The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 08:30:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Regenerations

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regenerations  (Read 317 times)
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:25:45 pm »

I'm starting to get confused by them.

Moff has said that they are silly and should be done away with, then asked RTD to write something about them in SJA to basically get rid of them, which he humourously did, basically saying they were limitless though many people dispute it as the Doctor joking or that he said 507 because 5+0+7 adds up to 12 etc. Then we have Eleven dying in TIA, and Moff saying 'Dead is Dead' (Tongue), and yet still giving interviews that regen limits are essentially not in place anyway, but then saying that River has now used all hers up.

Where exactly do we stand. Are they still in place, and if so are there still only 12? Or did River literally use up hundreds of them just to give him his life back.

Will we ever really know whats going on?
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:30:22 pm »

I think the best thing to do is wait it out and hope for the best. Unless the BBC has told Moff that once Matt is done they are ending the show and never bringing it back, I think we can be certain that he won't be the last Doctor, and assuming interest is still there I think it would be safe to assume that the 13th won't be the last either. It is something that must be in the mind of any show runner whether they think they will be around then or not, but I guess that for now, especially because we weren't told a specific number, we should just assume that River used up all her regeneration power, regardless of how many there may ultimately be. Perhaps now the Doctor can use hers too, extending his somewhat.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 10:48:38 pm »

I think Peri was spot on here. We don't know for sure how many she actually used up, so it is all still pretty open. The only thing it did confirm as that they are not limitless
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 12:08:27 pm »

As PP said, perhaps she gave her regenerations to the Doctor, so they weren't wasted bringing him back to life, but added on to his own
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 02:31:10 pm »

As PP said, perhaps she gave her regenerations to the Doctor, so they weren't wasted bringing him back to life, but added on to his own

That's actually a really good point. If it were the case it means we no longer no how many lives the Doctor has left because we don't know how many she had left to give, meaning that it never really needs to be addressed again other than to say that he now has more
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 09:56:48 pm »

Moff has said that they are silly and should be done away with

Funny, considering the amount of regeneration we've seen this series alone Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:06:32 pm »

I have another question which may have been explored elsewhere or I may have missed the explanation within the show....

Why was the Doctor's ability to regenerate "Currently Disabled"? How did that happen?

A simple explanation would be that is one of the effects of poisoning from the "Judus Tree" but I don't think this was offered in the show?

If this isn't the case then it opens up a whole bucket of new teacakes!
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 12:37:16 am »

There's definitely been a suggestion before that the TARDIS helps the Doctor regenerate, right back to the First Doctor trying to get back in The Tenth Planet, but he's regenerated away from it before, so it's presumably not something that could be switched off by the TARDIS.  I'm really not sure what the explanation could be.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 03:49:05 pm »

Moff has said that they are silly and should be done away with

Funny, considering the amount of regeneration we've seen this series alone Shocked

I think he meant the regen limit, not the actual regens. I remember reading an interview where Moffat was saying that it's silly that there was a limit, but even more silly that fans buy into it so much as though they want the show to end.

Doesn't he realise its CANON!!!!! Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 04:45:11 pm »

I have another question which may have been explored elsewhere or I may have missed the explanation within the show....

Why was the Doctor's ability to regenerate "Currently Disabled"? How did that happen?

A simple explanation would be that is one of the effects of poisoning from the "Judus Tree" but I don't think this was offered in the show?

If this isn't the case then it opens up a whole bucket of new teacakes!

I assumed it was an effect of the Judas poison.  If they wanted to truly kill the Doctor they'd have to take regeneration into account.  And since they had Melody to study they probably understand how regeneration works, and how to disable it.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: