The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 02:40:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Does It's Reputation Precede It?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does It's Reputation Precede It?  (Read 232 times)
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:41:17 pm »

I can't help but think that a lot of the hatred aimed towards this story is there just because people think they should. I have seen around the net, here too, people who slate the story (and Colin Baker in general) without ever having seen either. Its got such a reputation for being bad or 'the worst', that I think perhaps a lot of people watch for the first time already hating it. It's almost as though it is cool to dislike the story. What do you think?
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 03:01:49 pm »

Definately. I couldnt agree with this more. I think with a lot of areas of Who, and perhaps fandom on a larger scale, there is a sort of bandwagon effect and if you say something enough times or shout something loud enough then eventually it will stick. This story is rubbished by people who have never even watched it. If you have seen it and hated it then fine, but at least give it a chance first. That said though, I think a lot of people, as you say, already hate it by the time they watch and so never get past their already low expectations. Its a shame really because there are stories out there which are far worse but just don't have the reputation either way to cloud or influence the minds of those who havent yet watched
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:18:48 pm »

Well this story is sort of infamous as being terrible and awful, and before I saw I had heard very little in the way of positive comments towards it. Rightly or wrongly, that definately skewed my view and I sat down expecting it to be totally awful. I think on watching though I made my own mind up about it rather than hating it because that's what fandom dictates I should do
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:56:00 am »

I would say yes, without a doubt. I think peoples opinions are automatically skewed because it has this in built rep for being terrible and people know this whether they are big fans of the classics or not. For me, and I know others have said this on the forum too, there are other classics, and even some new stories, far more deserving of the title of 'worst story', but they either go unnoticed or just don't have that preconceived notion surrounding them. As said in the OP, people tend to call this the worst whether they have even seen it or not.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:09:48 am »

I think it does, yes. This is perhaps the story I had heard the most negativity about and while I went into it with an open mind, I can totally see where the people are coming from
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:56:22 pm »

I have just watched for the first ever time and I have to be honest, I was dreading it. I had heard so many things about how awful it was that I started it with the absolute lowest of expectations. On the flipside though to what everyone has been saying above, that might have been not such a bad thing because I was watching it expecting it to be awful and it really wasn't as bad as what people had said about it. It wasn't great by any means, but it could have been a whole lot worse and there are stories that I like a lot less
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:44:07 pm »

I would say yes, definately. But a lot of what is said is fair I think. Though I do agree that people should at least watch it first because a lot of people tend to slate it even without seeing it
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 09:43:19 pm »

As much as I dislike this story, I would say that it probably does have too much of a bad reputation. Its hard to put down in words what I am trying to get accross because I do believe it is as bad as most people make out, but I do think that some people are unduly harsh towards it, especially those who base their opinions on other people's opinions instead of watching it and making their own. I am the first to call it out for being bad, but I at least watched it and came to that conclusion myself
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: