The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 06:26:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Doctor  (Read 95 times)
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« on: September 06, 2011, 05:57:38 pm »

This is one of the only classic stories (it happened with Tennant all the time) where I really didn't like the Doctor. For me, he was probably one of the worst aspects of the whole thing. Generally I love Peter Davison, even with a hammy script, but in this story his portrayal this time was really irritating. It was probably made worse though by the fact that he was written really badly here and very un-Doctorly. We have a story where the Silurians/Sea Devils have gone a bit psycho but instead of going on the offensive and fighting them he is running around trying to convince everyone that they are 'honourable' and while he is rambling on about crap, everyone ends up dying. His speech about the 'pathetic humans' was totally misplaced and didn't fit in with what was going on around him, but he just wasn't paying any mind to it all. It is as though he expected the humans to just sit down and take a beating just because he had decided that the Silurians were older and better, and by fighting back and defending themselves they were bringing shame on the human race. Very frustrating
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:37:35 am »

You know, I actually agree with this, particularly the part about his speech. He comes off very self righteous and it is one of the few times where I think the Doctor gets it totally wrong. His character in this story wasn't very likeable at all and he was written very badly
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:45:29 pm »

I have to agree with the above. Peter Davison is one of my all time favourite Doctors, but I think he put in a very poor performance here, which was made worse by the horrible writing of the Doctor. In defence of the writers, I do think they were perhaps trying to show the Doctor's guilt for what happened in The Silurians, even though it wasn't really his fault, but the way he was up on his high horse here, especially in the last episode, was just ugly characterisation
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:54:20 pm »

Also, deliberately overloading the reactor seems a rather unDoctorlike thing to do.  I know he said he'd given them plenty of time to put it right, but something could have gone wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:37:11 pm »

I am glad I am not the only one who thought he was really annoying here. I thought I would come on and mention it and everyone would think I was barking, but this really wasn't a great story for him. Written all wrong if you ask me
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 12:50:09 pm »

I don't think PD acted the part particularly badly, but he deffinately wasn't written very well here and as others have pointed out, his speech in the final episode about the humans was totally misplaced and made the Doctor look like a fool because he obviously didn't care what was actually going on around him
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 05:42:21 pm »

I thought he was pretty bad throughout to be honest, but he was particularly bad in the last episode. That speech that everyone has mentioned was so misjudged it's unreal
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 06:45:35 pm »

I didn't really have an issue with him until that last episode, then he turned so quickly into a very unlikeable character. The Doctor often gets up on his high horse, but that was way out of line and way off the mark.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: