The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:34:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Sarah Jane's Farewell

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sarah Jane's Farewell  (Read 304 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:49:21 pm »

OMG how heartbreaking was that?!?! I know the actress chose to leave, but she played it so brilliantly that I truely honestly believed that she wanted to stay and was gutted that she had to go. I know that's the way it's written, but I just found it better played and more believable than an exit like Rose's for example, where she too wanted to stay but I just think there wasn't as much heart in it.

That scene where she is standing with her things and the stuffed owl... Brilliant!! Cry Cry

Anyone know why she actually chose to leave? I know nobody stays forever but from what I know she sort of dissappeared after DW, so it wasn't as though she moved on to a different job or something
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:46:05 am »

I think she'd just gone as far as she felt she could with it.  She'd been in it close on three years, and probably felt she wanted to try her hand at other things.  She was in a fair bit in the later 70s, but she took time out to bring up her daughter.

According to the extras, that final scene was put together by Hinchcliffe and Holmes, but Tom and Lis didn't feel convinced by it, so they took it away and tweaked it themselves.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:48:17 am »

Yea Tom Baker mentioned it too when discussing Lis Sladens death about how they went and rewrote loads of it. Either way though I think they did a great job and they both acted it out brilliantly. As TC said, you really truly felt that Sarah Jane wanted to stay and you could feel just how dissapointed she was that she couldnt. This has always been one of my favourite companion exits in the show
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:51:45 pm »

I've only watched it twice now but both times I've wanted to watch 'School Reunion' straight afterwards.

It is quite sad esp as it is so clear the character really doesn't want to go, but I also like the fact that SJS is left upbeat after realising the Doctor has made a mistake. Wonder how long that lasted after she discovered where she really was!
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 06:51:57 pm »

I've only watched it twice now but both times I've wanted to watch 'School Reunion' straight afterwards.

It is quite sad esp as it is so clear the character really doesn't want to go, but I also like the fact that SJS is left upbeat after realising the Doctor has made a mistake. Wonder how long that lasted after she discovered where she really was!

I fully agree with this!
Ending with her chuckle that he STILL couldn't get it right, brings a smile to a sad moment.
And I'm the same, always want to stick School Reunion on next!
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:25:21 pm »

I've always thought her farewell scenes were so well written and acted. Both the Doctor and SJS seemed genuinly sad to have to part ways with each other. I wouldnt say its ever made me Cry but it is definately emotional
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 03:09:44 pm »

There isn't much really that I can add that hasn't already been said. I thought it was a brilliant and fitting exit for the character and I love that it ended on a sort of happy note with her going away laughing. It always makes me cry a little, but I am a sucker for crying.

As a bit of useless information, Lis Sladen couldn't whistle, so they had to have someone behind the scenes do it and she just mimed. I have no idea why I know that or how. Maybe it's mentioned on the extras or something
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 02:22:11 pm »

It was definately one of my favourite parts of the story and I think Lis Sladen and Tom Baker did a wonderful job with it to make it moving but sort of happy at the same time. Definately one of my favourite companion exits
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 04:05:42 pm »

As a bit of useless information, Lis Sladen couldn't whistle, so they had to have someone behind the scenes do it and she just mimed. I have no idea why I know that or how. Maybe it's mentioned on the extras or something

Yes, it's in the main documentary on the extras.  It was the director, Lennie Mayne, who provided the whistling.

Speaking of which, it seems slightly spooky that she was whistling "Daddy Wouldn't Buy Me a Bow-Wow" considering that the Doctor later sent her K9.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 09:57:46 pm »

Every time I watch this, without fail, I end up in tears and it has been made even worse since Elisabeth Sladen passed away because it all seems more poignant and bittersweet. It was a brilliant and fitting ending for the character I thought and one of the better exits in the classic series
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: