The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 16, 2024, 07:06:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Victoria Waterfield

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victoria Waterfield  (Read 370 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: August 28, 2011, 10:58:41 am »

Victoria Maud Waterfield, born 1852, was the daughter of Edward Waterfield, and companion to the Second Doctor.

Victoria's father, Edward Waterfield, and his colleague Theodore Maxtible had experimented with time travel and accidentally established a link between Maxtible's house and the Dalek city on the planet Skaro. The Daleks had used Victoria as a hostage in order to control her father and Maxtible.
A Dalek confronts Victoria. (DW: The Evil of the Daleks)

Having been taken prisoner, and eventually moved to Skaro, Victoria became stranded on the alien planet - her father having died to save the Doctor's life. Drawing on this experience, Victoria became prepared to encounter more advanced civilisations than her own. With her father's death, Victoria was now an orphan. Having no family to return to, she decided to join the Doctor and Jamie McCrimmon on their travels.

Victoria always tended to look for the humanity of the circumstances she found herself in. Rather than wonder at the TARDIS, Victoria worried about the Doctor's age. Until her abduction by the Daleks, Victoria apparently led the sheltered life that accompanied women from wealthy British families in the 19th century. She was, however, quite capable of looking after herself.

Although Victoria loved the Doctor and Jamie, and enjoyed their company, she missed her home and father. Since she had joined the TARDIS crew only as a result of her father's death, she was somewhat of an unwilling adventurer. Victoria had begun commenting with greater frequency on her dislike for the dangers she, Jamie, and the Doctor often encountered in their travels. Unsurprisingly, she took her first opportunity to settle down with an established, caring, family. Having no family to return to, and realising that her travels had changed her outlook and expectations, Victoria decided to stay with Maggie and Frank Harris in the 20th Century, rather than continue her travels with the Doctor, despite the fact that Jamie, who had feelings for Victoria, tried to persuade her to stay.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:58:10 am »

I love Victoria, and I think she's a somewhat underrated companion.  Although she's sheltered and used to being looked after, she has a touch of the formidable female Victorian adventurer about her, and she's far from helpless, even if her secret weapon here is distracting Kaftan by screaming.  And I love the relationship between her, Jamie and the Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »

I agree, she is very underrated. It's such a shame that so much of her appearances on the show are missing because DW put in some excellent performances
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:38:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's unique in Doctor Who that in two of the seven stories she appeared in, she co-starred with her father.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 11:20:38 am »

It's a shame that most people's knowledge or memory of her is as a screamer. I think she had a couple of famous screams in the show and it sort of stuck and I think for a lot of people that is how she is remembered but it is a shame because to watch her here or in recons or to listen to the audios you can see that there is so much more to her
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 11:40:51 am »

I like her. She seems a bit dim, but at the same time doesn't seem as dim as she comes across if that makes sense. Like she has it in her, she just needs to learn to show how good and bright she can be. It's a shame so much is lost because I would have liked to have seen more of her
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:15:05 pm »

I don't think it was so much that she was dim, but more that she was perhaps naive. She had after all been taken from Victorian England and then whisked off into time and space
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 12:46:38 am »

I thought she was great. She was well written and played brilliantly. I think the writers got it spot on because it was so believable that she came out of Victorian England and her responses to things seemed very genuine, even if she did take it all in perhaps a little too easily, though I suppose they can't really dwell on all that too much and I don't know how that develops in her other stories
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:37:28 am »

I don't think it was so much that she was dim, but more that she was perhaps naive. She had after all been taken from Victorian England and then whisked off into time and space

I tend to agree. I think she is obviously, if even only for her time, a bright young girl. I think she is just a bit wet behind the ears. She is only about 18 or 19 anyway, so her experience would be shocking by anyones standards, but to come from a time where technology was only just reaslly beginning and then to see all this stuff?? I think she handled it well
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 02:30:35 am »

I thought she was great. She was well written and played brilliantly. I think the writers got it spot on because it was so believable that she came out of Victorian England and her responses to things seemed very genuine, even if she did take it all in perhaps a little too easily, though I suppose they can't really dwell on all that too much and I don't know how that develops in her other stories

Well, by this time, she'd been held prisoner for some time by the Daleks, then taken in a time machine to Skaro and had to help overcome the Daleks and escape (and all in a huge Victorian dress) so it's not completely new to her.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: