The Doctor In The TARDIS
January 17, 2018, 11:56:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Speculation about Susan

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speculation about Susan  (Read 331 times)
Jamdog
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Richard E Grant
Favourite Companion: Astrid Peth

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: July 10, 2011, 11:57:14 pm »

Was just having a bit of a think and Susan Foreman's lineage, and suddenly, the thought came to me...

Maybe River Song is Susan's grandmother...!

This assumes that the Doctor marries River Song, and they have kids, but where are those kids when she dies in the library, and while she is in Stormcage?

Alternatively, maybe 'Jenny' is Susan's mum

Just wanted to see if anyone else had thought of these ideas, and I know both ideas are probably wrong, but does anyone have any alternate theories.

It also seems that according to folklore, Susan was the granddaughter of 'The Other', the third founder of modern Gallifrey, and the The Doctor was the reincarnation of The Other, and so Susan recognised him as her grandfather.  The Other met his demise by throwing himself into the Loom (from which all modern Gallifreyans are 'woven' and born), thereby scattering his DNA into it's genetic pool.  This could lead to The Doctor gaining a portion of that DNA when being woven, and therefore being seen by Susan as a reincarnation.  The Doctor accepted Susan as his grand-daughter and took her away from Gallifrey.

Some people accept the above folklore as canon, but I suspect RTD and The Moff don't, so maybe we will see another explanation in the future?
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:49:33 am »

The Doctor has specifically said that he's had children (Fear Her & The Doctor's Daughter, I believe) so that makes the straightforward granddaughter explanation more likely.

I don't really believe River's the Doctor's wife, though.  Anyway, the references above were before he'd met River in his timeline.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:11:11 pm »

I really don't go in for all this looms business Angry

Anyway, the way I see it is that Gallifrey is locked and River/Melody was born after the time war. For this to all lead to Susan being their grandaughter they would somehow need to unlock Gallifrey and go back to centuries before the Time War to have her grow up there before going off with the First Doctor. Nice and timey wimey from a Moff POV, but unlikely I reckon
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:30:11 pm »

I honestly had never heard about the 'Looms' before. It sounds a nice enough idea and as a **** fan I love it. My only fear is that it would make the show a little inaccessible for the casual viewer and I'm not sure that's a route the Moff would want to take (though some would argue having six almost totally interlinked episodes has achieved that already lol).

Nice lateral thinking JamDog - you'd be my kind of Showrunner Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 11:59:31 am »

As much as Moff likes to play with the timey wimey, I honestly don't think he would rewrite so much of the past. I know that we don't really know much about Susans parents and the Doctors family, but I don't think it had anything to do with River or Jenny. Perhaps if they wanted to in a story they could make some implications, like what RTD did with the woman in white/Doctors mother, but just not say it outright so that fans could still make their own conclusions.

My own thoughts are that the Doctor had a family and children or whatever before he went off travelling but that we will never really find out about them in the show because it's all part of his mystery. That said though, if he was a husband and father, it doesn't say much for him just up and running from them. The Gallifreyan CSA can't be happy about that Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: