The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 11:21:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Sarah Jane Smith

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sarah Jane Smith  (Read 127 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: July 02, 2011, 10:13:08 pm »

Sarah Jane Smith was a journalist who travelled with the Doctor in his third and fourth incarnations and was also acquainted with his tenth and eleventh. Together with her friends she met and battled aliens that came to Earth.

At age 23, when working for Metropolitan magazine, Sarah posed as her aunt, a famous virologist, in order to infiltrate a UNIT-controlled facility where some scientists had gone missing. She met Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and UNIT's unpaid scientific advisor, the Third Doctor. Suspicious of the Doctor's activities, Sarah Jane stowed away in the Doctor's TARDIS and traveled back in time with him to 13th century England, to defeat a Sontaran known as Linx, who had kidnapped the scientists.

Along with another human companion, Harry Sullivan, Sarah Jane and the Doctor traveled off on other adventures in time and space. The Doctor, in his new incarnation, had less interest in Earth, yet he seemed to have a closer relationship with Sarah Jane herself. She was present on the planet Skaro during the creation of the Daleks by Davros and the Doctor's attempt to change or prevent it.

Finally, after many trips with him, the Doctor received a summons to return to Gallifrey, his home world; as a human, she could not accompany him. The Doctor attempted to deposit her near her flat in South Croydon, but mistakenly left her in Aberdeen, Scotland, instead.

As a companion, Sarah Jane was confident, inquisitive and possessed a sharp mind and a sharp tongue. She was also something of a feminist; she was infuriated when the Third Doctor asked her to make coffee and she often verbally sparred with fellow companion Harry Sullivan over his chauvinistic and unintentionally patronising attitude towards her. Her feminism was more practical than fanatical, and did not get in the way of forming close friendships with Harry, or later with the Doctor himself. She shared a strong rapport with the Doctor, and her subsequent life has been shaped by her finding him a tough act to follow; she stops short of saying that she had fallen in love with the Doctor, though several of her exchanges with him after their reunion, in addition to the context of one of her conversations with Rose, strongly implies that she indeed had developed feelings for him. Despite the passage of time she maintained her can-do personality, and since reuniting with him, remained a close friend of the Doctor.

Rani once pointed out to the Tenth Doctor that Sarah Jane doesn't like being called just "Sarah", though he replied that "she does by me." Indeed, during her years traveling in the TARDIS the Doctor, along with a few other individuals such as Harry, and even Mike Yates, referred to her numerous times simply as "Sarah". To date, the Doctor remains the only person to still regularly call her this without her objection.

Sarah received training in evasion tactics from her UNIT days, which she never forgot, she stated "U.N.I.T training, never forgot it, just getting a bit older". She gained superb leadership skills from her time with the Doctor and was very good with her Sonic lipstick. She was intelligent and very knowledgeable about many types of aliens.

Please use this thread to discuss Sarah Jane Smith
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 11:38:09 pm »

This story's a reminder, if any's needed, about just how great a character Sarah Jane is and how well Lis played her.  The contrast between the usual Sarah and the possessed Sarah was beautifully shown.  And all in a silly costume Cool

Incidentally, it's occurred to me that Sarah Jane was actually possessed/hypnotised more often than any other companion - Planet of the Spiders, Masque of Mandragora, Hand of Fear.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:31:46 pm »

She was brilliant throughout. And I loved the outfit. Stuff like that is very in right now. I didn't realise how much comic timing she had either. I've still only seen a tiny bit of SJA and her appearances in NuWho so I am not overly familiar with the character, but she always struck me as being more of a serious person, but she was quite witty at times in this.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 12:07:52 pm »

That outfit is in now?? Shocked It's a brave woman who tries to pull that off Tongue I actually didn't mind the outfit too much. It sort of suited her character, especially given how much she had mellowed over her time in the show.

Lis Sladen, as always, put in a blinder of a performance throughout this story. She had a great way of mixing emotional and serious and funny and making them all believable and I think it paid off in this story which at times required all three. It's not my favourite story with her as companion, and it's not her most stellar performance ever, but she brings everything that she needs to to the character along with that little bit extra Lis Sladen magic and it all works brilliantly. There are times in some serials where SJ can get a tad grating, but she was spot on in this one.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »

I always liked Sarah Jane, but I don't think she has ever been one of my favourite companions. At times she was brilliant, but for me I have always thought that there were several better companions for various reasons. I do love the younger, more playful Sarah Jane though. She had a good wit and some great one liners. She isnt my favourite but I can certainly understand why she was and is so popular
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 03:01:46 pm »

I always liked Sarah Jane. She was fiesty but playful and I thought LS always played the role brilliantly. It's easy now to see her in amongst all the companions and make comparisons, but I think at the time she only ever needed to be 'not Jo Grant'. There is nothing wrong with Jo, of course, but I think it was more important to make sure that they both had seperate identities so that LS didn't just come in and continue with the same character.

SJS (and TB too) is once again at her best in this story and it is a shame that it was her last.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 02:23:53 pm »

I agree, I think it was important for her to set herself apart from Jo, who in her own right was a very popular companion. In many ways they were very similar, but I think that LS played SJS so brilliantly that it never felt that she came from the same mould, and that is definately credit to the actress
Report Spam   Logged
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 10:05:16 pm »

I love Sarah Jane and I think in this story she really shows why she is so brilliant as a companion. Her loyalty is unending and she is resourceful and quick to think on her feet. She also manages to fill the companion role of falling into danger without ever making it seem like she needs to be continuously rescued, if that makes sense?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: