The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 03:38:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Fourth Doctor/Tom Baker

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor/Tom Baker  (Read 125 times)
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« on: July 25, 2011, 03:09:51 pm »

For me, Tom Baker was at his very, very best during this story (well the whole season, really). I find a lot of his performances a bit up and down, and by the end of his run he was pretty much phoning it in, but in this season, and this story in particular I think he was beyond brilliant and while I don't regard the Fourth Doctor as highly as others, I can totally see with performances like this why he had, and still has, such an enormous fanbase
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18:01 am »

I am still sort of in two minds about this Doctor based on the little bits I have seen. He was really good here though, I will give him that. Tom Baker has a sort of deadpan way of playing the role so that often he will give a look or make a comment and I am never quite sure if he is being playful or deadly serious and it sort of puts me on edge while watching him because I am never sure whats going to happen next. I'm just unsure if that's a good thing or not
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:04:29 pm »

I am still sort of in two minds about this Doctor based on the little bits I have seen. He was really good here though, I will give him that. Tom Baker has a sort of deadpan way of playing the role so that often he will give a look or make a comment and I am never quite sure if he is being playful or deadly serious and it sort of puts me on edge while watching him because I am never sure whats going to happen next. I'm just unsure if that's a good thing or not

I totally get you with that last comment, though I like it. It's a similar trait that Matt Smith has where they can both flip between being playful to serious to angry to sad within the blink of an eye and you never quite know what they are going to do next
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 01:18:47 am »

I think that when Tom Baker's performance worked (as I think it definitely does here) it's brilliant, but he can be slightly hit or miss.  At this point, the balance of power between Hinchcliffe, Holmes and Baker was very healthy and got the best out of all of them, but apparently with later, less strong producers and script editors, he started doing as he liked, and it flipped too far to the silliness.  This is how I like to think of him, though.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:32:03 am »

For me, Tom Baker was at his very, very best during this story (well the whole season, really). I find a lot of his performances a bit up and down, and by the end of his run he was pretty much phoning it in, but in this season, and this story in particular I think he was beyond brilliant and while I don't regard the Fourth Doctor as highly as others, I can totally see with performances like this why he had, and still has, such an enormous fanbase

I think this comment is absolutely spot on. I am not the biggest fan of Tom Bakers Doctor, but I think that this season he excelled himself and put on some brilliant performances and TBOM was one of his strongest.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 05:42:37 pm »

Spot on. Especially in reference to some of his later stories. I think with TB, as Nyki pointed out, he started to do what he liked and I think he thought he was bigger than the show, but earlier in his run, and this story is a perfect example, he put in some brilliant performances
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 12:31:34 pm »

He was definately at his peak here without a doubt. This season produced some of the best and some of my favourite Tom Baker stories and he was brilliant throughout
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 09:30:57 am »

This for me is one of his best performances. While there are arguably better stories during his tenure, the role was never played as well and it was during this time that Tom Baker was for me at his peak.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:22:38 pm »

I'm still not won over to be honest. He wasn't bad or anything, but I still don't see what the hype is. I think it probably comes down to his long tenure and so he is 'my doctor' to a lot more people, but he hasn't played the role any better than any of the others from what I have seen of him so far
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 10:05:42 pm »

I'm still not won over to be honest. He wasn't bad or anything, but I still don't see what the hype is. I think it probably comes down to his long tenure and so he is 'my doctor' to a lot more people, but he hasn't played the role any better than any of the others from what I have seen of him so far

I think you are partly right, especially about how he is regarded by so many as being 'their' Doctor. Some of his performances though are brilliant, so don't write him off just yet. I think you will be pleasently surprised Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: