The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 04:57:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

On Video?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Video?  (Read 162 times)
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« on: July 05, 2011, 02:34:37 pm »

Did anyone manage to get hold of a copy of this on VHS? I remember that when it came out in (I think) '95 or '96, my dad was trying to find it everywhere but couldnt get a copy in any of the shops, then apparantly it got taken out of print two weeks after release and there was some sort of weird 'Hand Of Fear' black market thing going on. My dad ended up getting it from a friend of a friend (Cool) for about £25, but I heard stories much later that people were selling it for upwards of £50-£100 because it was such a rarity.

So did anyone get a copy or know why it was taken off the shelves so quickly?
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:48:43 pm »

No, I've never heard anything about that before.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:43:22 am »

The most common theory is that it was taken out of release so quickly because of the upcoming release of the Movie. Hand Of Fear was the last release before the Movie aired and the more widespread theory is that the BBC expected that the popularity of the Movie would go through the roof and a new series would be picked up straight away, so rather than having people love the movie and then check out old videos with lower production quality, an attempt was made to recall as many of the videos as possible ready for a new wave of merchandise off the back of the moview and new series.

Obviously a series was never commissioned and the popularity of the Movie wasn't what they were expecting so it sort of backfired. That could all be a load of tosh, but its the rumour I have heard the most regarding it.

As for the videos that were bought, I have heard rumours of them selling at really high prices, but I always assumed it was a bit of a myth built out of the fact that it was only available for two weeks. On Ebay and Amazon now they go for standard prices generally, but the DVD is widely available now so that could be why.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:15:35 pm »

If that was the case then surely the BBC were shooting themselves in the foot. If the Movie had taken off then surely it would have made more sense to have a ready built merchandise catalogue. It can't say much for their faith in the show if they thought that people watching the classic series would dislike it so much that they would give up on anything new that was produced.
Report Spam   Logged
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:03:27 pm »

The money thing could just be a myth or rumour because of the rarity. Even now people still say that 'lost' episodes are passing hands for extortionate prices, though nothing has ever been proven. It's mostly just hearsay I would assume
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:24:47 am »

You've intrigued me now, I am going to go through my collection 2moz... else buy one off Ebay Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: