The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 08:04:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Advice please

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 241 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: September 11, 2010, 02:13:09 pm »

I have read a few things about this show, but I havent read many things about whether it is any good. I know there is a new series starting soon, at least I think it is, and after the way I fell in love with Doctor Who this summer I would really love to check it out but I have some questions. Is it worth it for example? I heard the Doctor isnt in it at all, so is it like, completely different to Doctor Who or are they along similar lines? And do I need to watch all of Doctor Who to understand it, because I read that the main guy in it used to be in Doctor Who. Is that right or have I got that confused?

Coming to a Doctor Who forum and asking all these questions makes me feel like I have been living under a rock. Im trying to get to know it all though Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:00:40 pm »

There are mentions of Doctor Who in Torchwood, but off the top of my head I dont think there is anything major in there that wouldnt make sense if you havent watched both. As the show goes on there are a couple of crossovers for characters, but nothing that isnt easy enough to catch up on that would confuse the casual viewer. As each series of TW progresses, it seems to drift more away from Doctor Who and become more of its own entity in its own right, so you shouldnt have any issues there and I would deffinately reccomend you watch. I will leave it up to others to outline the show and their favourite episodes and whatnot though Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 03:35:04 pm »

I have read a few things about this show, but I havent read many things about whether it is any good. I know there is a new series starting soon, at least I think it is, and after the way I fell in love with Doctor Who this summer I would really love to check it out but I have some questions. Is it worth it for example? I heard the Doctor isnt in it at all, so is it like, completely different to Doctor Who or are they along similar lines? And do I need to watch all of Doctor Who to understand it, because I read that the main guy in it used to be in Doctor Who. Is that right or have I got that confused?

Coming to a Doctor Who forum and asking all these questions makes me feel like I have been living under a rock. Im trying to get to know it all though Smiley

Welcome to the Wonderful world of Who Smiley It has been my lifelong companion for over 30 years and I hope you enjoy every second of it. I am really jealous of you - I would love to hit the reset switch and forget every Dr Who i've ever seen so I could watch them all afresh Smiley

Torchwood (TW) was designed as a spin off where more 'adult' themes could be explored. Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who used by the production staff on the return of the series in 2005 to stop people peeking at preview episodes but the name stuck and it became a theme running through season 2 (David Tennant's first season).

As usual, The Doc is right on the money, TW does drift further away from DW as it progresses and by season 3 it is extremely dark. It is well worth having a look at if you liked X Files - it has the feel of a British X Files (but that is quite a crude comparator). And no prior knowledge is really needed Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 03:42:32 pm »

I'd recommend watching the Ninth Doctor episods featuring Torchwood characters first, just so you know a bit about who they are (Tosh's appearance in Aliens of London/World War Three is very brief, but gets a mention in a TW episode). At the very least watch Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways first as the first Torchwood episode spoils a moment from that. Also, in S2 someone from DW makes an appearance, but I'm sure you'll be caught up by then :-)
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 05:12:37 pm »

Thanks guys. Ive got season 1 of Doctor Who on order so I should be able to catch up with bits before I get stuck into Torchwood. I'm really quite excited. Be interesting to see what you mean by 'adult themes'. Is there sex in it or something?

I realise I could just go to wikipedia or something, but asking on here is more fun. Well, for me anyways Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 05:23:23 pm »

Sex, swearing, bits of nudity etc. Pretty much all on there Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 05:25:34 pm »

Oh right! Quite a departure then lol
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 05:26:13 pm »

Yea just a little. It's still great though and gets better with each series
Report Spam   Logged

Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 06:24:33 pm »

First season, especially the first couple of episodes, you'll notice a LOT of swearing. It doesn't stay that way throughout, and there's at least one major character who never swears.

As for sex, yes there is quite a lot! Again though, it's much more in early episodes.
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 11:48:21 am »

Thanks for all your help everyone. I am going to bite the bullet and get the first season. Would it be ok to maybe start threads in here for the episodes? That way when I watch them I can post and chat about them. Its ok if not though
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 11:56:16 am »

Of course that's ok - I'm going to be watching series 1 again soon myself so chatting each one through could be good. For the record I've only seen series 1 & I watched it having seen only series 2 & 5 of Doctor Who as basically that's what I had on demand on my cable box. I've bought the complete box set though & can't wait to get stuck into it  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 12:01:11 pm »

Oh great. At least I wont be the only one who doesnt know everything then Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 04:03:31 pm »

It really is worth watching. All three series are great, but for very, very different reasons
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 04:23:32 pm »

Yes, watch this. You must. Children of Earth made me seriously question whether this was maybe better than even Doctor Who. Unfair comparison though really.

[spoiler]They should have kept Suzie though, even as a recurring baddie would have been awesome.[/spoiler]

Thats kinda a spoiler, sorry Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 04:26:06 pm »

I wrapped it in tags, incase Tardis Console wants to remain spoiler free Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: