The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 12:18:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Original Hand Of Fear

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Original Hand Of Fear  (Read 307 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:29:45 pm »

The Doc mentioned in the R&R thread that the story was originally going to be different so I thought I would dig up some info on what should/could/would have been if it went out as the original 6 part story, which I found HERE.

“Hand Of Fear” was set in the 1990s, at a time when technology and the military are forbidden. Sarah is sent to live in a commune while the Doctor is despatched to a labour camp. There he meets the aged Brigadier -- now part of EXIT, the Extraterrestrial Xenological Intelligence Taskforce -- and discovers that an anthropologist named Mountford has unearthed a mysterious fossilised hand. The hand takes control of Mountford's mind and forces him to transport it to the Nuton nuclear reactor (previously seen in Baker and Martin's Season Nine story The Claws Of Axos), which is in the process of being decommissioned. There, the radiation allows the hand to regenerate into its original form: a creature called an Omegan made of teryllium, which has travelled to Earth from inside a black hole.

It transpires that there are actually two Omegans at work on Earth, representing different factions of their people. The “hawk” Omegans wish to destroy humanity, while the “dove” Omegans simply want to remove mankind as an interstellar threat. They have accomplished this by slowly devolving men into ape-like Trogs, which manifested itself early on as the backlash again science. Sarah is now undergoing the same transformation. This is undone, however, when the “hawk” Omegan (who crashlanded on Earth, necessitating his reconstitution at Nuton) destroys his “dove” counterpart. He then flees Earth in the other Omegan's spaceship, having configured Nuton to explode and obliterate the planet. At the last second, the Doctor manages to redirect the power of the blast to fuel an experimental rocket called the Icarus. Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart commandeers the Icarus and uses it to pursue the Omegan, ultimately sacrificing himself by ramming the enemy vessel head-on, preventing it from impacting with the Earth.

Personally, I'm glad they went with the one we got. Especially as they were going to kill off the Brig too Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 11:32:19 pm »

Yes, I think we got the better story.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:50:36 pm »

We definately got the better story. The one above doesn't seem as fun and I can't imagine the reaction killing the Brig would have got from fans. Saying that though, was he as popular back then or is it more of a hindsight thing?
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:59:38 pm »

I think we definately got the better story
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:35:01 am »

We definately got the better story. The one above doesn't seem as fun and I can't imagine the reaction killing the Brig would have got from fans. Saying that though, was he as popular back then or is it more of a hindsight thing?

He was popular back then, but he'd pretty much disappeared from the scene - he hadn't been in the last two stories to feature UNIT (The Android Invasion, Seeds of Doom) so maybe killing him off seemed a logical step.  I'm just glad they didn't.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 11:53:06 am »

I think, because as Nyki has said, the Brig was pretty absent for a time, that perhaps killing him off would have been a bit of a disservice to the character. To me, it seems that it would have made a lot more sense to kill him off if he had been in it a lot around the time they were planning it, and that way it would have packed a bit more of an emotional punch, especially given his long association with the show. I'm glad they decided against it though. The Brig should live forever!
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:25:52 pm »

I think killing off the Brig would have been a hugely bad idea back then. Not because they would be killing him off, but because I don't think they would have come up with something suitable for such a longstanding character. They had a tendancy back then to just move on from story to story with old villains, companions or whatever sometimes never getting a mention again. I think if they had killed the Brig off, while they also shouldnt dwell on it, they would have just moved on and everything would have been dandy in the next story and I don't think that would have been fitting given the Doctor's relationship with him and his standing in the show.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:14:48 pm »

So he wasn't a regular who turned up in practically every story then? I thought, because I have heard people talk about 'The UNIT Years' and things like that, that for a long time during the classics they were all in every story. I know it started in the Third Doctor era, but I thought it went right though to Five or something.

When were the UNIT years? Why are they so called? And how many years were there?
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 02:19:31 pm »

You never know, perhaps killing off the character of The Brig would have made him even more popular than he is now. He didn't really develop much beyond this point and his appearances got fewer and far between so giving him a big heroic sendoff could have actually been a positive thing for the character. I'm glad they didn't, but I thought I would throw it out there as a suggestion
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 12:29:21 pm »

It's an interesting theory, but I am glad they didn't go through with it. His appearances may have been fewer but they were always great
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 04:00:49 pm »

So he wasn't a regular who turned up in practically every story then? I thought, because I have heard people talk about 'The UNIT Years' and things like that, that for a long time during the classics they were all in every story. I know it started in the Third Doctor era, but I thought it went right though to Five or something.

When were the UNIT years? Why are they so called? And how many years were there?

UNIT was first introduced in The Invasion, right at the end of Troughton's era (late 1968).  From Pertwee's debut in 1970, The Brig and UNIT were in every story in 1970, all but one in 1971, two out of five in 1972 & 1973 and three out of five in 1974 (though the Brig only made a cameo in The Time Warrior).  When Tom Baker took over, they were in one story each of the first two series.  UNIT featured in two further stories, but the Brig wasn't in them.  He then reappeared in two stories in 1983 and one in 1989  Quite a few stories in "the UNIT years" didn't feature either UNIT or the Brig, but there were usually a lot of references to them, since the Doctor and the companions (mostly) worked for UNIT.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: