The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 16, 2024, 05:38:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Vislor Turlough

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vislor Turlough  (Read 142 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:46:18 pm »

Vislor Turlough — more commonly just "Turlough" — was a companion of the Fifth Doctor who principally traveled alongside Tegan Jovanka, but also had a few adventures with Nyssa and Kamelion. He also briefly met and saved the life of Peri Brown before departing the Doctor's company.

Turlough was a complex individual, whose motivations were often unclear to those around him. He was for a time — by his own choice — under the influence of the Black Guardian. During this period he was actively trying to kill the Doctor. Later, after overcoming the Black Guardian, he was mostly a trusted member of the TARDIS crew, but there remained instances where his actions were questioned. It was only at the end of his time on the TARDIS that the Doctor finally discovered the truth about how Turlough ended up on Earth, and why he was susceptible to the Black Guardian in the first place.

Turlough acted selfishly, always preventing himself from blame. He could lie convincingly to most though some, such as Tegan and the Brigadier, were not taken in by him.

Tegan did not like Turlough, finding him untrustworthy. She did not approve of the Doctor letting Turlough consider the Black Guardian's offer, believing that Turlough would choose the crystal. However, the Doctor was confident in Turlough's morals.

Despite this, he recognised the Doctor's good intentions; he tried to make the Black Guardian reconsider his order to kill the Time Lord. He understood the TARDIS systems well enough to be able to run a diagnostic in The Five Doctors and programmed the TARDIS to rescue the Doctor and Peri in Planet of Fire.

Turlough was the last male companion to travel with the Doctor on-screen until Adam Mitchell, who joined in Dalek in 2005
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:52:27 pm »

No matter how much I watch Turlough, I am constantly on the fence with him. I never quite feel like I should like him, but I sort of want to at the same time. I suppose because of his other stories they have to keep most of his actions a bit questionable. He's alright in this story though
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:12:28 am »

Hard to judge him from this one story, though I do know some of his back story from the audios I've listened to with him in. I thought he was good in this though. Cool outfit too.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:58:40 pm »

I've liked him a lot better since watching the Guardian trilogy, but I never really felt much connection with Turlough.  And he looks a bit absurd trying to be convincing as a schoolboy.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:58:49 pm »

I liked the idea of Turlough! An alienated, ambiguous adolescent who was not the stereotypical companion. It provided some good dynamic with (not only the Doctor) but also Tegan - which was unusual and provided an interesting plot device.

Unfortunately Turlough suffers from a number of problems. Instead of an angst ridden adolescent we got a mid-20 something public school boy who appealed to absolutely no one. The fact that he wanted to kill the Doctor was an interesting development, but once that had been resolved, the Doctor took very little interest in him! A strange character with lots of potential but, in the end little was made of this potential.

And he didn't have a badge for mathematical excellence!
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:00:00 pm »

I should add that none of the problems were down to Mark Strickson's acting - which I thought was really good. He also seems very happy with his part in the show and is a thoroughly nice chap!
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:35:06 pm »

I should add that none of the problems were down to Mark Strickson's acting - which I thought was really good. He also seems very happy with his part in the show and is a thoroughly nice chap!

Yes, and he seems very aware of the shortcomings in how the character was handled.  He commented somewhere that they always just resorted to having him knocked out.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 06:54:44 pm »

Is he actually meant to be a school boy then? I wasn't sure if maybe he just dressed like one. He looks about 30 Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 01:51:38 am »

Is he actually meant to be a school boy then? I wasn't sure if maybe he just dressed like one. He looks about 30 Shocked

Well, he's actually an alien, so who knows, but when he first appeared he was at a public school and no-one seemed to think there was anything odd about it.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 01:21:01 pm »

I had a bit of a crush on Mark Strickson when I was young. I was never hugely keen on the character though. I liked him but like Ex says above, there was always something about the character that sort of had me on edge
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 05:03:54 pm »

The character made sense at first when he was sent there by the Black Guardian and was (rather feebly) trying to kill the Doctor. After that whole plotline was resolved, though, they never really seemed to know quite what to do with him. There was a whole heap of potential for character development in all kinds of ways, but he never really seemed to go anywhere.
Although, as Vampyros Adric said, that is in no way a reflection on Mark Strickson's performance, which was always excellent.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 05:15:09 pm »

I have only seen him in this and the one in Lanzarote but I don't remember much about him from that story. In this one though he was a bit of a wet blanket. It was like he took the role usually taken by the woman and was the damsel type character. I think behind the scenes Tegan secretly batters him Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: