The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 09:07:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Twin Dilemma

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 1 (8.3%)
4/5 - Really Good - 1 (8.3%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 3 (25%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 4 (33.3%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 3 (25%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Twin Dilemma  (Read 416 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: July 16, 2011, 10:07:13 pm »

A race of giant Gastropods has taken over the planet Jaconda. Their leader, Mestor, now intends to cause an enormous explosion in order to spread his people's eggs throughout the galaxy, and he kidnaps juvenile twin geniuses from Earth to work out the necessary mathematical equations. Space fighters led by Lieutenant Hugo Lang are dispatched to get the twins back, but they soon come under attack...

Meanwhile, a newly regenerated Doctor and Peri become involved and help Jaconda's elderly former ruler Professor Edgeworth to defeat Mestor and free the planet's bird-like indigenous people from the gastropods' reign of terror.

The Twin Dilemma was the seventh and final story of Season 21. It was the first full story to feature Colin Baker as the Sixth Doctor. It was also the last story to feature half-hour episodes until Season 23.

The next story will be revealed on Saturday 23rd July
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 10:18:05 pm »

It's open a little earlier this week. Enjoy Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:27:57 pm »

Hmm ... not heard great things about this one. Still I shall endeavour to give it a fair go  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:30:32 pm »

It isn't the greatest, but it is still worth watching, especially if you have never seen it. Everyone should experience it at least once. Chris is a big fan of this one so he should be able to provide the positive spin
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 11:24:36 am »

Damn it!

Oh well I suppose it is time this one got a rewatch. I am sort of excited though to have an in depth look at how people feel about it rather than it just being slated in passing. I shall watch later today or tomorrow Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 04:36:25 pm »

I've watched the first half, and my opinion hasn't improved so far.  I'll wait till I've finished, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:55:26 pm »

Well the run of great stories had to end sooner or later Tongue

I actually don't mind this story too much. I'll try get a rewatch in later today Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 07:50:08 pm »

I am not a big fan of this story, but I can sort of appreciate what it was trying to do. Taking the Doctor in a whole new direction so quickly was a huge mistake, especially for his first story at the end of a season, but I suppose credit should be given for trying. The problem was that they made him really unlikeable and then gave the audience a year to dwell on that. If they had launched a series with this story and then developed the Doctor over the course of the rest of the season it may have been better received. I really like the Sixth Doctor, but they wrote him dreadfully in the beginning.

The story itself though is awful. Terrible writing coupled with some of the worst guest stars ever mean that this is often a chore to watch for me. Peri, for me, is always great (and her boots in this story are awesome) and as I said I do think credit should be given for what they were attempting, so for those reasons, despite its many, many faults, I gave this a 2.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »

I actually don't mind it too much. I used to hate it but it grows on me whenever I watch. The story isn't so bad, its just badly executed and some of the actors, particularly the twins, are jaw droppingly awful. I'm not at all keen on the Doctor here, but as PP said I sort of get what they were trying to do. I just don't think it worked. Instead of being subtle they threw it at us and it wasn't a good decision. I'm giving it a three though
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:25:37 pm »

I have given it a 4. I possibly got a bit ahead of myself and over scored it, but while I don't love the story, it is not as bad as many people would try to make out. For me, the biggest drawback is the Twins. They are pretty awful, and a lot of the sets look like something from the Krypton Factor with too many colours and shapes, but the bones of the story isn't a bad one and Colin Baker, whatever you think of his Doctor, puts in a good performance, as does Nicola Bryant. Not a favourite, but better than a lot of others that get far higher praise.
Report Spam   Logged
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 03:55:43 pm »

I suppose this one had to come along sooner or later. I'll get a watch in asap, but I already know I won't be rating it very highly
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 05:10:35 pm »

Ok, I will try to make this as constructive as possible Smiley

The overall story could have been potentially quite good, although it was nothing new or groundbreaking, I suppose they needed something easy and light to introduce the Doctor. I wasn't keen on the characterisation of the Doctor, though I thought Colin Baker played him well. Peri was good, though she had a bit of a tendancy to sound a bit whiney. The guy with the monobrow, I forget his name, he had definate companion potential, so why they didn't go with that seems odd to me. The twins were awful, but they must have only been about 14 and we have had worse child actors, though there is no reason why we ever should with the wealth of talent out there. The owl/slug looking monster wasn't very good and his voice didn't match how he looked which was sort of offputting when you watch.

There are some good elements to this, but they are far outweighed by the bad and so I give this a 2.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:35:53 am »

I gave this a 2.  The plusses were the performances of Colin Baker (whatever I might think of the way the character was written), Nicola Bryant and Maurice Denham, and the idea of taking the Doctor's regeneration to an uncomfortable place.  The minusses were a confused and implausible story, which had virtually no context, some extremely dodgy science, mediocre to poor performances from most of the rest, and a real miscalculation about the Doctor's character.  I don't mind him being obnoxious, I don't even mind him strangling Peri while he doesn't know what he's doing, but I don't buy that he's a snivelling coward who tries to blame everyone else.  That was so out of character I just can't accept it.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 09:48:27 am »

Well either everyone is just being nice or this story is seriously underrated amongst fandom, because we haven't got a 1 yet *touch wood*
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 11:04:46 am »

Sorry PP, but I had to spoil the trend. I went for a one.

I always go in with a clear head and don't let the hype of a story, good or bad, affect my judgement, but this was such a poor effort that I just couldn't rate it any higher. The story was barely there and that slug thing was dreadful. Some of the acting was amongst the worst I have seen on the show and I thought the Doctor was written really badly. I'm trying to think of positives, but nothing is coming to mind. Peri was ok I guess.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 11:08:54 am »

Well it had to happen sooner or later I guess Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 11:10:33 am »

I suspect I wont be the last lol
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 11:10:59 am »

Probably not
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 02:48:06 pm »

I went with a two. Yes fair enough it isn't great, but it was nowhere near as bad as it had been painted to be. I'm new to DW, and even newer to the classics, but even I have seen worst stories than this.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 04:53:23 pm »

Ok I gave it a fair view, leaving all that I'd heard to one side, & you know what I actually didn't find it all that bad. Yes there are better stories, but I've seen worse. I usually judge programmes bad if I start sitting there wondering how much longer it has to go, or why I've wasted my time on it, or if I begin contemplating reaching for the off switch - none of these things happened. Yes it wasn't perfect, but it kept me entertained & I wanted to see how it ended. I'm going with a 3.

Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: