The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 11:08:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Love Conquers All

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Love Conquers All  (Read 356 times)
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« on: September 04, 2011, 05:02:14 pm »

I am getting beyond tired with the same life affirming, slushy endings that we seem to be getting lately. The last few years, the show seems to be going down the route of telling us that if we all love and hug each other then everything will work out fine. While I wouldn't mind it every now and again with stories, it seems all too frequent in NuWho and it takes a lot of the drama out of stories. Gatiss did it here and he did it in his last story too. That ridiculous 'think yourself out of being a bomb' ending was just shocking. Where are the deaths? Where are the bittersweet endings etc. I don't understand why we have to keep resorting to these type of endings
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:29:31 pm »

They do seem to use this type of ending a lot recently, but I don't mind it too much. I don't think it is done so much that it feels like the only type of ending we ever see, though perhaps they could do it a little less and be a bit more inventive
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:46:52 pm »

You know, until reading this I had never really thought about it, but now I think about it it is something they do a lot. It would be nice to see them try lots of other things, perhaps ending stories without the happy ever after etc, but it obviously isn't that much of an issue for me because I didn't even really notice it in the first place
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 04:37:18 pm »

I'm with TC. I don't notice it much so it doesn't bother me, but more often than not in NuWho they tend to go with the safe and happy ending which is a shame because it would be good to have a bit more variety and shades of grey
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Miss Wright
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/One

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 07:10:16 pm »

I think the real problem is that they keep doing stories that, if there wasn't a happy ending, everybody would be upset because it is the kind of story that needs a happy ending. But this seems like an odd thing to ask after just a little while ago everyone was wondering if Series 6 was too dark for kids.
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 01:15:32 am »

I hate these types of endings. I can handle maybe one a season but Series 6 was overrun with them and this story was the worst offender. Actually no, second worst. The worst was Closing Time because they actually said 'we saved the day with love'!! *vom*
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: