The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 06:53:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Jo Grant

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jo Grant  (Read 465 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:13:37 pm »

Josephine "Jo" Jones (née Grant), known simply as Jo, was a civilian employee of UNIT. The Brigadier decided that Jo could serve as the Third Doctor's research assistant during his exile on Earth, replacing Liz Shaw, who had returned to Cambridge. Though the Doctor initially rejected Jo as scientifically incompetent, the Brigadier was correct in his prediction that what the Doctor needed was "someone to pass you your test tubes and tell you how brilliant you are". Jo and the Doctor quickly became almost inseparable.

She stayed with him for the latter portion of his Time Lord-imposed exile, and adventured with him for a short while thereafter. During her time with the Doctor, she arguably became more familiar with the Master than any other companion, and even learnt how to resist his direct attempts at hypnotism. She was also one of the first people to witness a meeting between different incarnations of the Doctor.

Jo's first meeting with the Third Doctor didn't bode well for the future, as she mistook an important experiment for an accidental fire. She ruined it by dousing it with a fire extinguisher, which earned her the Doctor's wrath. Despite this initial clumsiness, her failures fueled her enthusiasm, and she became more determined to prove people wrong about her. When, for example, she recovered from the Master's hypnosis, she disobeyed orders and followed the Doctor to Luigi Rossini's Circus. There, she proved her competence by rescuing the Doctor. Having been hypnotised by the Master once, Jo was able to resist his hypnosis on further encounters by reciting nursery rhymes.

Jo claimed to be a qualified agent, but she may have exaggerated about this, in the same way she exaggerated the extent of her A-Levels. After saying she took an A-Level in Science, she later revealed that "I didn't say I passed." She could ride a motorbike, use karate, pick locks, abseil, and even pilot a helicopter - all of which came in very useful during her time as the Doctor's assistant. These abilities combined with her enthusiasm proved Jo to be an asset to UNIT.

Jo did not initially believe the Doctor when he said he was a time traveller. For a substantial period of her time with him, she thought his tinkering with bits of TARDIS was pointless. In fact, she may have been with the Doctor for as much as a year before she even stepped foot into the TARDIS. she was extremely tentative during her first trip away from Earth. She repeatedly begged to be taken back home, before she realized that the Doctor had little ability to grant her wish. After the Doctor coaxed her, she did eventually step out of the TARDIS and into her first adventure on another world. Whilst Jo was certainly a member of the team, her individualism made her stand out in UNIT, and her desire to follow her own instincts and speak her mind brought her and the Doctor close. They were both very different from the norm in UNIT.

The duo were parted only when she became passionately involved in the growing ecology movement of the 1970s and got engaged to Professor Clifford Jones. They married soon after. She then spent the next four decades travelling the globe with her husband and her increasingly large family, until finally she reunited with a much later incarnation of the Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:47:38 pm »

Loved her! What a brilliant companion she was. I would love to see her return to the main show again (especially given the great chemistry she had with Matt in SJA).

She was brilliant in this and totally owned all her scenes. We need more Jo grant
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:19:09 pm »

There is just something brilliant about Jo that I really love. She is playful and nice but you can tell she is a little bit naughty too, which I like. She isn't the smartest person to have ever travelled with the Doctor, but she is just so much fun to watch and the silly things she comes out with seem funny more than stupid. I think she is great
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:56:54 pm »

I loved the relationship between Jo and the Doctor - a sort of surrogate father/daughter thing, which becomes more obvious when she ends up with a man she's described to the Doctor as "a sort of young version of you."  She certainly scatty and accident-prone, but she's brave and no fool.  And you have to love someone who can resist the Master's hypnotism by reciting nursery rhymes.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 07:05:13 pm »

Jo is just brilliant, every time. Her attitude to travelling, the relationship she has with the Doctor, everything. She is one of my all time favourite companions
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:53:08 am »

I think one of the reasons she probably worked so well was because in the two or three years previous we had had Liz and Zoe, two people of extraordinary intellect who were very nearly a match for the Doctor, then along came Jo who didn't know much about anything that the Doctor was waffling on about and I think it probably sat well with the audience. Add to that that Katy Manning managed to play the role in such a great way that even the most mundane of lines could seem funny or really sad, and it was a definate winner.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 03:48:39 pm »

Excellent companion. I was so glad to see her again in SJA and I think RTD wrote her perfectly. It would be excellent if she made a return to the main show, and I am pinning my hopes on the 50th. It might be fanwanky but I want to whole 9 yards. As many Doctors and Companions as you can fit on the screen Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 06:34:36 pm »

Excellent companion. I was so glad to see her again in SJA and I think RTD wrote her perfectly. It would be excellent if she made a return to the main show, and I am pinning my hopes on the 50th. It might be fanwanky but I want to whole 9 yards. As many Doctors and Companions as you can fit on the screen Tongue

Absolutely.  And if there are too many, they can get a bigger screen.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 07:41:48 pm »

First time I've seen Jo in action, apart from in SJA, and I loved her in this. It was great the way she didn't sit around waiting for stuff to happen but was always trying to solve things or escape or whatever - you could tell when the Doctor told her they had to just wait it went against the grain for her. Brilliant. I hope she's like this all the time  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:57:36 pm »

Can't fault her really. I've always liked what I have seen of her and she was great again in this story. I also agree with everyone saying she should return. That would be awesome
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 03:02:36 pm »

I have always been a big fan of Jo and I've always preferred her to the more popular companions like Sarah Jane or Leela or Romana. I just think she was always brilliantly written and acted and always great to watch
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 05:19:39 pm »

Definately. It's the one time where I really don't mind the thought of squeezing everybody into one story just for the sake of it.

I'm also hoping now that SJA is no more, that Jo get's given a series of her own. She could more than handle it I think and she went down so well with the audience on SJA that I am sure it would be a hit
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 06:35:18 pm »

I completely adored Jo Grant Smiley she was beautiful, brave and vulnerable. The chemistry she had with Jon Pertwee was actually wonderful. She has been criticised as being nothing more than a "Bond Girl" but I think this grossly underestimates the growth that she exhibited throughout her time. She was a radically different character in the Green Death to the one who debuted in the Terror of the Autons.

As usual, I'm with Peri Peri. I want the 50th Anniversary to be all singing, all dancing and set new records for the amount of ex-companions we see in the TARDIS. And no celebration of our wonderful show would be complete without the wonderful, charismatic and sheer joy-bringing presence of Katy Manning Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 09:06:48 pm »

I completely adored Jo Grant Smiley she was beautiful, brave and vulnerable. The chemistry she had with Jon Pertwee was actually wonderful. She has been criticised as being nothing more than a "Bond Girl" but I think this grossly underestimates the growth that she exhibited throughout her time. She was a radically different character in the Green Death to the one who debuted in the Terror of the Autons.

As usual, I'm with Peri Peri. I want the 50th Anniversary to be all singing, all dancing and set new records for the amount of ex-companions we see in the TARDIS. And no celebration of our wonderful show would be complete without the wonderful, charismatic and sheer joy-bringing presence of Katy Manning Smiley

For sure. It's the one time when the story can take a back seat to the cast reunion on screen, and they need to do something to make up for Dimensions In Time
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: