The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 02:12:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Is it really the worst?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it really the worst?  (Read 445 times)
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« on: July 18, 2011, 03:09:01 pm »

This story is often labelled the worst story ever, but do you really think it is?

For me, during the classics at least, that award belongs to The Dominators, which I think is many, many rungs below this story.

But do you consider this to be the worst or do you think that is an unfair label?
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:16:43 pm »

I don't think I have personally seen enough of the classics to give a fair comparison to all stories, but I have seen worse than this from the new series (Fear Her or The End Of Time for example), so no, I don't think it is the worst.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:25:30 pm »

It's pretty bad, but there are worse. Timelash springs to mind, as does Time Flight and Galaxy 4, and I agree with Saber about The Dominators. In the new series there's the ones Roranicus mentioned, as well as Love & Monsters, Daleks in Manhatten/Evolution of the Daleks and The Next Doctor. And let's not forget the tv movie!

So it's not the worst for me - possibly bottom 10 (were I ever minded to compile such a list), but not bottom.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:40:01 am »

Like Dame Roger, I'd put it pretty low down, but not at the bottom.  The Gunfighters, The Dominators, Timelash, Time & the Rani and Paradise Towers would all come lower on my list.

Galaxy 4?  It's impossible to know how that would hold up now, but I found it awesome as a kid.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:18:54 am »

I don't have as many stories to compare this to as other do, but I have to be honest and say I think it is the worst that I have seen, though that might obviously change as I get more aquainted. I can't imagine there being many more that are worse though.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:58:33 pm »

No, it isn't the worst. I havent seen many classics to compare it to all, and I am still quite new to the new stuff too, but it isn't the worst one I have seen. That honour still belongs to Fear Her, and while there is even at least one worse story, it keeps this one off the bottom. For me at least.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 04:55:34 pm »

Personally no, I don't think it is the worst. I've seen worse in New Who. Maybe as I see more Classics I'll be able to gauge its place better, but I don't think it'll ever make the very bottom of my list.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:37:26 pm »

No, I don't think it is the absolute worst, but for me it is close. It almost feels like a bit of a cliché to slate it, but it really isn't a good story
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:41:04 pm »

I would say probably yes. There are other stories that are nearly as bad, but overall I think this might be least favourite story. That might not make it the 'worst', but I personally don't think there are any that would rate lower. Out of the classics at least
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 04:26:49 pm »

Galaxy Four, Planet of the Giants, The Dominators, Monster of Peladon, Creature from the Pit, Horns of Nimon, The Kings Demons, Timelash, Time and the Rani, The Happiness Patrol, New Earth, Fear Her.

This is absolutely not the worst.
Report Spam   Logged

lastofthejagaroth
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Ace

The centuries that divide me shall be undone!

View Profile
Apple User Level 4 Signature
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 05:37:47 pm »

While certainly not the best story ever and it won't win any awards for visual FX it is definitely not worth the hatred it's gotten. It's mainly gotten a bad rap because of the portrayal of the Doctor himself and I think there's something wrong in that. I find Colin Baker's Doctor to be at many times very good and don't forget he did break into tears after he attempted to strangle Peri (there's always post-regeneration shock to consider). While he's no Pertwee or Tenant, Colin is not my least-favorite Doctor, my least favorite being Davison, and I think this is one of his better stories (I believe his worse is The Two Doctors). It's no City of Death or Remembrance of the Daleks but it's a fairly good story in its own right. Then again, I also like Paradise Towers and I don't like The Talons of Weng-Chiang, so what do I know?
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: "You're Mr Thick Thick Thickety Thickface from Thicktown, Thickania. And so's your dad."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: