The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 09:37:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Warriors Of The Deep

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Really Good - 2 (18.2%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 5 (45.5%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 4 (36.4%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Warriors Of The Deep  (Read 327 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:40:19 am »

We turn back to the Fifth Doctor for our latest story in The Infinite Quest, with Warriors Of The Deep....

The Doctor, Tegan and Turlough arrive on Sea Base 4, a nuclear warhead station under the Sea that has some very nasty neighbours.

Warriors of the Deep was the first story in Season 21 of Doctor Who. It marked the return of two monster races last seen during the Jon Pertwee eras - the Silurians and the Sea Devils, and was the first story to feature both.

The next story will be posted on Sunday September 11th
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:43:58 am »

This is no open and ready for discussion Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:47:17 pm »

It's been ages since I last watched this so it will be nice to see it again
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:07:52 pm »

It's nice having the Doc back doing these because I like the surprise and I knew what the last two were beforehand.

This one isn't one of my favourites, but I haven't watched for ages so you never know how opinion might change on another rewatch
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:47:19 pm »

Never seen this one but I shall give it a watch tonight and come back to chat about it tomorrow Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 01:09:44 pm »

This story is one of those that I watched when it first came out. When the Five Doctors came out there was a Radio Times 25th Anniversary booklet that came with it and in the back it had details of "A sneak preview of Season 21" - my first insight into the world of Spoilers aged 11 Cheesy So I was frantic with anticipation waiting for it to come on.

And then when I watched it, it had a profound effect on me when i watched it and I absolutely loved it at the time and was really shocked by the bloodthirsty ending (I thought it was all adult and grown up hehe).

So now - 27 years later. I bought the DVD, I played it with some trepidation having been stung before by things that I thought were good, turning out to be rubbish...

But actually, I loved it again. The plot moves along at a very snappy pace, the Sea Devils and The Silurians are absolutely brilliant as vengeful but seemingly moral baddies. The Doctor, Tegan and Turlough have a really 'natural' feel to them (the three-way relationship between them was only destined to last up until Resurrection of the Daleks. It is, however, in my opinion absolutely the right combination of the 5th Doctor's tenure). The supporting actors are a little hammy but pitch it dead right for "Who" and the ending of the story is still as dramatic as ever.

Yes, my love is not completely blind. The production values were pitiful. The Myrka was a good idea, dreadfully realised and parts of the set looked like they wouldn't survive a good gust of wind let alone pressures at the bottom of the sea. But such things really miss the point. With Who of this vintage you have to look past the weak production values. There just wasn't the money around. Shoot this story in Nu Who and you'd have a real gem of a tale.

The DVD extras are very revealing, and it is a miracle - given all the constraints - that this show even got made. But I really really enjoyed it. I gave it a 4/5 (and it only dropped a point because of the production values - something that no one could really help)
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 05:29:41 pm »

I went for a three on this one. It had a great opening episode but then sort of went downhill. The Silrians felt watered down as thought they had just become a monster of the week type villian. I also wasn't keen on the Doctor in this story. He seemed very inconsistent throughout and I never felt I quite knew what he was doing or why he was doing it. Tegan wasn't as annoying as she normally is so that's one plus and the karate kick at the Myrka was worth a point alone. HI-YAAAAAAAAAAAH Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 12:39:16 am »

It's been a while since I last watched this, and I was expecting to give it a 2, but I've gone with a 3 instead.  It's more enjoyable than I remember, but I still had a lot of reservations - the various mistakes I've put in the mistakes thread, rather unconvincing use of the Silurians, and a contender for the worst monster in DW history.  A pity - it's one of those stories that, given a shake-up and a decent budget, could have been great fun.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 11:26:21 am »

This one gets a three from me. It was a welcome return for both the Silurians and Sea Devils which didn't quite hit the mark. For the most part I think the story is let down by the fact that it seems very poorly made and some of the characterisations were very poor, but for all its faults you can tell that there is a good story in there trying to get out. It just needed a bit of an overhaul
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 06:32:33 pm »

It's just a two from me this week. While generally I would have given it a one, it had been a while since my last rewatch and I did like it slightly more this time around. For the most part I do think there was an interesting story to be told, but I think the writers ballsed it up by not being able to put the Doctor on the right side and by flip flopping between who they wanted to be seen as the baddies. It was also dreadfully made and suffered from some seriously bad costumes
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 12:29:31 pm »

I went with a just a two. This has perhaps been my least favourite of the ones we have watched so far. I just couldn't get into it because the plot seemed so obsurd. Its a shame really because I was really looking forward to it. I love the Silurians in the new series, but this wasn't a good story for them.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 12:27:19 pm »

I sort of surprised myself here and went with a four. This story had more problems than most, but I still can't help quite liking it. The first time I watched it I was a fair bit younger, so none of the problems mattered to me, I just liked the adventure and the monsters, and I think that attitude has stuck with me despite the fact I am now older and more aware of the stuff that is quite bad
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 05:39:00 pm »

Three from me. I have seen worse, but this was pretty bad. It had it's moments of awesome, but they were few and far between.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 06:37:21 pm »

Just a two from me. I was really looking forward to this but it just didn't do it for me. It wasn't any one thing, but more lots of smaller things that just didn't work which made the overall story not very good.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 08:10:23 pm »

Bit behind the times but I finally watched this. It wasn't the best story I've ever seen but it was ok. I'm giving it a 3.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 09:24:50 pm »

Really need to get on and watch this... Every time I go to watch it I get moaned at by my brother for making the internet slow... Will watch when he's out on Thurs! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 03:13:24 pm »

I've gone with a 2, but I agree with those who think that there is a decent story in here somewhere. It is just that it is all so appallingly executed.

For those who fail to find the moral ambiguity in the story, and who complain about the early discovery of the hexachromite, go and watch the scene again. The humans know that this stuff kills marine and reptilian life but use it as a sealant anyway. So even though they do not use it for the specific intention of killing this is no excuse -- in the Doctor's words, it should have been banned. In other words, I think that the Silurians are quite entitled to see the humans as the aggressors. The hexachromite is not only the means for resolving the conflict, it is also its casus belli. This adds a layer of irony to its eventual use, and justifies what the Doctor says about humanity. Tegan possibly has her best line ever when she says "That doesn't change what they are going to do."

The point of the story, as I see it, is how suspicion makes everybody act stupidly. Out of suspicion, the TARDIS is nearly blown out of the sky. The Doctor himself is driven to act stupidly just after this out of suspicion when he decides to set the reactor to overload, again thinking this is okay because he does not actually intend the reactor to blow up. Even the enemy agent, in his own mind, is only following orders and doing his duty. And there is something sinister about the conditioning someone has to undergo in order to be a "sync operator" -- note the shiftiness when the base commander picks up the disc following Solov's inexplicable decision to engage the Myrka in hand to hand combat (or is it meant to be a dance-off?). Again, it seems to show how a reasonable and sensitive soul can be programmed to perform acts of genocide out of suspicion, not by enemies (who only take advantage -- again a parallel with the Silurian's plan) but by those who are presumably on the same side.

I admit that with the bad acting, bad dialogue, and bad direction much of this does not get across. (I don't know why the set design gets criticised so much, since I rather like them, and frankly I don't notice how well or badly they are lit).

One other thing -- I don't think that The Sea Devils is anywhere near as good as its reputation. Better go and watch the original Doctor Who and the Silurians. It is worth remarking, though, that the monster there was scarcely any better than the Myrka. Let's face it -- nearly all large-scale Doctor Who monsters are rubbish.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: