The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:41:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Rate & Review Episode 3: Dead Of Night

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 1 (8.3%)
4/5 - Really Good - 3 (25%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 7 (58.3%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 1 (8.3%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rate & Review Episode 3: Dead Of Night  (Read 345 times)
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: July 22, 2011, 05:50:11 pm »

For rating and discussing Miracle Day episode 3, Dead Of Night
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord

Rory FTW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 06:29:07 pm »

Here is the trailer

Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 10:55:13 pm »

You know what?
This just isn't Torchwood.
I could be easily watching a slightly more adult version of Warehouse 13, or any other syfy quality US show.
The spark isn't there.
I dunno if it'll come, but so far the only thing in common with proper Torchwood is that they show more male nudity than female  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:57:29 am »

I totally forgot to watch this last night. I can't believe it!!! Luckily I have it set to series record so I will do it this afternoon and then come back and rate it. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
TragicVision
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Seventh Doctor/
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond

View Profile
Level 3 Poll Voter Windows User
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 02:43:31 pm »

I have to agree with thefifthdoctor in that this episode really missed the spot when it comes to Torchwood, however it did feel like so many other American crime dramas I tend to watch because I become enthralled in them for the sake of it. Hence my 3 rating.
Barrowman has increasing seemed weak in his portrayal and the majority of the other characters just seem to be filling in the gaps.
Having said that, the last five minutes were amongst the most chilling I had ever witnessed in a drama. The chilling thematic music blanketing Oswald's 'real' (or just plain real) admission makes the scene come alive and I have even more respect for Pullman as an actor. In all great honesty, this is the only thing I've actually seen BP act in such notoriety.
I love my Torchwood but if it wasn't for 300 seconds of my time in the finale this would have earned my first ever 1 for a rating
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 06:26:01 pm »

I went with a three. I didn't find this episode as fun or engaging as the first two and yet again very little in the way of actual story has been given. We aren't really any further along than when we started
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 07:39:37 pm »

I'm going with a 3, but it's very close to being a 2 because my over riding feeling last night was 'I'm not impressed.' I don't mind the fact that it's essentially an American style show now, & I like most of the new characters, my issue is with the pacing. It's just so slow. I'm starting to wonder if it was originally planned as a 5 ep story like CofE and rather than be extensively re-written when it turned into 10 it's just been stretched and padded - don't know if that's true, just a thought that occurred to me while I was watching last week's ep (yes my mind is wandering during the show, never a good sign!) Last night, I was more interested in the massive red mark/blister on Lauren Ambrose's foot - realistically there should be so much going on I shouldn't even have noticed it. And I was clock watching! I'm going to stick with it because, having started it, I do want to know what's going on, but with one of my other favourite shows returning at 9pm next Thursday I will be dropping Torchwood down to record & watch later status - didn't expect to even want to do that  Undecided

That's my negativity out of my system - I really don't like dwelling on things I don't enjoy so if I remain unimpressed I'll just come in, vote & leave the thread. I still think it could turn out to be really good but it needs to pick up some pace ... fast!
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 09:05:23 am »

What's returning PRG?

Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 11:39:15 am »

What's returning PRG?

The show I've noticed you comparing TW to on Twitter - Warehouse 13. I really like it & at least I know that should be fun  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord

Rory FTW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 11:53:57 am »

I have been pretty much working flat out since Thursday so I havent had the chance to watch yet. I hate night shifts. I am going to catch up on this later today and will rate it then. I've not been hearing great things though
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 10:15:18 pm »

I went with a four. Its still taking a while to pick up the pace but looking at the episode rather than the larger picture it was a decent enough episode with some good writing again. If I was marking it as part of the overall story I probably would have given it a 2 or 3
Report Spam   Logged
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:18:41 pm »

What's returning PRG?

The show I've noticed you comparing TW to on Twitter - Warehouse 13. I really like it & at least I know that should be fun  Smiley

I've been watching from the US broadcast - latest series of W13 is great so far! You won't be disappointed!
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 01:01:12 pm »

What's returning PRG?

I've been watching from the US broadcast - latest series of W13 is great so far! You won't be disappointed!

Cool  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Jamdog
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Richard E Grant
Favourite Companion: Astrid Peth

View Profile
Level 4 Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 02:41:06 pm »

I have to agree with the general consensus here.  The 3rd episode of Torchwood just didn't keep me interested, and I'm almost ready to give up on watching the rest of the series.  I'll watch the 4th episode tonight, hopefully Torchwood will redeem itself, and I'll get excited about watching it again.

I also agree that the current series of Warehouse 13 is really good, although it's in danger of having too many agents and spoiling it.  When it started, there was only Artie, then Myka and Pete joined together, making three, which was perfect.  I love Claudia, and she is a great addition, but now Leena is becoming a regular, Mrs Frederic is appearing in virtually every episode, Steve Jinks is a new agent this series, and the last episode had the return of Dr Vanessa Calder as Artie's love interest, and Hugo Miller as a returning ex-Agent.  Too many agents could spoil the show...
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 02:56:45 pm »

I did a rewatch of this yesterday and I have to say I enjoyed it a whole lot more second time around. I think perhaps I was just in a grumpy mood last time. My frustration is still there about the story not moving along, but as a stand alone episode I guess it wasn't as bad as I first thought. If I hadn't already gone with a three, I'd probably have given it a 4 on rewatch.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 06:07:26 pm »

While it was on I enjoyed it, but when I aint watching it I don't care and I ain't eagerly waiting for the next one. I gave it a four, because the writing was great and the acting was on form, but again marked it down for not taking us anywhere new with it
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 11:57:34 am »

I gave it a four also. I'm intrigued about the triangle, but after 3 episodes it is all feeling a bit slow.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 06:32:05 pm »

This gets a three. Once again nothing happened to advance the story with the exception of a triangle on a phone, and its wearing my patience down with it
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 10:47:25 pm »

This gets a three. Once again nothing happened to advance the story with the exception of a triangle on a phone, and its wearing my patience down with it

Oooh, beware the big scary triangles!!
 Evil
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: