The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 10:18:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Mels Missing History

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mels Missing History  (Read 325 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:43:28 pm »

I'm getting confused with some of Mels' back story. On screen we know she was taken as a baby and the next we know of her for certain is as an 8-10 year old in the astronaut suit in America before being in New York six months later and regenerating. Next thing we know she was around the same age, but post regen and living in leadworth for about 15 years. Not a huge stretch, but there must be a missing regen somewhere because one of them was 1969 and the other one was 1996 at the earliest going by Amelias age.

Mels said as she was dying that the last time she regenerated was as a toddler in New York, but even if the little girl regenerated into a new born baby she would still be at least 25 in 1996. But based on what we see and what Mels said, it would seem that everything is covered so is it a production error or is something actually missing? Or am I completely wrong?
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:47:11 pm »

It's a great theory and a good catch, but although she said the last time she regenerated was in New York and into a toddler, we don't know that the one we saw at the end of Day Of The Moon is the last regeneration she had. She could have had 6 since then that we havent yet/will never see or hear about. We just happened to see the one immediately after the Doctor's visit and she mentioned the last one, but they might not be the same one
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 10:49:57 pm »

Ah PP, I totally didn't even think of that. I just automatically assumed they were the same. So did she say she regenerated as a toddler or into a toddler? Because now I am not so sure
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:51:34 pm »

No thinking about it, there most likely is some missing regen in there... Unless there's some way in which she's managed to travel in time... Or if she doesn't age in the regeneration like she doesn't appear to be any older than she is... although that wouln't make sense as they grew up... It most likely is a missing link.. It would surprise me if the Moff made an error in something perhaps as important as this!
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 10:52:26 pm »

I thought she said 'into a toddler' - will check on re-watch  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 10:54:11 pm »

same here
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 10:59:29 pm »

Well even if it was into a toddler that wouldn't fit, so I guess that's out anyway. As for the age thing that Hannah mentioned, she seems to age at the same rate as normal humans rather than the slower speed of time lords, so I guess that one is out too. Though the time travel idea is a good one (and something else I didn't think of) the only question would be how, because she seemed quite taken by the TARDIS and the fact it could time travel, though at the same time River never seems to have trouble being anywhere in time even without the help of the TARDIS. She gets to present day from the 51st century quite often. She turned up on Demons Run, she was there during the Roman era before the Doctor showed up etc, so that is the most likely reason I suppose (if they were the same regen that is) because we still don't know how she does it
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 11:05:15 pm »

I suppose the positive way to look at it rather than production errors is that if there is missing stuff, then there is more for us to see in later episodes.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 11:09:50 pm »

Well yea, I'm hoping to see more of Mels anyway, so hopefully we will get to see more of the earlier version too
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 12:18:13 am »

I get the impression that Time Lord children grow up at the normal human rate - in the flashback of the Master in TSOD, he supposed to be eight and looks it.  It seems to be the phase between childhood and recognised maturity that's extended - Romana's over a hundred (can't remember the exact age off-hand) and has only recently graduated.

Time travel might explain the missing years, but there's no suggestion in her reaction to the TARDIS that she's ever time-travelled.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 12:04:43 pm »

Unless it is specifically during the time that she spent with Amy and Rory, I don't think we will be seeing Mels as we saw her last night during the 'missing' period mentioned above. It does seem that there are quite a few gaps but I suppose they could be there just to leave room for potential stories later on, should Moff want to address them
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 01:33:54 pm »

From various interviews I've seen him in, Moff says that his stories don't always answer every question and that sometimes he leaves things for the viewers to decide for themselves. I guess this could also be one of those situations as well?
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 02:22:50 pm »

Yea I wouldnt be surprised if the gaps have been purposefully left open. It also gives a bit of leeway should later writers decide to come in and resurrect the character because that way they won't be tied to Alex Kingston should she be unavailable or 90 or something
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 09:28:12 pm »

Yes, she said she ended up as a toddler in New York.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 10:06:43 pm »

I would assume that there is more to be seen here because even if it was that she ended up as a toddler, it still doesn't explain the length of time between then and when she meets Amelia. I would say there is more to come with this
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 04:59:36 pm »

I always wondered how she got from Florida to New York to begin with!  That's quite a distance for a child to travel alone.

River said in AGMGTW that the Doctor found her and cared for her - maybe he was able to detect the energy she gave off while regenerating, then was somehow responsible for getting her to Leadworth at the right time to grow up with Amy and Rory.  Perhaps that was the best he could do if he couldn't get her back to them as an infant.  Who does she live with though?  We never see any adoptive parents when she's in trouble, only Amy waiting for her outside the principal's office or the jail cell.  Hopefully her missing history will be explained later this season!
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 05:11:10 pm »

I was wondering myself about carers/foster parents because someone had to care for her surely. I don't think it was the Doctor though. It seemed very specifically like that was the first time Mels has met him in the corn field
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: