The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 08:57:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Repainting the Cistine Chapel

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repainting the Cistine Chapel  (Read 775 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: August 30, 2010, 05:56:11 pm »

It is true to say that a lot of early Dr Who was marred by poor production values, cheap sets and episodes getting taped over. I wonder what it would be like to take some of those early stories and remake them with a modern twist. I wonder, how good would The Web of Fear look with a bit of script editing, Matt Smith as the Doc, the Mill's effects and Murray Gold's brilliant music? Its just a thought and alternatively you might be tempted to argue that we have the best young crop of British writers that this proud nation has ever seen and that we should not look backwards. I serve only to open the debate...
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 07:36:40 pm »

Some of the classic stories are the best imo. Though the only ones I would like to see remade (and that is even at a push) would be the lost serials.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:49:54 pm »

I think that is actually how my thoughts on this first started. I would love to see Power of the Daleks and Evil of the Daleks again (were they both written by David Whittaker?)
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:02:08 am »

OMG I would love to see some of the old stories remade. Especially some of the lost ones. I havent seen a lot of classic series, but there is something about the lost episodes that makes me want to watch them more than others. Probably because I know I cant
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:38:13 am »

Some of the classic stories are the best imo. Though the only ones I would like to see remade (and that is even at a push) would be the lost serials.

Yes, I quite agree. While seeing how the classics would translate to a modern audience would be great, I think remaking existing serials would seem disrespectful somehow. On the flipside, I think it would be quite respectful and a nice nod to the classics if one of the lost serials were to be remade. Perhaps thats just my twisted logic though
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:01:31 pm »

I like how they've adapted some of the novels for the TV series, that'll do me.

Still holding out hope for some kind of multi-Doc story though, even if they do it in a Zagreus kind of way.
Report Spam   Logged

BeeSC
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: 10th
Favourite Companion: Rose/Donna

I'm Not Mean. I'm Just Not Very Nice ™

View Profile
Search Level 4 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 06:40:45 pm »

I feel like it wouldn't be right. If they did remake some of them with Matt. Somehow the whole series would be out of sync. But that's just my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 07:01:42 pm »

I feel like it wouldn't be right. If they did remake some of them with Matt. Somehow the whole series would be out of sync. But that's just my opinion.

To be honest it is a bit of an ill formed idea of mine based on discussions I had in the pub with friends. I am not entirely sure how I would feel either. I suppose it feeds into the canon discussion as well - this would seriously screw with canon (and for that reason alone I find myself warming to the idea).

I also wonder how it would work if some form of CGI magicfulness was used (in a Trouble with Tribbles stylee) to utilise episodes of lost stories. Like I say, I am not convinced myself - but it was partly the success of the Big Finish production of Shada and partly watching Never Say Never Again which got me thinking if there was any way to revive the work of the brilliant writers whose stories are seemingly lost forever.
Report Spam   Logged

BeeSC
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: 10th
Favourite Companion: Rose/Donna

I'm Not Mean. I'm Just Not Very Nice ™

View Profile
Search Level 4 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 07:26:00 pm »

To be honest it is a bit of an ill formed idea of mine based on discussions I had in the pub with friends. I am not entirely sure how I would feel either. I suppose it feeds into the canon discussion as well - this would seriously screw with canon (and for that reason alone I find myself warming to the idea).

I also wonder how it would work if some form of CGI magicfulness was used (in a Trouble with Tribbles stylee) to utilise episodes of lost stories. Like I say, I am not convinced myself - but it was partly the success of the Big Finish production of Shada and partly watching Never Say Never Again which got me thinking if there was any way to revive the work of the brilliant writers whose stories are seemingly lost forever.
I see where your coming from and yeah new effects would be good in the old series. Renewing them and whatnot, giving them a facelift. It would be interesting how they would go about that. If they wanted to do something like that.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 08:28:27 pm »

I see where your coming from and yeah new effects would be good in the old series. Renewing them and whatnot, giving them a facelift. It would be interesting how they would go about that. If they wanted to do something like that.

It might be an utterly pointless exercise (hence my choice of title for the topic) but I just wonder if an episode like 'Trouble with Tribbles' might be successful in Who? [I'm sure most know but Trouble with Tribbles is an episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine which involved Sisko et al going back to Kirk's Enterprise - please feel free to abuse me for stating the obvious lol]
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 09:38:02 pm »

It might be an utterly pointless exercise (hence my choice of title for the topic) but I just wonder if an episode like 'Trouble with Tribbles' might be successful in Who? [I'm sure most know but Trouble with Tribbles is an episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine which involved Sisko et al going back to Kirk's Enterprise - please feel free to abuse me for stating the obvious lol]

Trials and Tribble-ations was the DS9 ep, Trouble with Tribbles was the Original Series episode - now abuse me for correcting you (sorry I used to be a teacher!!!)
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 09:40:16 pm »

Trials and Tribble-ations was the DS9 ep, Trouble with Tribbles was the Original Series episode - now abuse me for correcting you (sorry I used to be a teacher!!!)

Absolutely no abuse at all forthcoming - I should be smited for such a school boy error Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 09:43:22 pm »

Im just going to pull up a chair and baske in the geek Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 09:46:58 pm »

Hey, these things matter! I feel slightly ashamed but Poprockgeek dealt with it with her usual good grace and charm Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 09:52:45 pm »

Hey, these things matter! I feel slightly ashamed but Poprockgeek dealt with it with her usual good grace and charm Smiley

Glad you took it that way - it's one of my annoying habits. I try not to do it too often but some things have to be done!!!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 09:58:14 pm »

There are hundreds of things I am that geeky over, though Trek isnt one of them. It was nice to be the mocker for a change Tongue All in good jest though Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 10:11:16 pm »

There are hundreds of things I am that geeky over, though Trek isnt one of them. It was nice to be the mocker for a change Tongue All in good jest though Cheesy

I don't mind I'm used to it - part & parcel of being a geek!!!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 10:15:37 pm »

I don't mind I'm used to it - part & parcel of being a geek!!!  Cheesy

Exactly - us geeks are made of strong stuff Wink I do genuinely wonder though how a Trials and Tribble-ations episode would work with MS & (perhaps) a Jon Pertwee episode (I think it needs to be colour one though perhaps an inventive writer could make a b/w episode work - in which case bring on the Troughton classics)
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 10:18:00 pm »

What is this episode you speak of? Do you have a general plot outline so I can try and make sense of all this? Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 10:48:30 pm »

What is this episode you speak of? Do you have a general plot outline so I can try and make sense of all this? Cheesy

I was thinking, for example, that the Doctor travels back to 1960s London - and due to some wibbly wobbly timey wimey TARDIS malfunction the Doctor crosses his own time line and arrives to witness the Great intelligence take over london at the same time that Doc 2 is trying to help the army defeat the Yeti. Unbeknownst to Doc 2 there is another alien force trying to assist the great intelligence and Doc 11 must help defeat it.

This is taken off the top of my head in 2 mins so I am sure a capable writer given a few months could come up with something much better. But instead of an orthodox multi-doctor story for the 50th anniversary - why not try some clever CGI magic to weave the generations together?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: