The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 11:21:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Doctor Who: The Movie

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Really Good - 3 (23.1%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 6 (46.2%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 3 (23.1%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 1 (7.7%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Doctor Who: The Movie  (Read 147 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:54:48 am »

This week's story is Paul McGanns only televisual outing as the Doctor so far, in the 1996 movie, Doctor Who.

"It was on the planet Skaro that my old enemy, the Master, was finally put on trial. They say he listened calmly as his list of evil crimes was read and sentence passed. Then he made his last, and I thought somewhat curious request. He demanded that I, the Doctor, a rival Time Lord, should take his remains back to our home planet, Gallifrey. It was a request they should have never granted..."

Doctor Who was a 1996 Doctor Who made-for-TV movie. It was co-produced by the BBC and Fox networks. Filmed in Canada, the telemovie introduced Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor and was an attempt at relaunching the Doctor Who television franchise both in the UK and abroad. The telemovie won a Saturn Award in 1996 for best television presentation.

The next story will be posted on Saturday 20th August Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:39:21 pm »

How weird? I just watched this yesterday. And every time I watch it, I think the same thing. The Movie is to Doctor Who what "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" was to Star Trek. The definitive "glass half-full or half-empty" movie. Some cannot help but see what is there and others can only see what is missing.

So to the movie itself. It was the mid 90s and we thought our show had died. Then, as if from nowhere, some American people got hold of it and filmed it in Canada to be shown as a 90 minute movie. And we had a new Doctor (the brilliant Paul McGann) who didn't appear until the film was in late middle-age. We had some bit part actors cast as side kicks (Eric Thingy who was the Master - he was Kim Basinger's sister you know...or something like that). And then we had that opening. Oh dear. The Master was sent, as a punishment, to Skaro and was exterminated, and the Daleks asked "Doctor Who" to transport him....or something like that.

And yet for all it's faults it is impossible not to love this weird little film. I liked the music. I liked the TARDIS interior. I loved Sly McCoy's performance AND Paul McGann's hugely promising debut. I liked Grace. And yes, goddamit the story was a bit of a romp (if not quite the Caves of Androzani).

I gave this a four because in the mid 90s it was better than nothing. And McGann was quite superb.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:57:04 pm »

Hmm. Don't really rate this too highly anymore but I will give it another watch, for sure
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:51:18 pm »

I think VA summed it up brilliantly. It has it's flaws, but I still think it is pretty great. I went with a 4.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 11:01:36 pm »

I shall get my watch in tomorrow. Really enjoying going through all these. I've seen so few of the classics so it's nice to be watching and experiencing them with everyone else Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:23:20 am »

I went with a 2. While I appreciate what it was trying to do, and any Who is better than no Who, it just wasn't very good. I have seen it a few times and sometimes I like it more because of various things, but on the whole I am not so keen. There are way too many plot elements that I don't like or don't agree with and some of the acting was truly awful
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:08:36 am »

I gave this 3 out of 5. It has it's moments of greatness and I remember the anticipation for it in 1996 after so long without DW which makes it have a sort of nostalgic feel to it too, but there are many aspects that just don't work for me, and some of the acting is so bad it detracts from a lot of potentially good scenes and subplots
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 10:11:32 pm »

I went with three too.  The good points were mainly the Super-Macs (McCoy and McGann), bad points included Eric Roberts, the out-of-place Americanness of it all and turning the Doctor's anti-gun stance from moral heroism into a joke.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:20:55 am »

I went with a three. It was good for what it was, but it wasn't all that. It had it's moments of awesomeness but there were too many things in there that I just didn't like and it felt very American, which was sort of jarring. Paul Mcgann was excellent though
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:42:28 am »

OK I too am going to have to go for a 4. It's pretty good, and I actually quite enjoyed Paul McGann's portrayal of the Doctor, but okay I did switch off half way through, but I thought it was fairly easy to keep up with and I was in major giggles at one point!  Grin

Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 04:03:17 pm »

I quite like it for what it is (it is still the only Classic era DVD I own!) Paul McGann is excellent & I like what I saw of Sylvester McCoy in it. I really like the console room - gives true meaning to bigger on the inside, plus all those books. The story is not the best, but it's still quite entertaining. I don't really have issues with some of the stuff that doesn't fit with the rest of the stories - maybe I will as I see more, but for now they don't bother me. Oh I also adore PM's costume - always did, but having seen it up close at experience I like it even more  Smiley

My issues would be that some of the acting from the supporting cast leaves a lot to be desired. And Eric Roberts - but that isn't specific to this role. Doesn't matter what I see him in there is just something about him I can't warm to (I live in hope that I'll see him in something that makes me change my mind, but the DW Movie isn't it!) I suppose it could be the type of roles he plays. Oh well, I like most of his sister's work - can't have everything!
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 01:14:16 am »

A 2 from me. Paul McGann was brilliant, it was great to see Sylvester McCoy again, and it was Doctor Who at a time when there was no Doctor Who, but pretty much everything else about it was just terrible. The script was so awful it seemed almost like some kind of bad joke; and, as for the casting of Sharon Stone's second cousin (or whatever) as the Master, I can only assume he had some incriminating photos of the production team that he was threatening to publish if he didn't get the part. Roger Delgado must have been corkscrewing in his grave. As must Anthony Ainley, even though he wasn't even dead yet.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 10:44:30 am »

I went with a two. And for much the same reasons as the Dame. I thought Paul Mcgann was brilliant and I love his audios, but this story was pretty much totally ridiculous and a lot of the acting was horrendous
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 12:05:32 pm »

I give this a 3. I try not to take it all too seriously and ignore most of the bits that don't sit right or just seem stupid. They could have done with a better cast because McGann had to work with some people who just weren't good, but it does have a couple of moments where it is quite good
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 09:14:37 pm »

I went with a one, and that one goes solely to Mcgann
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 10:50:07 am »

I have to be honest, I did expect this one to rate a little higher than it has
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 09:45:22 pm »

I have to be honest, I did expect this one to rate a little higher than it has

Frankly, I'm surprised it's done as well as it has. Thought I was being quite generous with my 2.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 02:12:56 am »

I think most of the postive response has been McGann love
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 11:49:13 am »

I just watched this last night.  First of all,  I am happy to add to the McGann love.  He was great!  Would have loved to see more of him as The Doctor Smiley  The story though was relatively silly and moved very quick.  It was fun and campy but not something that I would consider to be great storytelling. 
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: