The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 03:53:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Religious Themes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious Themes  (Read 116 times)
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:08:18 pm »

It has been debated by many whether or not there were some strong religious themes running throughout this story, to the point where on the commentaries they make a point of denying there are any. Do you think it is coincidence or do you think they were trying to make the Doctor Christ-like. Some of the stuff I picked up on (though there was probably a lot more) includes:

- The Master being in the form of a serpent
 - Half human on his 'mothers side'
 - When the Master traps the Doctor it looks like a crucifixion and the thing on his head looks like a crown of thorns
 - It's all set at the turning of the Millennium, thought by many Christians to be when the Second Coming would occur
 - After he regenerates and kicks through the morgue door wearing what looks like a shroud, it seemed like a metaphor for the rolling of the stone (though that one is a bit of a leap)

There are probably a load of others in there too. Perhaps it is a coincidence or perhaps they were trying to genuinly make the Doctor a metaphor for Christ. What do you think?
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:26:07 am »

I can honestly say that I had never spotted any of those things. I like the theory though and the more I think on it the more it seems they were trying to make the Doctor comparible to Jesus. There can't be that may references without it being intentional, but I don't think that was a road they particularly should have been going down
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:29:14 am »

This is something I have seen discussed before and as said in the OP it was obviously raised as such an issue that they felt the need to address it on the DVD commentary and say that there were no intentional religious themes. However, I don't honestly believe that that many blatent references could slip through the net unintentionally without anyone noticing how it comes off on screen. My thought on it is that it was done purposely with the intention for them to be a lot more subtle than they ended up being and as such they decided to play it coy as though they didn't realise they were in there in the first place. With that in mind though, I don't think that any harm was done and it doesn't seem like it was some sort of propaganda style message so either way I don't think offence was intended or really even caused for that matter
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:19:59 pm »

The only place I found it really noticeable was when he was kneeling in the shroud with his arms outstretched, which I found pretty corny.  I can see that the rest may have drawn on biblical themes, but that doesn't mean they were trying to push religion.  Certain things from the bible are so embedded in our culture, they can be used as shorthand.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:26:25 am »

I think some parts were a very obvious reference, and I think others are just easy to interpret that way whether they were intentional or not. It may have been heavy on the visual references, but it didn't seem to be forcing any type of message on the viewer so it was probably just someone trying to stick in some iconic style imagery
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 10:54:35 am »

I don't think they were trying to push religion or say anything specific about Christianity or anything else. I think what they were trying to do was make the Doctor seem like Jesus, which in itself is potentially very insulting to many people, not just those with a religious inclination, but those who are fans of the show and not looking for the second coming in it
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 12:13:22 pm »

I don't think they were trying to push religion or say anything specific about Christianity or anything else. I think what they were trying to do was make the Doctor seem like Jesus, which in itself is potentially very insulting to many people, not just those with a religious inclination, but those who are fans of the show and not looking for the second coming in it

I agree with this. I don't mind the imagery, but to imply that the Doctor is Jesus-like just seems totally absurd to me
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:09:13 pm »

I agree that there were religious themes in there, some of them rather heavy handed.  The fact that the worker in the morgue specifically says 'he was wearing a shroud' and not a sheet and the fact that he emerges with the light behind him (I think) etc, it was really over the top.  Not really sure what they were going for but it could have been done without.
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: