The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 11:19:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Master

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Master  (Read 296 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:56:46 pm »

While I quite like Ainley as the Master (Delgado is my personal fave), I think his appearance here was wasted and stupid and made the character seem a bit of an idiot. What little there was of his plan to begin with was just silly. If he really wanted to topple the King and stop Magna Carta from coming into being there were a million better ways he could have done it, and the silliness of the story sort of makes the Master seem like a bit of a buffoon.

I might be wrong here, but I think the point of this season was to bring back an old enemy in every story, which I think was detrimental to the character because they squeezed him into a silly story which really didn't need him
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:26:02 am »

I liked him - the subtle menace was better than what the character will go on to become. He didn't do much in this story though - shame really cause I can imagine he's a great character in this incarnation given a good storyline. I look forward to seeing more of this Master though.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 02:07:45 pm »

Delgado is my favourite too, but Ainley was also great. Here though I think they wasted an appearance by shoving him in for the sake of it. You are right Exterminate, during this season the aim was to bring back a classic villain in each story, but unless there is a good reason, and with the Master there wasn't, it can turn out a bit damp and this is what happened here I think
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 02:20:23 pm »

Also, how did he even escape after what happened in Time Flight?
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 05:45:50 pm »

Also, how did he even escape after what happened in Time Flight?

He says that Kamelion helped him escape, though he didn't go into how.

I agree that Ainley's a worthy second to Delgado as the Master.  It did seem a slightly random use of the character, though I think the disguise worked a lot better than in Time Flight (well, it couldn't have worked much worse).
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 02:58:03 pm »

He was totally wasted in this story. I usually find the Master (in any incarnation) pretty hit or miss, but the character deserved better than this. They squeezed him in to the story for the sake of it
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 01:27:09 pm »

Ainley's Master was the first I ever saw as a youngster and he used to terrify me. He has a real menacing look about him. Even in this story where his presence is a bit hit and miss, he still manages to have this air of danger around him and you always sort of feel that he is capable of anything and that you never know what he might do next, which always makes him worth watching even if the story he is in isn't so great
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 05:08:52 pm »

I've always loved Ainsley's Master. He was the first I saw as a child, and is still my favourite. The problem I have with him in many stories is that he just seems to get thrown in for the sake of it when he isn't really necessary. That's true to an extent here, and even more so in stories like The Mark Of The Rani and Trial Of A Time Lord. In those stories he becomes almost a secondary villain, which the Master should never never be. While I didn't like much of what Russell T Davies did with the character, he did at least get the level of threat he should be right. When the Master returns he should threaten everyone and everything, not just be a bit of a pest.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 05:17:39 pm »

He was definately wasted here. I want the Master to be dastardly and devious but he was just thrown in here like a prop and his presence was pointless. He came in with a silly plan, got defeated and then that was that.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 09:42:27 pm »

I have to agree with everyone else, the Master was just sort of jammed into this story for the sake of it and even then they really weren't true to the character. This sort of plot was very beneath the character imo
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 11:56:22 pm »

If they really wanted to have someone trying to change history for the sheer hell of it, why not bring back the Meddling Monk? This story would've suited him far better. I know Peter Butterworth was dead by then, but the Monk was a Timelord so he could've regenerated.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 11:24:50 pm »

That would have been awesome, but the story would have to have been a bit different - the Monk always meant well and was trying to improve things.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: