The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 02:08:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Frontier In Space

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 3 (25%)
4/5 - Really Good - 5 (41.7%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 4 (33.3%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 0 (0%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Frontier In Space  (Read 404 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 08:17:30 pm »

Ok ... my thoughts

Doctor = good, Jo = great, Master = best one I've seen, Draconians = good & very well realised (ie good masks & costumes), story ... um. It's a good basic premise & it starts off well, but it becomes very samey - PP's post sums that up really well. And the end - well it's clearly not an end at all - if I didn't know from reading posts above that it led into another story I would have been left going 'huh?'

It's good, but I've seen better.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 10:43:35 pm »

I went with a three. The actual content was great and the Master/Jo/Doctor dynamic is awesome, but the plot was a bit thin on the ground and the ending was non existent
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 08:16:41 pm »

A 3 from me. Not a bad story by any means, some great characterizations, lots of great one-liners and some very interesting ideas. But the whole thing felt too stretched out. There could have been a truly brilliant four-parter here, but at times it seemed as if the plot was almost going round in circles (get locked up, escape, get locked up, get interrogated, get locked up, escape, get locked up, get interrogated etc) and as if the writer was just filling the time in.
And the end is a mess. I think someone said that they ran out of time while filming the last scenes. That makes sense because the scenes themselves make no sense at all. I understand that the ending is a set-up for the next story and I don't have a problem with that, but it just seemed really badly done to me.

The one thing that really saves this for me is the actors. Jon Pertwee, Katy Manning and Roger Delgado are all at their brilliant best, and the supporting cast is also very strong.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 02:58:54 pm »

Four from me. It lost a point for being a bit dragged out when it probably would have worked best as a four parter. The ending is also a little daft. Other than that though it's a good one
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 05:17:36 pm »

I went with a four. I really like this story and I always enjoy rewatching it, but as far as story goes there isn't a whole lot of it and the Doctor spends just a tad too much time locked up. The Doctor tells the pilots the truth, they don't believe him and lock him up. The Doctor tells the Government the truth, they don't believe him and lock him up. The Doctor tells the Draconians the truth, they don't believe him and tie him up. The Doctor tells the Government the truth again, they still don't believe him and lock him up again. The Doctor tells the Moon prison the truth, they don't believe him and keep him locked him up. The Doctor tells the Master that he knows the truth, he already knows and locks him up. The Doctor tells the Draconian leader the truth, then finally he gets let go. All it needed was speeding up and the Benny Hill music in the background (which now I am thinking about it is actually quite funny. I should have gone with a 5 after all Grin)

Brilliant! That's pretty much the whole story right there for those who havent watched Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 11:47:00 am »

I went with a four. I really like this story and I always enjoy rewatching it, but as far as story goes there isn't a whole lot of it and the Doctor spends just a tad too much time locked up. The Doctor tells the pilots the truth, they don't believe him and lock him up. The Doctor tells the Government the truth, they don't believe him and lock him up. The Doctor tells the Draconians the truth, they don't believe him and tie him up. The Doctor tells the Government the truth again, they still don't believe him and lock him up again. The Doctor tells the Moon prison the truth, they don't believe him and keep him locked him up. The Doctor tells the Master that he knows the truth, he already knows and locks him up. The Doctor tells the Draconian leader the truth, then finally he gets let go. All it needed was speeding up and the Benny Hill music in the background (which now I am thinking about it is actually quite funny. I should have gone with a 5 after all Grin)

I'm watching this again at the moment and I keep thinking about this post. The more I watch, the more it stands out. Thought I find it more funny than anything else
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: