.  I would have no problem with my daughter, once she is older, watching Rose, Martha, or Donna.  But I am not thrilled with the idea of her watching Amy and suddenly wanting to wear a really short skirt. 
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 03:09:41 pm »

Ah...I wasn't actually querying Amy as a role model in respect of her clothing. I am a firm believer that people - regardless of sex/gender - should dress/attire themselves as they see fit. My daughter wears a short skirt - so do I but we both also have a sense of self worth /of how we wish to be treated/treat others.

No - my problem is Amy's character. Or lack of it. How she is depicted. She is used as a source of innuendo/depicted as a 'tease' for want of a better word. Her character allows that to be - not what she wears.
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »

Mandy nails it. It's crap like this which keeps turning me off to the new show. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 04:34:28 pm »

It would take a lot more than this to put me off the show Smiley Besides companions tend to come and go Wink
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 04:37:58 pm »

It would take a lot more than this to put me off the show Smiley Besides companions tend to come and go Wink

I've admittedly tried and am trying but when I intensely dislike two of the major chars, it makes it hard. :-/
Report Spam   Logged
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 04:43:50 pm »

I've admittedly tried and am trying but when I intensely dislike two of the major chars, it makes it hard. :-/

Ah yes. Sorry I forgot about your dislike of River as well.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 04:54:34 pm »

Ah yes. Sorry I forgot about your dislike of River as well.  Sad

And given how much of the new show is surrounding these two chars...yeah. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 01:01:42 pm »

Well...not that anything has been confirmed..but there have been the rumours going round that this is The Ponds last series and with The Moff stating that River's identity is to be revealed there is every possibility that series 6 may be the journeys end for both characters.

Pun fully intended Wink
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 02:41:55 pm »

Well...not that anything has been confirmed..but there have been the rumours going round that this is The Ponds last series and with The Moff stating that River's identity is to be revealed there is every possibility that series 6 may be the journeys end for both characters.

Pun fully intended Wink

I could hope. I enjoyed Pandorica Opens and plan to do a marathon of S5 over the weekend. I'm just tired of the sexism, the wifey crap, and wish Amy had been a far better and more developed character, and a likable one at that.

I was starting to miss Rose and I had already had Rose burnout, where do I begin? Sad
Report Spam   Logged
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 03:53:00 pm »

Rose at least had some redeeming features however much of an irritant she became. The same cannot be said for Amy - her motivations seem to be totally selfish.

The Doctor treats her like a well loved precocious child which is equally annoying - with all that has happened she should have at least grown up a little but she hasn't and the fact that the Doctor and Rory continue to placate her really doesn't make much sense.

I'm kind of hoping series 6 will put all this to rights - one way or another Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 03:54:51 pm »

Rose at least had some redeeming features however much of an irritant she became. The same cannot be said for Amy - her motivations seem to be totally selfish.

The Doctor treats her like a well loved precocious child which is equally annoying - with all that has happened she should have at least grown up a little but she hasn't and the fact that the Doctor and Rory continue to placate her really doesn't make much sense.

I'm kind of hoping series 6 will put all this to rights - one way or another Smiley

You summed my feelings pretty well. I truly don't understand why people like her. She had all of two facial expressions in the first ep then maybe three in the last eps. I just find her bland and annoying at best.
Report Spam   Logged
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 11:51:16 pm »

From what I can tell people like her because she's young feisty and has long legs Cheesy

Donna took no nonsense from the Doctor and went from being a superficial trite self absorbed irritation to a warm compassionate human being with a deep love and understanding of 10. There was true respect/friendship between them and both benefited from the experience. I see no evidence of this with Amy.

I can understand the Doctor being drawn to Amelia but aside from curiousity as to what surrounded Amy I am at a loss as to why he would continue to have her travel with him. Especially after she got her family back and married  Rory. He's left companions behind for less Lips Sealed

That aside I always assumed Amy's two dimensional character was deliberate - as a result of the crack in time -
with the airing of the christmas specials/mini episodes I've had to put that theory to rest Sad
Report Spam   Logged

The Pandorica Master
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Tenth Doctor
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"You shall bring forth...Sssilence!"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »

It's ironic that you say Rose is a very manipulative woman.
Have you seen Amy Pond? I hold nothing against Mrs Williams but she basically tried to bed the Doctor on the Eve of her Wedding in FAS. She then flirted with Van Gogh. And then, to top it ALL off, she has the cheek to feel surprised at Rory for liking Jennifer!
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 04:30:41 pm »

It's ironic that you say Rose is a very manipulative woman.
Have you seen Amy Pond? I hold nothing against Mrs Williams but she basically tried to bed the Doctor on the Eve of her Wedding in FAS. She then flirted with Van Gogh. And then, to top it ALL off, she has the cheek to feel surprised at Rory for liking Jennifer!

Rose was young and made the mistakes of youth. She also showed signs of character development and growth, some for better and some for worse.

I've yet to see ANY changes in Amy whatsoever. She ranges from flat to downright unlikable. All she does is pout, boss the Doctor around, and complain.
Report Spam   Logged
The Pandorica Master
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Tenth Doctor
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"You shall bring forth...Sssilence!"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 04:45:51 pm »

Isn't that worse, though? Rose was young. That makes her mistakes excusable.
Amy is older. She should know better. But she's back to her 'Kissogram' ways.

I don't like her.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: