The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 11:17:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Thoughts of A Newbie

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts of A Newbie  (Read 809 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:58:03 pm »

So tonight, I decided to have a night away from writing (i'm up to 25000 words if you're interested only another 50000 to go). And what should I do? Initially the answer was clear - Four to Doomsday was leaping out from my shelf and begging to be watched. Then I thought again. The nice chaps from Amazon had decided to send me Invasion of the Bane. So with indecent haste, off came the plastic wrapper (always a satisfying moment I find) and into my DVD went the pilot....

The arrival of the 'BBC Children's DVD' logo sent me into shivers but the familiar warm tinkle of the 2Entertain logo soon soothed my troubled brow. The Domino's Pizza man turned up just at the right time and I was all set.

First impressions were.. typical Rusty set up. Dysfunctional family with tragic but remarkably unaffected girl at the centre - check! Good inclusive demographic mix - check! Ages before we properly meet the eponymous hero - check. And so it goes on, exuding all of the quality that we came to expect from the Gardiner-Collinson-Davies dream team. Yes, the kids were a little OTT and really trying to be cool in the way that only stage-schooled children can try. Granted (and this is heresy) but I am not the biggest fan of Sarah Jane - all that feistiness sometimes just makes her a little too unlikeable but, mid way through this pilot and two thoughts struck me; first, I shouldn't have ordered Garlic Bread AND two large pizzas as I'm feeling a little bilious and secondly, what a cracking little tale this is. Maria was both engaging and unpretentious, Luke seems a fine little fella. Sarah Jane is an acquired taste but once you re-acquire her its like the Masque of Mandragora was only yesterday. RTD is the finest TV writer this country has at the moment and in Gareth Roberts he has an able writing partner.

The story was both interesting yet light enough not to take itself too seriously. The guest star (the divine Sam Bond) ripped chunks out of the script and seemed to be having a whale of a time camping the whole thing up - why don't guest stars do that on Doctor Who any more? And hang on... Isn't Mr Smith that nice Xander Armstrong?

Then, just as i was forcing the last bit of Pepperoni Passion down it struck me; I was a little sceptical that I had seen SJA at its very best in 'The Wedding of Sarah Jane' (and that is probably true) but actually I still very much enjoyed this pilot as well. In these barren times in between Who finishing and the Xmas special, I might have discovered a little gem of a series to keep me going.

Stay tuned for more thoughts of a newbie, as a veteran 'Who' watcher plunges into the dangerous and seamy underbelly that is Season 1 of the SJA. Probably not with as much pizza next time though...!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: