The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 08:40:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Amy Appreciation

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amy Appreciation  (Read 618 times)
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:07:24 pm »

Ok, seeing as a dislike for Amy post has started up since I was last on the forum, I decided that maybe I should start a topic for those who like Amy...

So why do you like Amy?

I'll get the ball rolling....
I just find it hillarious the way that she corrects and challenges the Doctor, and I love the way that she herself is expolring the new 11th Doctor with the viewers  Smiley Ok, call me "hairest"! But I love the fact that she is ginger!  Grin Sticking up for us gingers  Smiley erm, and quite a few more reasons that I'll add at some point...

So why do we like Amy?
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:05:05 pm »

I like Amy because she has changed as a result of meeting the Doctor, from the little girl who trusted that he would come back, to becoming a tougher and more defensive person since she was conflicted over whether he would be there again.  When she finally saw him again, she was reluctant to trust him after he left for so many years.  She had a harder time relating to people who stayed with her, even Rory, because they couldn't fulfill the expectations she had of the Doctor. 

I could relate to Amy after all the experiences I had as a Doctor Who fan and a roleplayer. I discovered Doctor Who when it wasn't in production and not as many people were familiar with the Doctor; later on I jumped into the fan writing arena and had a lot to learn there as well.  Amy made fan-art of the Doctor and pretended she was traveling with him- "the girl who waited" for him to come back.  So when he came back for her, she was determined to make the most of this experience.  Being new to traveling, she made some mistakes along the way.  But she ultimately emerged having a stronger relationship with Rory and being able to share the experience of traveling through time and space with him and the Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 01:58:55 pm »

I love Amy. Series 5 is the only one I have seen so I dont have a lot to compare her too, but I think she is great. She is feisty and holds her own against the men in the group and doesnt let people mess her around. Her story from being a young girl first meeting the Doctor to finally being grown up and travelling with him was such a lovely arc. Why she bothers with Rory though is anyones guess. He is like a wet weekend.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:04:07 am »

I think Amy gets far more stick than is really needed. She is a strong and complex character who has obviously had somewhat of a traumatic childhood. There was a nice development between her first episode and the finale where we saw her soften as a character, yet retain the courage and head strong-ness (im sure there is a better word for this) that made her stand out in the first place
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:27:14 pm »

I cant say I have really seen that much negativity towards her. Ive seen a bit on here referencing it elsewhere, but on the whole most of what I have read has been positive. I think she is awesome and I hope she stays for a while yet
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 03:08:10 pm »

I have to admit to having some problems with her while watching S5, mainly how awful sshe was a role model in the way she treated Rory.  Chibnall and Whithouse in particular I feel didn't get her character and presented her in a more negative light.  But the finale really did a long way into explaining why she is the way she is.  She had a pretty fecked up childhood, a lot of her potential warmth and caring was removed from her life by the cracks which was replaced with a fantasy/imaginary friend type world.

Now that she has this duel memory I think we will see some changes in her.  Before she was a strong woman who couldn't bring herself to really rely on anyone because they always abandoned her in ways she couldn't control.  Having her parents around her as she grew up in one 'memory' and having Rory protect her for 2000 years in the other should make a huge difference to her as she now knows that there are people who will always be there for her Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 07:46:47 pm »

I think her acting was a product of the writing. If you arent given a decent bit of writing then there isnt much you can do. She got stick for being pouty, shouty and glary but if thats what it called for in the scripts, which I imagine it did, then you cant really blame her for that. I agree with Sandi's comments above though about the potential her character has now. I think given some better material then Karen Gillan will shine. Lets face it, the characterisation throughout series 5 wasnt the best piece of writing
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 08:36:41 pm »

I agree. I love Amy and I think there is soooo much more they can do with the character
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 02:28:13 pm »

Karen Gillen is 23 today. Happy Birthday to her Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 03:17:26 pm »

Karen Gillen is 23 today. Happy Birthday to her Smiley

Happy 23rd Birthday to Karen Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
PandoricaPond
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten/Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 01:26:49 pm »

I feel like I should make an 'undecided about Amy' thread because I think my likes and dislikes about her are pretty much equal. There's only really one thing that's weighing heavy on the like side and that's more Karen then Amy. (She's hot lol). I like that she had that strength about her, she didn't take crap from the Doctor. She also had that soft side and really loved Rory. However, she was made out to be a massive... I don't like this word but ****. The writers faults I know but I hated the fact she always wanted the Doctor to kiss her. Just after she told him she was engaged and then at the wedding itself... /twice/! The writers need to make her less... you know... in the next series otherwise I'm gonna end up in the 'dislike for Amy' thread. Sad
Report Spam   Logged

#Doctor: Amy was frightened. I was frightened. But we survived, you know, and the relief of it... And so she kissed me. #Rory: And you kissed her back. #Doctor: No, I kissed her mouth. #Rory: Funny.

#Companions; DOCTOR!!!

#Doctor: RUN!!!

#Doctor: Bowties are cool.

#Doctor: Fezzes are cool
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 06:38:15 pm »

I feel like I should make an 'undecided about Amy' thread because I think my likes and dislikes about her are pretty much equal. There's only really one thing that's weighing heavy on the like side and that's more Karen then Amy. (She's hot lol). I like that she had that strength about her, she didn't take crap from the Doctor. She also had that soft side and really loved Rory. However, she was made out to be a massive... I don't like this word but ****. The writers faults I know but I hated the fact she always wanted the Doctor to kiss her. Just after she told him she was engaged and then at the wedding itself... /twice/! The writers need to make her less... you know... in the next series otherwise I'm gonna end up in the 'dislike for Amy' thread. Sad

I think there will be a big change for her character in the upcoming series. She really started mellowing towards the end of series 5
Report Spam   Logged

PandoricaPond
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 08:18:23 pm »

I hope so. Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

#Doctor: Amy was frightened. I was frightened. But we survived, you know, and the relief of it... And so she kissed me. #Rory: And you kissed her back. #Doctor: No, I kissed her mouth. #Rory: Funny.

#Companions; DOCTOR!!!

Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 11:48:05 pm »

Her personality and character attributes aside, have you seen the legs on that woman? They go for miles. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
PandoricaPond
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 11:43:01 am »

Her personality and character attributes aside, have you seen the legs on that woman? They go for miles. Tongue

Oh boy! Those /legs/ are... Just wow. Karen is just... *Swoons*

Wait, off topic. Amy. Yeah. *Coughs*
Report Spam   Logged

#Companions; DOCTOR!!!

missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 05:49:04 pm »

Oh i just LOVE her. I love her so much that she has officially become my favourite female companion. Im starting to dress like her and everything, e.g big jumper, converse and shorts, huh like what im wearing right now haha. Shes just a legend, proving that ginger people are cool and not to be messed with, incredible!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 05:04:58 pm »

It's so nice to have her back on screen and its brilliant that they have started to show even more sides to her personality. Hopefully people will stop laying into her now.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 10:05:09 am »

I'm certainly warming to her a whole lot more. She will never reach the dizzying heights of awesomeness that Donna did, but I quite like the character and if Saturdays episode is anything to go by then Karen is certainly upping her game on the acting front.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
sailorjerry
Hatchling

Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
Level 1 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 10:14:34 pm »

aaaaaaaalll the way up to her ass.

And her acting is good too. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 08:49:55 am »

I was never a big fan - she tried to 'do' attitude and it just came across as obnoxious. She tried to 'do' confidence and it just came across as heavy handed 'look at me aren't I hot'....

...until I saw The Impossible Astronaut. I thought that was her best performance by a country mile - she was sassy and confident but that unpleasant edge has gone. As I said elsewhere, I don't think it is any coincidence that this was an episode where she was not objectified or oogled or put in a short skirt. Instead she integrated well within the crew, she showed determination and loyalty to both the Doc and Rory. It was such a pleasure to see. If this is how Amy is to develop across the season then I think it is a most welcome development Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: