The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 04:11:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Kamelion

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kamelion  (Read 168 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:49:41 pm »

Kamelion was a shape-changing android. Initially used by the Master, he went on to travel as a companion to the Doctor.

Kamelion was the tool of an invader of the planet Xeriphas. When the Master was trapped on that planet, he discovered Kamelion and used him in his next encounter with the Doctor. Although Kamelion was sentient to a degree, it was also extremely weak-willed, and therefore open to manipulation by any strong personalities around it. The Doctor freed Kamelion from the Master's grip, and it joined the Doctor in the TARDIS.

Kamelion eventually fell under the Master's remote influence in Lanzarote and assumed the shape of Peri's loathed stepfather Howard Foster and then the Master himself. In the end, Kamelion begged the Doctor to end its life. The Doctor reluctantly honoured that request
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:44:03 pm »

More than anything else, this story is guilty of the crime of bringing in this hump of junk. Kamelion was such a waste of space!
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:21:46 am »

I think the idea behind a character like Kamelion was probably a good one, and if done properly it could have been great. Unfortunately, based on this showing, it wasn't. He didn't do enough to actually bother me though, so I'm avoiding a totally negative opinion of him.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 11:38:42 am »

I think the idea behind a character like Kamelion was probably a good one, and if done properly it could have been great. Unfortunately, based on this showing, it wasn't. He didn't do enough to actually bother me though, so I'm avoiding a totally negative opinion of him.

I think the idea behind the character was it's downfall. JNT was looking for something to be a sort of successor to K9 and happened to see the prototype for the robot that would become Kamelion, so immediately wrote it into the story despite other people involved in the show being highly skeptical and not wanting to use it. Then when it came to actually using it, it never really worked properly and held up filming a lot because it would break down, which is why it was rarely seen.

Personally I always thought that the character was a big mistake and they shouldnt have rushed into bringing it onto the series, certainly not as a companion.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:52:49 am »

Ah see, I didn't know that.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:57:12 am »

There's a whole featurette about it on the DVD. Some of the guys have been talking about it in the Bonus Features thread. It's worth watching if you can find it somewhere Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:01:32 pm »

I just had a quick look to see if it was online somewhere but I couldnt see it. You might have more luck though because I was only brief. Its called 'Kamelion - Metal Man'
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 12:32:06 pm »

Ok, no worries. I'll have a look. I plan to start getting some of the DVDs anyway so if not I'll see it then. Kind of thinking of tying my purchases in with the ones I've watched in the Quest, depending on price of course  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 02:02:05 pm »

I suppose this is sort of a good 'try before you buy' scenario. A lot of the DVDs are worth the price for the extras alone.

As for Kamelion, I was never really a fan. I think the best thing they did was to write the character out because it just didn't work
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 05:55:49 pm »

Neither of the Kamelion stories are really ones I know well.  I thought it was a lot better used in Planet of Fire than here (the Master can alter his appearance, so why didn't he impersonate the King?) but it clearly just seemed like a good idea at the time.  Would probably come top of a "companions you'd least want to see return" poll.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 02:39:16 pm »

One of the biggest wastes of space that the show has ever produced. The reasoning behind bringing the character in should have been enough of a warning sign that it was a bad idea. They should have done something similar with it to the TARDIS and made it stick in one of it's appearances. It at least would have made it more useable
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 06:59:04 pm »

I thought he was funny. I thought it was the acting at first, but I am guessing the frustration on everyone's faces was genuine Grin

I don't think I would want to see him too often though.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 03:27:13 pm »

I thought he was funny. I thought it was the acting at first, but I am guessing the frustration on everyone's faces was genuine Grin

I don't think I would want to see him too often though.

I think he is only in 3 stories, maybe 2, and they aren't one after the other, so luckily we won't be seeing much of him anyway
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 05:09:38 pm »

So basically JNT brought it into the show, regardless of whether it would work, because he liked the look of it? Smart move! I didn't find him too annoying to watch, but I imagine it would have been a nightmare to work with
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 05:47:11 pm »

I actually quite like the idea of a shape-shifting robot companion. If it had been properly used they could've just had one scene with the robot in the TARDIS at the start of each story, then had it shape-shift, and thus had a different guest companion for every story.

The problem was that it was done in such a ham-fisted way. The robot looked terrible, didn't work, and was almost completely immobile. It seems as if JNT wanted a robot companion so much that he completely ignored the fact that the technology to make it work just wasn't there.

Also, if it had been used more, I'm not sure that the idea of it being susceptible to the will of anyone who happened to be nearby would have worked. In one or two stories it makes for an interesting plotpoint, but if Kamelion had become a regular companion I think it would've just got in the way.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: