The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:59:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Wedding of River Song

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 8 (42.1%)
4/5 - Really Good - 8 (42.1%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 1 (5.3%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 2 (10.5%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Wedding of River Song  (Read 541 times)
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:44:52 am »

Please use this thread to review the finale and rate it in the poll above.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:09:08 pm »

Now that is the way to finish a season! I absolutely loved every single second of it Smiley The (majority) of the questions were answered. The scale was simply epic, the dialogue was majestic, the effects were peerless and Murray Gold's score was brilliant.

Now is not the time for a more detailed analysis - I am sure there are plot elements that don't quite hold up (in fact, I know there are) and there are still unanswered questions. Right now, none of that seems to matter - I wanted an epic, mind bending finale and blimey I got one Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:51:39 pm »

I'm not going to write a long review - just going to say I loved it. Full marks  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:07:01 pm »

Brilliant.  I loved all the various totally insane things happening in the Doctor's search for information early on; I loved the world that time forgot; and I really, seriously loved the way they made the twist something that should have been obvious but wasn't.  And I loved the fact that we were left with a bigger, ongoing question.

The only thing that diappointed me was that Amy and Rory's parenting indifference wasn't dealt with, but as that clearly wasn't intended to be a plot-arc issue, the fault lies in the episodes it wasn't dealt with, not here.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:42:52 pm »

The only thing that diappointed me was that Amy and Rory's parenting indifference wasn't dealt with, but as that clearly wasn't intended to be a plot-arc issue, the fault lies in the episodes it wasn't dealt with, not here.

I agree very much with this - I think this was "the" glaring oversight of the whole season and is frankly astonishing given the care that Moffat takes with other aspects of character development
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 11:54:37 pm »

Awesome from start to finish. It's been a fantastic season and this was the perfect finale.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 09:50:11 am »

OK, I'm not sure how to rate this.  On the one hand, I loved it - a timey wimey Moffat special right up my alley.  On the other hand, I was disappointed at how many unanswered questions there still are.  Moffat said the finale would answer all but one.  I've watched it twice now, and there are several things I still don't get.  I think I'll start a separate thread for that.  The "wedding" bit bugged me too.  He didn't want to marry her, then he did (obviously reluctantly), so he could what ... convince her to cooperate?  Maybe I'll start a thread for that too.   
Report Spam   Logged
Dream Lord
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: 5th Doctor
Favourite Companion: Nyssa

View Profile
Multiple Badge Holder Level 2 Level 1
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 06:11:58 pm »

This was a fun ending to a somewhat uneven season.  I think it answered several questions while leaving more possible ones for the future!  I can't wait to see what direction the show will take when it returns.  I think Matt Smith is fantastic and has quickly become my favorite Doctor of the new series. 
Seeing The Silence again was great.  They are really cool visually and make a great villain for the Doctor.  I am as excited about this show as I was when it returned in 2005.
Report Spam   Logged

"You know how it is; you put things off for a day and next thing you know, it's a hundred years later." - Fifth Doctor (Arc of Infinity)
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 08:34:43 pm »

I found that... considerably underwhelming. As soon as I saw the Tesselector (sp?) I figured out the twist.

Perhaps a rewatch is in order, but I was really underwhelmed and didn't think it was that good? Sad
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Miss Wright
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/One

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 10:28:39 pm »

*squees at top of lungs in background*

That was GREAT!!! I realize there were most likely some problems, and things that could have been handled better, but I gave it full marks, without a second thought.

This episode gave me everything I could have asked for: hints to past episodes, River/Doctor, a twist I didn't see coming(but should have in hindsight, the Tesselector), the hope of much more to come, and do I even need to mention that kiss???
Report Spam   Logged
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 11:34:38 am »

I prob have a right rep by now as the series six grump.
I gave the ep a 3...

The Good:
Matt Smith, brilliant as always.
Alex Kingston. Very impressive in this episode I thought.
The Brig! Very touching mention, and played brilliantly by Matt.
D1CKENS! Awesome cameo.
The headless monk room was cool as.
The effects. Clearly a good chunk of dough was spent on this one.

The Bad:
The main thing is that it took 12 weeks to set up just for this.
River IS their child, the arc is all about the companions yet again, and most glaringly, parents not bothering to try and save their baby because she grows up to be River Song? What utter nonsense.
That bit makes me mad, it's preposterous.
Can we be done with Amy & Rory (and possibly even River) now?
Go back to individual stories with The Doctor "back in the shadows" as it were.
No "look how smart I think I am" crap from Moffat, no timey wimey bollocks series long arc with a smug pay off and no making the companions more important to the show than The Doctor is.

So, episode ok, overall series rubbish.

Even Worse: The fact I had to spell D1ckens with a 1 because the webhosts are @rseholes.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 06:16:11 pm »

Well... Okay... Secret I fell asleep half way through this episode on Saturday night (because I really wasn't well, and also explains why I completely missed half of it) But I'm back to speed now.

I loved it all the way through pretty much, except the robot thingy did seem a little bit of a cop out, but hey, it would good Smiley 4 from me.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 11:20:41 am »

I thought it was great. It wasn't perfect and out of all the finales I think it is probably my third or fourth favourite, but it wrapped the season up well and had lots of fun/sad/happy/dramatic etc stuff going on. I have given it full marks though I probably should have waited to rewatch it first because I was drunk the first time I saw it and had a really bad hangover the second time I watched it.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 10:56:17 am »

I couldn't decide between a 4 or a 5, so I went with 4 because if it was a five I don't think I would have been so torn. Overall I think it was a great finale and it tied up lots of the loose threads, but it felt a bit like a collection of short stories, which sort of made it feel uneven in parts. I half expected it to be a bit like The Big Bang where everyone and their mother got thrown in, so I was pleased that for the most part we only got the existing cast and a few new characters.

I did really like it, but it felt like more of a penultimate episode to me.
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 08:07:57 am »

I've had a couple of re-watches and after the initial hysteria I can give some balanced hysteria Smiley I still loved it and I still think it is worth a 5 so it is not a radical volte-face from me. But I do have some more observations and slight criticisms - but these are directed more at the whole season arc rather than this finale.

1. The mid season break did this story absolutely no favours at all. The whole momentum of the story was lost thanks to this and rather than build tension, it just made everyone forget the details.

2. The reaction of Amy and Rory to losing the most precious part of parenthood - their child growing up in an orphanage instead - is just baffling. Would have been an ideal opportunity to show the Doctor the effects of his meddling and really cause him to reflect. Furthermore, the reaction of River to Rory is even more baffling. Both of these indicate a rather rushed effect - almost as if there wasn't time to deal with them so we were left to infer and assume the reaction.

3. The Tessalector - while a brilliant plot device - was never properly explained or explored. There are some really knotty moral issues behind dishing out arbitrary punishment to people throughout history. These people are killers - they choose their victim and assume their identity (something the Doctor condemned the Slitheen to death for in Boom Town) and yet here, he is happy to use them and deal with them. Again, this could all have fed into the ending with the Doctor reflecting on his evolution, yet this was allowed to pass.

4. The arc itself - once the first/second episode had aired the arc was in place and it become the whole driver behind the series. The good arcs were the ones that gradually unfolded, yet this arc was front and centre, thus reducing the mystery. After DOTM, the question was, how will the Doctor cheat death - rather than having any sort of mystery about it. Maybe the structure would have been better with the threat of the silents emerging throughout the season and TIA/DOTM coming towards the end.

So these issues dominated the season and inevitably affected the perception I held of the final. There was, however, also some good stuff;

1. Matt Smith - literally gets better with every passing episode. Has managed to incorporate some beautiful shading into his character. Never before has the Doctor been more watchable or multi-layered. His Doctor is an amazing iteration and one that will get better with re-watching.

2. Karen Gillen - she has been amazing this season. In season 5 her performance could be rated on the scale of how annoying she was. This season she has been wonderful and a genuine companion for the Doctor. Arthur Darvill has similarly been wonderful (but he was pretty good last season as well).

3. The scope of the show - this season has been a bold experiment at trying to produce intelligent, popular science fiction. Whether the result is ultimately successful is open to debate but the fact that he even attempted something so ambitious is wonderful.

Ultimately, the season finale represented a microcosm of the season as a whole - if you hated this season, then the chances are you hated the finale. For my part, I absolutely loved it and I really think that it is only in retrospect that people will realise what a true gem this has been.
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 11:01:09 pm »

I just realized I never voted in this poll.  I'm going with a 4.  I loved the episode by itself, but it didn't wrap up so many unanswered questions like Moffat promised it would.
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 04:20:19 pm »

I have rated this a 4 out of 5. The reason I marked it down a point is because there was so much going on and as a result a lot of stuff that was touched upon felt as though it didn't quite have enough time to develop as well as it perhaps could have. I also felt that the stuff on the beach with the Tesselector was a bit of a copout. It was still enjoyable though and it was acting well by everyone so I wasn't dissapointed by it.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 11:30:09 am »

I went with a score of 4. I considered giving it a 5 but it just didn't feel right for whatever reason. I liked the episode for the most part but there were a few things in there that niggled away at me. The questions that were left unanswered I didn't mind so much but I thought they could have made more of the fact, given it was the first time we had River, Amy and Kovarian all together, to mention the fact that she stole her baby etc. They should have also explained why Amy and Rory didn't seem to care. I think Kovarian was a little wasted too. By the time we get to her she has already been captured and then two scenes later she is killed by the Silence with no explanation. I hope that now things have been put right it means that we will be seeing her again.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 01:15:10 pm »

I have given this a four. I enjoyed it for the most part but it all felt a bit crammed in. I think it could have done with an extra 15 minutes or so to flesh some of the scenes out a bit more. I didn't particularly love the resolution at the end but I understand what they were trying to do there so I didn't mind it too much. I think they should have made more of an effort with the missing baby story but I guess now we just aren't going there again.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 02:58:36 pm »

I think I'm going to go with a 2. There's something that doesn't click about this episode. It doesn't quite make sense, and I don't believe the characters' actions - Amy, the Doctor, River etc.

Also very underwhelming - the Silence are attacking, but everyone just calmly stands at the top of the pyramid having a chat.

People may complain this season has been too companion heavy, but I would have expected more of a role for Amy at least. She doesn't seem to do anything, and doesn't seem bothered at all that the Doctor is saying time doesn't make sense and him and River need to touch to reset it.

Oh, and the commentary. Moff is so up his own @rse, he needs to get over the title "Let's Kill Hitler" which really wasn't so amazing. Not that the commentary affects my score, but I'm listening now and wanted to rant Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: