The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 01:03:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Viewing The Hand Of Fear After The Death Of Elisabeth Sladen

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viewing The Hand Of Fear After The Death Of Elisabeth Sladen  (Read 180 times)
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:30:10 pm »

Do you think that this story, or indeed any and all that include Lis Sladen, is perhaps being more fondly remembered due to her recent death and the fact that it is a finale of sorts for her character? It's sort of a touchy subject and I mean no disrespect so I am trying to be careful in how I word the question, but since she passed and this was reaired on the BBC, it seems to have shot up from an average story to a great one in many fans opinions, so do you think perhaps circumstances have made people appreciate it more than they ordinarily would have?

I hope I managed to get through that without offending anyone Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 05:41:09 pm »

Okay same here anything I write here is not meant to offend/upset anyone.

It was rather ironic that I ordered this on DVD about a week before Lis passed away, and I'm kind of proud to say that this is the first classic Who episode I watched which was actually the day before Sladen passed away.
When I heard that BBC was 'replaying' this story I was quite happy as it gave a chance for newer fans (like me) to appreciate the classic series and an amazing actress. Admittedly it was the first classic story I'd watched so had little to compare it to, but I definitely think the BBC did the right thing to reshow this episode as now having seen a few other stories with Sarah Jane Smith in it certainly is the best in my opinion. Okay I guess it possibly has gone up in it's rating since Lis sadly passed away, but I don't really see that as a bad thing, because it's an amazing episode to be remembered with.

*cringes at the thought I might have said something to annoy/upset anyone. So sorry if I have*
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:57:47 pm »

I don't think people will be offended. Its an interesting topic to discuss. People will obviously love or hate the story and those opinions may change now that it is being viewed in a sort of new way. I remember not long after she passed away something was said about a new character tourney and a comment was made about how SJS would definately win, or at least rate really highly, and I think things like that are potentially more offensive, though that is about a person/character as apposed to a story.

I would imagine that should opinions of the story change it will be more to do with the ending than the story as a whole, as the ending, especially the 'don't forget me' line, is more likely to stir up new emotions for people who may not have been so keen on the overall story, as well as people who were already fans of it.

Does any of that make sense?
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 12:40:50 am »

I think it's a perfectly fair question.  I think the story already had a special place as Sarah Jane's swansong (for the time being) - that may have intensified, but I don't think it's new.  I'd say the story as a whole has a few flaws, and I suspect there'll be a tendency to ignore those, but I don't think it's a case of a weak story being set on a pedestal - perhaps a good story being set on a slightly higher pedestal.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 02:21:39 pm »

I have always really liked the story and I personally think the death of Lis Sladen just makes the ending all the more bittersweet, but the reason I asked in the first place is because like Roranicus pointed out, opinions on things like this tend to get a bit skewed when someone has recently died. Its also interesting to see how people react to it as well. When it aired on BBC4 after she died, I was watching an argument unfold elsewhere online between some people because one said he hated it before, and still hated it now regardless of circumstances at which point he was pounced on by many who were calling him direspectful and hateful etc, even though his comments never extended beyond his opinion of the actual story and it was as though people wanted him to suddenly love it because LS is no longer with us.

So yea, that's sort of my reasoning behind the asking Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 06:55:38 pm »

All fair points, nothing to offend anyone so don't worry yourselves!

I'd be surprised if the ending didn't have extra poignancy for any SJS fan after Lis passed, even if the base story is a clunker for you.

I think it's a good story with a brilliant ending, always thought that & always will.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:22:10 pm »

For me, the disrespect lies in suddenly liking someone, or something they have done just because they have passed away. I think if anything the ending of the story will seem sadder or more bittersweet, but her death shouldnt affect how people like or dislike the story, or any other for that matter
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 03:04:45 pm »

For me, the disrespect lies in suddenly liking someone, or something they have done just because they have passed away. I think if anything the ending of the story will seem sadder or more bittersweet, but her death shouldnt affect how people like or dislike the story, or any other for that matter

I agree completely. I think it comes down to a persons own integrity and whether they are willing to go against what they really feel about something just so they can be seen to say or do what people think they should. I'd have no issue with anyone coming in here and saying they hated the story of the character etc, because that shouldnt change based on the fact that the actress died. The character and the actress were two seperate entities and I think that can sometimes be easy to forgot, which is what might lead people to getting offended
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »

For me, I am still quite new to the character. I saw the couple of bits she did in NuWho, which didn't really amount to much after School Reunion and I saw Death Of The Doctor and now this, so in terms of the character, while I think she has been great, I'm still sort of wondering what all the fuss is about if that makes sense? I just mean that SJS is always heralded as this amazing, number 1 of all time companion, and while I don't doubt that it is deserved I havent reached that point yet where I see her the same way because I havent seen very much of her, so her passing, although very sad, isn't likely to make me personally see her character in any way other than how I normally would. Does that make sense?
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 12:31:46 pm »

Yea it makes sense. I think you can see in all her appearances how good a companion she is, but to watch her run right through you get a full idea of why she was so special and why she meant so much to so many people
Report Spam   Logged
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »

I didn't know about any of this! Very glad we got what we did in the end. I don't think the original story would have gone down as well
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: