The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:25:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The King's Demons

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Really Good - 1 (8.3%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 8 (66.7%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 2 (16.7%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 1 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The King's Demons  (Read 230 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:32:54 pm »

It's time for atory number 3...

The Doctor and his companions arrive at a medieval joust and are surprised to be greeted warmly by King John, who calls them his demons. But when a young nobleman returns, having just left King John in London, the Doctor realizes that this king must be an impostor! Then the Master makes an appearance and the Doctor's worst fears are confirmed...

The next story will be posted on Sunday July 3rd
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 09:34:02 pm »

This is a day early this week as I won't be around in the morning to open it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 09:36:48 pm »

Cool - hopefully I can make a start on it tomorrow  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 09:52:42 pm »

You should be able to get through it pretty quickly. This one is only 2 episodes long
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 09:56:00 pm »

Really?! - that is short. Ok then, hopefully I'll watch it all tomorrow then!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 10:15:18 pm »

Yea the Fifth Doctor had a couple of 2 episode stories, but not many and then Six and Seven had all 2, 3 & 4 episodes stories.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:28:43 pm »

Cool. Should make them a bit easier to fit in in one sitting  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 10:36:46 pm »

Ooh a 2 episode one... Like Black Orchid... Makes it easier! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 01:18:37 pm »

Oh great, a Fifth Doctor story. I'll do my rewatch this evening Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 04:11:23 pm »

Might watch this later on, been a long while since I watched it.
 Afro
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 04:19:03 pm »

Might watch this later on, been a long while since I watched it.
 Afro

Good birthday treat!!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 06:37:20 pm »

Oh dear. I re-watched it. Oh dear.

I hate to be critical of any story involving two things that I love very much; the fifth doctor and Anthony Ainley's Master. But this was a howler. Leaving aside the appalling historical inaccuracies (King John did not want the Magna Carta as much as his nobles). I am not actually sure I have seen a worse story than this. Kamelion was always a White Elephant but, blimey!

My objections are as follows;

First, the whole reason for the Master's dastardly scheme was to foil parliamentary democracy? Hardly the same as controlling the causal nexus or orchestrating an Auton Invasion? I think this is one of those stories which probably sounded really good in the pub but then when it came to the execution. (It is also ever so slightly patronising - suggesting that but for British Democracy the world would succumb to totalitarianism forever).

Also, and I don't want to seem picky, but it appeared that the story appeared to resolve itself when Kamelion just decided it liked the Doctor more? So the English version of parliamentary democracy was saved!

The show has been running for nearly 50 years and it is inevitable that the odd lemon will surface. I will say  I hope to heavens that I am in a minority here and that this is just me in an uber-Victor Meldrew mood.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 12:13:47 pm »

Ok, it wasn't the best thing I've ever seen on TV but I still enjoyed it on the whole for what it was.

Plus points:

I loved the medieval setting, the costumes & the period music. I enjoyed Anthony Ainley's performance as the Master - he exuded a much more subtle menace than I'm used to from this character from only having seen him in post 1996 stories so far. Peter Davison was as good as I would expect him to be. Oh, and I loved Turlough's costume - first time I've seen him in action, so he possibly wears it most of the time, but I just remember thinking I love that look.

Things I didn't like so much:

The resolution was very rushed. Five minutes to go & there still seemed to be so much to do. The  bam! the Doctor grabs Kamelion & it's all over. Hmm. Also the guy who owned the castle was very easily persuaded back to accepting the King in his house was the real one, even though his own cousin had told him he had left the real one in London 4 hours before. I know this was probably the point but he just seemed a little bit too ready to accept that - things like that always grate on me! I spotted the historical inaccuracy with regard to the Magna Carta as well - definitely had me going, huh?! (still I'm used to that huh?! reaction now after 4 series of The Tudors so it doesn't bother me as much as it previously might have done!)

I think I'm going to go with a 3. I might question that as I see more stories, but that's where I'm at with it about now.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 12:38:54 pm »

I've given it a 3. I didn't mind the story or the silly bits, but the ending was way too abrupt and the story could have done with a bit more fleshing out. Every time I see it I feel like I have skipped some episodes or something. It doesn't flow too well. Tegan being a whiney b!tch all the way through doesn't help either.

As PRG says though, the setting is a great one and the costimes and music are pretty good. There was potentially a great story there that wasn't really given chance to develop
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 08:45:22 pm »

I rewatched this a little while back. Will give it another go this week though Smiley

Glad to get a Fifth Doctor story so early on, even if it's not the greatest
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 11:48:11 am »

I gave it a 4. In reality its probably more than it deserves but its not as awful as some stories and it's quite enjoyable for what it is. I would agree with Ex that there could perhaps have been a bit more of a fleshed out story because every time I watch I feel a bit like I have skipped an episode, but there are some great things to be enjoyed about it all. If I could, I'd probably have gone for 3.5
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 02:05:38 pm »

I've gone with a 3. I really try to see the best in everything and there are some great moments here alongside the bad. My biggest gripe is probably the length. I hate two parters in the classics. The shortest a story should be is 3-4 episodes because they always need time to flesh it out and set it up. It was never really as fast paced as todays offerings and with this story I think by the time you are getting into full swing it finishes. Some parts are a tad unbelievable and the Master is just there for the sake of it, but they sets were great and some of the guest cast were on fine form and PD puts in a great performance
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 05:35:05 pm »

I gave it a 3.  It was enjoyable enough, and the historical setting was excellent - far better, for instance, than The Time Warrior, which is overall a better story.  I didn't mind the historical inaccuracies as much as Chris - it seemed to be simply a case of overdoing the reappraisal of King John (which was needed).

It did appear to be too easily resolved, which is always the drawback when everything hinges on a struggle between minds.  It worked in The Brain of Morbius, but seems like an anticlimax here.

OK, but not one I'm likely to rush to rewatch.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 02:29:37 pm »

I went with a two. I always try to find the good in a story and this one has it's moments, but on the whole it isn't for me. The setting could have been made so much more of and it felt a bit like they did it for the sake of it rather than having an actual story to tell there. The ending was rushed and silly and Kamelion was not the addition to the team that we needed. The Master was used ridiculously and while I understand their reasoning for bringing the character back, they should have done it in a story more worthy of the character. My two points were mainly for the sets and costumes and some witty lines of dialogue.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 06:43:23 pm »

3 for me. I was excited for the setting and visually it hit the mark but the story wasn't as good as I would have hoped. I didn't like this version of the Master. I like the one from the Third Doctor stories.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: