The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 07:01:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Sixth Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sixth Doctor  (Read 254 times)
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:03:11 pm »

What does everyone think of the Sixth Doctor then?

I liked him. Not a popular opinion in general, but I think he gets way too much stick and far more than is deserved. He wasn't particularly great in this story, but over the course of his run he becomes quite a brilliant incarnation.

One thing I will say is that like him or not, Colin Baker always did and still does give 100% to the franchise and always acted his socks off, even when he was given the most awful of scripts to work with and I think sometimes people forget that he was just acting with what he was given, not writing and directing the episodes too.

In the Twin Dilemma though he was awful. They made him way to conceited, arrogant, self centred and angry. A bad move considering they threw all that at the viewer and then the show broke for the season, leaving fans to wonder if this change was forever and possibly turning people off the show.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 02:35:03 pm »

I think the Sixth Doctor was brilliant. He isn't my favourite but he is very highly regarded by me. Colin Baker always put in a brilliant performance, even when the script was a bit shoddy. This story for example is always put down, and his Colin Baker gets most of the stick for it, but he once again put in a great performance. He can hardly be held accountable for the fact that they didn't write his character very well. Whatever the problems of the show were, Colin Baker wasn't one of them.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:33:46 pm »

As has been said, CB's performance, despite everything else, was fine and people really should learn to tell the two apart.

I think dishonourable mention needs to go to his wardrobe. Whatever were they thinking? He looks like a stick of blackpool rock. Dreadful outfit
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:57:34 pm »

I've always liked the sixth Doctor. With the scripts and (especially) costume he was given he was probably onto a loser from the start, but I always found something likeable in him, and Colin Baker was never less that excellent playing him.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 01:44:22 am »

The 6th Doctor has grown on me, but he's probably still my least favourite - though I'll echo what's been said, that none of that is down to Colin Baker's performance.  Once he got into his stride, especially by Trial of a Time Lord, he was an interesting character, but I think they misjudged in this story, simply in taking him too far from the Doctor's core personality.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:17:35 am »

I think his performance was ok, but I wouldnt rate it particularly highly. Perhaps I am having trouble getting beyond the characterisation or something, but there wasn't, for me, anything particularly great about the performance. That said though, there wasn't anything awful about it either.

As for the character, Each incarnation of the Doctor is vastly different, but they all still have that 'Doctor' quality to them which reminds us that they are the same man. I think with the Sixth Doctor they went to far and made him too different and took him too far away from what the character should be. There is nothing wrong with making him different, but this was too much. This is based on just this story though, I have little idea what he is like beyond this.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:52:23 pm »

I wasn't keen. I am guessing from what others have said above that he doesn't stay all angry and full of himself for the course of his run, but based on this I think the characterisation was horrible and I can see why people would be put off by it, especially if they showed it and then took a break between seasons. That seems like a silly thing to do.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:48:02 pm »

I think for the most part the characterisation of the Doctor in this incarnation, most especially in this story, was way off and wasn't too likeable. I think Baker always put in a good performance but he had a tough job given the stuff he had to work with.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:39:31 pm »

I'm not massively keen on the Sixth Doctor. I like him, but he is probably my least favourite of them all (followed closely by Tennant which I suppose would be seen as quite a contrast by many). I like a lot of his stories and I do think CB puts in a good performance, but in this story I really strongly dislike the character
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: