The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 11:24:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Twin Dilemma

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 1 (8.3%)
4/5 - Really Good - 1 (8.3%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 3 (25%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 4 (33.3%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 3 (25%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Twin Dilemma  (Read 412 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 05:18:16 pm »

I went with a 1. It wasn't all bad, and most of the things it is most commonly ridiculed for didn't bother me much, but I just am not too keen on the story or the acting or the villian or the sets and most other things
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 11:07:39 am »

Hmmmmm. You are all wrong. This is a brilliant story. Actually - the problem is, you are not all wrong. This is a story with many flaws in it. But I also think that this is a lot better than people give it credit for (you can't seriously tell me that this is worse than The Kings Demon's or The Horns of Nimon or The Happiness Patrol?). Nyki (as always) provides the answer as to why this story is so badly received. No one wants to see their heroes as cowardly bullies. Yet for much of the story that is what Baker would have us believe the Doctor has regenerated in to. He light years away from the pleasant, gentle portrayal of the Doctor that Davison had provided. But by Episode Four he is back to his imperious best. When portraying anger and for the sheer radiation of power, you couldn't go far wrong with Colin Baker!

Yet the story isn't a bad one. A rogue time lord trying to save his people by assisting a giant gastropod! What more do you people want!!?Huh?!! Then look at the cast list - yes we might have baulked at the sight of Sinclair ZX Spectrum effects when Womulus and Weemus play equations but what a guest cast. Maurice Denham? Kevin McNally? Edwin Richfield? That bloke off Genesis of the Daleks? That woman who says "May my bones rot" - It was a brilliant supporting cast!

As Peri-Peri has put in another post, this story comes hot on the heels of one of (if not the actual) greatest Doctor Who adventures of either the classic or new genre. Any episode would suffer by comparison to the Caves of Androzani. Additionally, much of the perception is coloured by that fact that this was placed not, as is traditional, at the beginning of a run of stories, but right at the end of the season. So we had a long time to contemplate the awfulness of the Doctor in this episode without seeing any of his brilliance that we would witness in Attack of the Cybermen or Vengeance on Varos.

In the case of this story, love is blind. I am not ignorant to the weaknesses of the stories, I just don't care about them. This is a story of change, of the shock that companions and the audience alike must feel when their beloved hero regenerates. It was poorly funded (the budget clearly having been spent in Androzani), the script was lumpy for lots of the show and the decision to have the Doctor as a cowardly bully for so long throughout the story (and at the end of the season) was badly misjudged. So yes, they got some things wrong (i.e. most of the science) but they also had some moments of brilliance (the escape from the self destructing base, the banter between Lang, the Doctor and Peri, the concept of mathematical twins, the fact that for all of the summer of 1984 I could phone up my best friend and go "Eddddgewoooorth" a la Mestor!).

I gave it 5 - and not to be different but just because I am so very fond of this deeply unloved and misunderstood story.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 09:35:31 pm »

1 from me, but had the option for 0 been there, I think I would have taken it. There is so little in this story worth liking and it is one of the few stories I find an absolute chore to watch.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 09:55:19 pm »

Hmmmmm. You are all wrong. This is a brilliant story.

I have been waiting for you to come in and spread your love for the story. Someone needs to champion this one Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: