The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 12:08:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Caves of Androzani - The Fifth Doctor

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Caves of Androzani - The Fifth Doctor  (Read 1548 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:40:24 am »

I swear to god, give me half the chance and I will rave on about this story all day long. What a corker. The story is epic and Peter Davison acts his socks off before he bows out. Peri is as awesome as ever and Sharaz Jek was a great antagonist. I remember reading a while back that Peter Davison said if there had been more stories like this he would have done another year as the Doctor, and that this is his favourite. If you havent seen it, then you simply must. Its a perfect little serial.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 01:29:42 pm »

I have heard such good things about this one, but i have never seen it. I will have to make a point to see it soon
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 03:25:45 pm »

In my humble opinion, this is the greatest of all Classic Who. Written by the magnificent Robert Holmes (if you're not familiar with Classic Who stuff, Bob Holmes and Terrance Dicks wrote a lot of the episodes - both had a very definite style, Holmes introduced gothic horror themes) and directed by Graeme Harper who gets it going at a brilliant lick. It is a wonderful and tragic piece which builds up into a climax that struggles to be beaten. The last episode seems to just evaporate it goes by so quickly. Excellent locations and beautifully poignant and atmospheric music add up to provide an unbelievable piece of science fiction. Amazingly, for a regeneration episode, you need never have seen any DW to appreciate how sensational this is. I defy anyone to find me a better episode (Mmmmm, Genesis of the Daleks was pretty good though...)
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 03:35:07 pm »

Yea this one is a definate winner. Its not my favourite, but it sure is high up there. It was voted the best Doctor Who story of all time last year. Obviously its been taken over by The Lodger since though Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:55:46 pm »

I am staring at the DVD of Genesis of the Daleks. I can't look at it. I feel guilty, so so guilty. Why did I do this; the Caves of Androzani with its tight plot line and its low-cut regeneration has lured me away from Gen (its my little pet name for Genesis of the Daleks). Call the News of the Screws...
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 04:39:02 pm »

'Gen' is amazing, but I think this one is the better of the two. I agree with everything you put in your first post too. Youre much more articulate than I Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 12:07:36 am »

'Gen' is amazing, but I think this one is the better of the two. I agree with everything you put in your first post too. Youre much more articulate than I Smiley

I talk too much and get carried away .. You want to read my thoughts on the Xmas Specials - i really must learn to shut up Smiley but while I thank you for saying such a nice thing, I think it was you who hit the nail on the head in your OP Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 12:14:09 am »

Jeez, would you two get a cave?

Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 12:19:46 am »

There was one spare but Morgus and Jek were putting up shelves and arguing about who makes the Spectrox. The others had mud leaks!
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 11:21:28 am »

Grin

Perhaps we will both have to agree to a mutual greatness Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 04:36:30 pm »

I have just picked myself up The 'Revisitations' Box set, which has Talons of Weng Chiang (brilliant but a little over-hyped IMHO) and the Doctor Who Movie (I swear its been 15 years and I've seen it 1000 times and I still can't make my mind up about it). But there is also the re-mastered Caves on there. I've seen a couple of posts asking for recommendations for Classic Who entry points and I think, if you are new to the joys of Doctor Who and have heard us rabbiting on about the classic series, the Revisitations box set is an ideal place to start. You get three very different iterations of the Doctor but on the spirit of the show is still there. As you will see from the posts above, The Caves, in many knowledgeable fans opinion (and mine as well) is the best Classic Who story of all time and would, I suspect be in most Classic Fans 'Top 3'. The extras are absolutely tops and I know that Asda are knocking them out for £25.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 04:42:57 pm »

I wrote about this set on the site a while back and was going to put it in the DVD section a few days ago but didnt think there would be much notice taken since the stories are three very different ones. I have it, but it is currently in my 'watch sometime soon' pile along with countless others. Im finding myself with a serious back catalogue at the moment. Especially as I am getting the 'Not bloody Doctor Who again' looks a lot lately

If you fancy doing a bit of a write up type post in the DVD section Chris, please feel free Cheesy (serisously, please Tongue )
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 12:07:23 pm »

My cousin is coming over for wine and nibbles tonight. She is a crazy Who fan like me and is bringing some DVDs, this included, and I will be getting my first ever watch. It seems to be the classic that most people rave about on here the most so I am really quite excited.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 01:25:41 pm »

My cousin is coming over for wine and nibbles tonight. She is a crazy Who fan like me and is bringing some DVDs, this included, and I will be getting my first ever watch. It seems to be the classic that most people rave about on here the most so I am really quite excited.

I promise, you'll not be disappointed. I have watched Who for more years than I care to remember and this is my absolute favourite story, written by my absolute favourite writer!
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 06:35:34 pm »

It really is a gem of a story. Classic Who at its best. You will have to come on and tell us all about it Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 09:58:14 pm »

I think I am going to have to dig into this one again. All the talk is making me want to give it another watch. Its not my favourite I admit, but it really is a great story.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 10:23:17 pm »

I think I am going to have to dig into this one again. All the talk is making me want to give it another watch. Its not my favourite I admit, but it really is a great story.

I think its the tragedy of it all and the brilliance of the acting. Davison was absolutely imperious - you really saw the power and the age of his Doctor. He was every inch the magnificent time lord.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »

Its a shame that it is his last story, but at the same time thats kind of what makes it so good if you get me
Report Spam   Logged

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 01:08:57 am »

Grumpy old me here!  I think caves is hugely overrated, I like it, but don't think it's even on the same sheet as Pyramids of Mars in unadulterated fun.  I am basing my opinions on rewatches, when I was a child I loved the fifth Doctor, but on rewatch I find his episodes the least rewarding, they made an error in casting an already famous actor to replace Tom IMHO, an error that they haven't copied with the casting of Matt Smith recently.  I find a lot of JNT reign sterile and unengaging, and the Davison years sum this up for me.  I wish I could see what others seein his performance but I just don't, he's good in Caves but it's too late, if you get me?
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 12:16:33 pm »

Oh My God!!!

Im not a massive follower of the classic series but I watched this story last night and I think it might be my favourite ever. And thats including the new stuff. There wasnt a moment when I was waiting for something to happen. The story moved along with a great pace and the acting from everyone involved was top notch. By the end of it I was just sat with my mouth open. Its easily one of the best Who stories I have seen written and it has inspired me to watch more. For the whole four episodes, despite the length, I was never feeling like it dragged on or was using filler to move the story along. So impressed with this story. Was a nice touch with the companions at the end too. Also couldnt stop laughing at Peri's boobs just as he was about to regenerate. Talk about getting in the way Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: